User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

As someone who works out quite a bit, it is easy to view most of the population as "out of shape". How many people can do 20 push-ups if asked randomly or run a mile without stopping? I've seem lots of skinny people who have no muscle tone and smoke and take no meds. I don't see these people any differently than the fat people mentioned in the OP. They are just an easier target because of their appearance.

Either way, neither group is healthy or in shape and shouldn't be glorified. Less emphasis on body image and more on lifestyle changes is a better way to reach everyone.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    As someone who works out quite a bit, it is easy to view most of the population as "out of shape". How many people can do 20 push-ups if asked randomly or run a mile without stopping? I've seem lots of skinny people who have no muscle tone and smoke and take no meds. I don't see these people any differently than the fat people mentioned in the OP. They are just an easier target because of their appearance.
    Having no muscle tone is not a healthcare epidemic the way obesity is. People aren't getting illnesses in droves because they're too skinny, they're getting illnesses in droves because they're too fat.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Having no muscle tone is not a healthcare epidemic the way obesity is. People aren't getting illnesses in droves because they're too skinny, they're getting illnesses in droves because they're too fat.
    ^ Medical fact.

Heart disease, diabetes, hormone imbalances, joint damage, sexual dysfunction. The list goes on.
    However, being underweight will cause multiple organ failure after awhile, too, but seriously (at least in the USA) - there seem to be more overweight than underweight people by the score. It's not a "nice" fact, but medical stats can't be too far off.

I do agree with @MDP2525 to some degree, that other people may not be as active as they ought to be, & I view food addiction & say, nicotine addiction quite similarly in terms of health effects. That said, though, I've never seen a thin but "out of shape" [non-smoking] person struggle the same way to get up/down one flight of stairs unless they're asthmatic or something.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    You're missing something

http://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandre...ay_trails.aspx

"...joining a network of more than 1,150 previously designated trails that span more than 13,650 miles through 23 states."

The trail, when more funding is approved, will damn near run through my backyard, making the seventh largest city in the United States (and growing) almost completely and safely accessible to me by bicycle. Even now I only have to bike about 2.5 miles to reach the trail as it stands. Every month I see more and more faces out traversing its lengths. I love the progress my city is making to further reduce its status as the once fattest city in America.

Perhaps it is just me, but I have found health-consciousness to be a very large (hehe) concern of Americans here in recent years. I hope we collectively continue to break the status quos of modern American living.
    I think that stuff is great and probably very helpful to middle class people.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I personally think the problem isn't even solvable by education, it's better food we need. IMO the degradation of nutritional quality in our food supply (breeding fruits to be sweeter, mineral depletion of the soils, etc) is a direct cause of it all.
    Education is one small thing that might help a little. But the ag system is really screwed up, including, but not limited to, subsidies. There is also an access problem: healthy foods are often expensive and often grocery stores are not close to where people with transportation challenges live. We basically live like cattle in a feed log: fed corn and kept sedentary.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    ^ Medical fact.

I do agree with @MDP2525 to some degree, that other people may not be as active as they ought to be, & I view food addiction & say, nicotine addiction quite similarly in terms of health effects. That said, though, I've never seen a thin but "out of shape" [non-smoking] person struggle the same way to get up/down one flight of stairs unless they're asthmatic or something.
    Yeah.... thin people don't wheeze just from doing ordinary walking. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an important difference. I probably don't have very good muscle tone, and should probably exercise more, but I don't find that this makes it difficult to walk to most places, which, thankfully, because I live in an older suburb just outside of the city, is easy to do. Of course, I also try to eat something of a balanced diet, at least during the summer months when decent produce is available. I'm also not "officially" underweight.

Part of the people not walking places is because a lot of neighborhoods appear to have been planned with the assumption of an unlimited supply of cheap oil, and without the anticipation of health effects. I've also heard a few things about a conspiracy along the lines of the plot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

That said, even when somewhere is easy to get to by walking, a lot of people prefer driving, even when the whether is nice.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yeah.... thin people don't wheeze just from doing ordinary walking. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an important difference. I probably don't have very good muscle tone, and should probably exercise more, but I don't find that it makes me difficult to walk to most places, which, thankfully, because I live in an older suburb just outside of the city, is easy to do. Of course, I also try to eat something of a balanced diet, at least during the summer months when decent produce is available. I'm also not "officially" underweight.
    Diet's a big deal. There aren't any obese people in my immediate or extended family, but my active ESTP grandfather's had a couple heart attacks just from thinking all his life he could eat whatever he wanted cuz he's thin. He was a cop; free donuts. Yes.. free donuts. But yeah.. it catches up. In your arteries. He's got a stent in his heart now, all because of his shitty eating habits. You'd never know by the look of him, as it tends to be assumed most people with those issues are obese. Which, isn't necessarily untrue. But it's something thin (even active) people have to look out for, as well.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    yupp

what if we targeted anorexics? I mean tell them its ok to be fat, since that's what they believe they are when they're a healthy weight. I think it's genius personally
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Diet's a big deal. There aren't any obese people in my immediate or extended family, but my active ESTP grandfather's had a couple heart attacks just from thinking all his life he could eat whatever he wanted cuz he's thin. He was a cop; free donuts. Yes.. free donuts. But yeah.. it catches up. In your arteries. He's got a stent in his heart now, all because of his shitty eating habits. You'd never know by the look of him, as it tends to be assumed most people with those issues are obese. Which, isn't necessarily untrue. But it's something thin (even active) people have to look out for, as well.
    True. I need to watch out, because I may end up like that. I prefer grease to sugar, though.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

True. I need to watch out, because I may end up like that. I prefer grease to sugar, though.
    Hah, yeah.. donuts are a lethal combo of both. Fried cake...