• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

face wash drying out skin really bad

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's making it itchy and tight and uncomfortable. Can I add moisturizer and sunscreen? or do i need to switch to a wash for dry skin. I have naturally dry skin that gets itchy if i don't put lotion on everyday

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I use a plain wet washcloth on my face and it seems to clean the skin okay without drying it out a lot. Something like that might be worth a try and it's the next best thing to free.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
dont wash your face unless you take a shower? if thats enough, dont use soap

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't use soap or cleaner on my face in the winter, it makes it too dry. I don't find that it gets too nasty or anything, and if it does I'll use a gentle cleaner once in a while.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, try a cleanser for dry/sensitive skin. I like something basic like Cetaphil Gentle face cleanser. It's almost like using a lotion to wash your face.

If you want something really gentle & non-drying, you could try oil cleansing. I like DHC's olive oil cleanser. It washes clean & the olive oil breaks up dirt, makeup, dead skin, and excess oil on your face so it can wash away gently, but it doesn't strip your skin. I have acne-prone skin & it doesn't break me out. You have to be careful with oil cleansing though.... you want one that doesn't leave a residue.

A moisturizer with spf for the day is a good idea too. Moisturizers are basically emollients which hold moisture to the skin, so they don't add moisture so much as prevent loss of it & help create a protective barrier - which is what natural skin oils do, and why dry skin can be sensitive. Just check on the back that it's non-comedogenic & ideally fragrance free & it should be fine.

You may also not need to wash your face more than once a day. Just at night to get off the dirt & smog from the day.

Hope some of that helps.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's making it itchy and tight and uncomfortable. Can I add moisturizer and sunscreen? or do i need to switch to a wash for dry skin. I have naturally dry skin that gets itchy if i don't put lotion on everyday

Yes, try a cleanser for dry/sensitive skin. I like something basic like Cetaphil Gentle face cleanser. It's almost like using a lotion to wash your face.

If you want something really gentle & non-drying, you could try oil cleansing. I like DHC's olive oil cleanser. It washes clean & the olive oil breaks up dirt, makeup, dead skin, and excess oil on your face so it can wash away gently, but it doesn't strip your skin. I have acne-prone skin & it doesn't break me out. You have to be careful with oil cleansing though.... you want one that doesn't leave a residue.

A moisturizer with spf for the day is a good idea too. Moisturizers are basically emollients which hold moisture to the skin, so they don't add moisture so much as prevent loss of it & help create a protective barrier - which is what natural skin oils do, and why dry skin can be sensitive. Just check on the back that it's non-comedogenic & ideally fragrance free & it should be fine.

You may also not need to wash your face more than once a day. Just at night to get off the dirt & smog from the day.

Hope some of that helps.

Cetaphil is good stuff. & cheap. I'd def get that & a moisturizer.

I'd recommend Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer (spf 50) - probably good since you're in FL. High UV's.

6805349_320x385.jpg

or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion (spf 15) - but imo spf15 is worthless

6806230_320x385.jpg

both are really good moisturizers for sensitive skin. CVS/Walgreens likely carry generics beside these, too.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Daily Moisturizer because of the AHA (great for fading post acne hyper-pigmentation), but that might be too much & unnecessary for sensitive, dry skin. It also DOES sting a bit.

Definitely keep it simple & no need to spend a lot of money. Skin care is one of those areas where price is often covering packaging & branding.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Daily Moisturizer because of the AHA (great for fading post acne hyper-pigmentation), but that might be too much & unnecessary for sensitive, dry skin. It also DOES sting a bit.

I noticed it stung when I first used it but then my skin balanced out after a couple days.

"If it burns, it's workin'!"

(I eventually advanced to their anti-wrinkle creams for day & night, because I'm an old lady now)

Definitely keep it simple & no need to spend a lot of money. Skin care is one of those areas where price is often covering packaging & branding.

Cetaphil may have some gentle spf moisturizers too, come to think of it. :thinking:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Try cold water instead of warm water, if you can stand it. I like to take showers that way in the winter, because it helps to avoid that unpleasant dry feeling.

Think of how hot water helps remove oils when cleaning up dishes. Using hot water on your skin does the same thing, except in this case, those natural oils help protect your skin and keep it moist. You want the oils on.

A similar thing happens if you use cold water when shampooing (which I recommend, at least for dudes). It gets rid of that artificial shampoo feeling, and helps prevent against cowlicks.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah i bought cetaphil cleanser and cetaphil face cream with spf 50 and i used the cream this morning and it helped my face didn't feel as dried out.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Try washing your face with oatmeal!

EDIT: Take plain, dry oats, saturate them with cool-lukewarm water and massage them into your skin (they shouldn't be scratchy). Let them sit for a little while and then wash them off. Apply moisturizer. Voila

albertwilliam

Washing of the face gives it that form of pampering treatment to feel clean, refreshed and energized. For many, this process is an art and also a habit that should be incorporated into a daily beauty regimen. The difference will be noticed once you began using the right face wash required for your skin.

One of the keys to having a good skin care lies in using a face wash that is meant for your type of skin. It’s always easier to use face cream for oily skin to take care of your dry or oily skin problem and we understand there is awide range of these products in the market.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Old thread but I'd say to try a cleansing water. It seems like every brand is jumping on the bandwagon so there are a lot of choices. Cleans your skin and it won't feel tight and dry and removes makeup decently too.

Trash Panda

Retired
wash your face with regular soap and then apply vitamin e oil to it/let it set over night. wake up, wash your face w soap again. my mother swears by this. she's 50 but still gets people asking her if she's in her 30s. she has taken great care of her skin and hair her whole life.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
wash your face with regular soap and then apply vitamin e oil to it/let it set over night. wake up, wash your face w soap again. my mother swears by this. she's 50 but still gets people asking her if she's in her 30s. she has taken great care of her skin and hair her whole life.
Collagen helps too.

I met a 44yo woman who looks like 30! XD

Her secret? Collagen.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Try the Oil Cleansing Method. Putting oil on your face may sound crazy, but it has worked for many people, including me. I use it for a dry skin condition.

If you are worried about breakouts, try it on a small part of your face until you find the right oil to combine with castor oil. Castor oil is drying, so don't use it by itself and don't overdo it.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Have you ever tried using an oil mask? It works wonders. I use coconut oil. I always make sure to massage some oil into my hair before shampooing it as well. I get silky smooth hair.

If dryness is your problem, just use oil.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is 5 years old

Lol xD

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Hope some of that helps.

I was going to reccomend Cetaphil. I have very sensitive skin and this is the only face wash that does not leave my skin cherry-red.