• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Body Image

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!! okay thank you rep fairy! sorry tabula lula :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
somehow I've always been fine with my body no matter where my weight fluxuates to :shrug: I guess that it just doesn't occur to me to be disturbed by it in a way... as long as it's functional I'm pretty happy...

Funny that other people's reactions are more drastic than mine are... I recently lost about 30 lbs in the course of 2 months without really trying due to a few different factors... I couldn't care less (I'm actually kind of irked because now my clothes are all too loose), but everyone else is so damned excited about it that you'd think that I'd won the biggest loser. It doesn't really change my perceptions of me in any way- I'm one of those lucky people who has the type of frame that can put on weight without looking fat- it just is annoying in a strange way :thinking:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
somehow I've always been fine with my body no matter where my weight fluxuates to :shrug: I guess that it just doesn't occur to me to be disturbed by it in a way... as long as it's functional I'm pretty happy...

Funny that other people's reactions are more drastic than mine are... I recently lost about 30 lbs in the course of 2 months without really trying due to a few different factors... I couldn't care less (I'm actually kind of irked because now my clothes are all too loose), but everyone else is so damned excited about it that you'd think that I'd won the biggest loser. It doesn't really change my perceptions of me in any way- I'm one of those lucky people who has the type of frame that can put on weight without looking fat- it just is annoying in a strange way :thinking:

i'm totally the same actually...i'm completely fine with the way i look at 108 lbs or 138 lbs. which is kind of a big gap i think.

Mole

Permabanned
With dance music I usually just end up jumping around and not working out the muscles I need to :laugh:

Why not slow down and listen to your muscles, then move those that want to move, and move those that need to move.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i'm totally the same actually...i'm completely fine with the way i look at 108 lbs or 138 lbs. which is kind of a big gap i think.

:yay: now I feel less like a failure as a female for not giving a damn!

seriously... every media portrayal of women has them obsessing... :thelook:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I sometimes am bothered by the extra weight I've put on in my middle, but I've really mostly always been okay with my body. When I was younger and extremely thin, I was usually fine with how I looked, since it was normal for my family. Some parts of me look better now that I've added some weight, some worse, and some parts are just different.

I think a lot of why I'm fine with it is because I just don't pay much attention most of the time. I usually go around thinking I'm halfway hot, then I'll walk past a mirror and catch a good look at myself and think "WTF happened to me??" and "That man has been lying to me!" I tell myself I'm going to work on it and then my mind wanders onto something else. Plus for my age, the number of kids I've had, and my socio-eco/geographical situation, I don't think I look too bad.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I sometimes am bothered by the extra weight I've put on in my middle, but I've really mostly always been okay with my body. When I was younger and extremely thin, I was usually fine with how I looked, since it was normal for my family. Some parts of me look better now that I've added some weight, some worse, and some parts are just different.

I think a lot of why I'm fine with it is because I just don't pay much attention most of the time. I usually go around thinking I'm halfway hot, then I'll walk past a mirror and catch a good look at myself and think "WTF happened to me??" and "That man has been lying to me!" I tell myself I'm going to work on it and then my mind wanders onto something else. Plus for my age, the number of kids I've had, and my socio-eco/geographical situation, I don't think I look too bad.

I don't have true body dysmorphia, but i feel liike i have a tinge possibly, i hide it well. because i always perceive me self bigger than i am. like i'm this giant oaf, and i wonder if it stems from my mom saying things like "you've put on weight" and made jokes about it, and now i'm self conscious. but honestly too lazy to do anything about it. I want to though i need to get to the store to buy healthy food though.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think that a lot of people struggle with this to some extent, in some fashion. You're certainly not alone.

In my case, I always felt simply unattractive. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but primarily I'm just sort of goofy-looking. Big ears, big nose, uneven eyes, etc. Sort of gangly, with a bit too much weight around the middle, so to speak. I did lose 15 pounds a few months ago (which I've kept off -- go me!), but I still consider my physical appearance a personal flaw. Or I use it as an excuse for social failures. Both are probably somewhat true.

I tend to be somewhat self-critical. I do go to the gym a few times a week, and I suppose that in the grand scheme of things, I'm in fair shape for a middle aged guy. But it's easy to compare myself to the younger, fitter folks at the gym and find myself lacking.

So anyway, yeah, I do understand, and honestly, I think most people do. Especially in this day and age, where it's so easy to come across images of spectacularly attractive people in large numbers, every day (via TV, movies, etc.), it's easy to feel awkward and unattractive in comparison.

Ugh -- it's late and I need to get to bed. (I need all of the beauty sleep I can get :alttongue:).

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I actually have come to think that rejection of one's body, or an individual body part is driven by social rejection.
For me it's mostly because the darn thing just doesn't work properly. :9436: Although I did get some grief for being the fat kid.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a funny thing. I'm now about 10 lbs overweight (by BMI), which is the thinnest I've been. As I get thinner, I feel fatter. I'm not sure why, I guess maybe it's because all of a sudden I'm close to being some sort of ideal, whereas before it was something that just wasn't going to happen.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If being overweight didn't have such negative stereotypes associated with it, I think far less people would have body image issues. In the media, whether it be books, movies, TV, etc. when an overweight character is portrayed, they almost always seem to be portrayed as food-obsessed, lazy, stupid, or maybe a bit evil. It wouldn't be hard at all to have characters that just happen to be overweight but who aren't gorging themselves on food and aren't food obsessed. Overweight people who are admirable, attractive (yes it's definitely possible), smart, motivated to make a positive difference. So how come you don't see many of these people in the media?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If being overweight didn't have such negative stereotypes associated with it, I think far less people would have body image issues. In the media, whether it be books, movies, TV, etc. when an overweight character is portrayed, they almost always seem to be portrayed as food-obsessed, lazy, stupid, or maybe a bit evil. It wouldn't be hard at all to have characters that just happen to be overweight but who aren't gorging themselves on food and aren't food obsessed. Overweight people who are admirable, attractive (yes it's definitely possible), smart, motivated to make a positive difference. So how come you don't see many of these people in the media?

in my opinion, being overweight should carry some degree of social stigma. perhaps there are instances in which such stigma manifests in overly malicious ways, but after taking into account how many people are overweight despite the level of stigma present, imagine how many people would be overweight it it were socially acceptable?
btw, I'm talking about actually overweight, not people with larger/more powerful frames (though neither do I think having a larger frame is an excuse to not be in good shape)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
in my opinion, being overweight should carry some degree of social stigma. perhaps there are instances in which such stigma manifests in overly malicious ways, but after taking into account how many people are overweight despite the level of stigma present, imagine how many people would be overweight it it were socially acceptable?
btw, I'm talking about actually overweight, not people with larger/more powerful frames (though neither do I think having a larger frame is an excuse to not be in good shape)

I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight? Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight. But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that. Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight. How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things? Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics. Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences. Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized. Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?

I don't endorse gluttony or laziness by any means but I also think there are also far worse vices that are more detrimental to society. Like cruelty to your fellow human beings.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13160]Chiharu[/MENTION]: I don't know what else I want to say right now, but I just wanted to say that I get it... I happen to be a tall and not-model-skinny girl dealing with weight issues and feeling very frustrated to the point of not even having the energy to make any changes right now.

Like you, I get tired of the "public messaging" too -- yes, I know I have to find acceptance for my body and be happy in my own skin, but right now it's all words and more annoying than helpful to hear that. It's more a matter of figuring out how to actually get there, and that's something that obviously takes time and ... some kind of inner shift. Not sure what. I would just love to be able to buy shoes in a regular store, or buy clothes off the average-sized girls rack. I mean, I'm not even asking to be something spectacular, I'd just like to be "average" and have the average pleasures of the average woman, with a body that fits in average-shaped and sized clothes.

Pretty much right now I'm surviving on distraction.... losing myself in things I care about, as much as possible, so that I don't consciously end up thinking about my dissatisfaction. It's only a crutch (?), but right now it is all I can manage. I wish I could be happy regardless of body, but right now it's contributing to my depression.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight?
it's gross. less fat people means more sexy people

Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight.
exactly

But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that.Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight.
I already accounted for this

How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things?
this is why I give people the benefit and am, in this instance, referring to a common social trend rather than singling out an individual whom might be obese for a number of reasons

Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics.
if it were all just genetics, we wouldn't see such a large fluctuation of obesity rates among different cities, different countries and different time periods within the same region

Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences.
already addressed this

Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized.
if they have mental issues (which are severely over diagnosed in my opinion) they should do something about it

Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?
no, but if I did I would be working out more and watching my diet like a hawk.
do you believe people with mental or physical disabilities or people with genetic predisposition toward obesity (such as thyroid problems or type 1 diabetes) are the norm among obese people?

I don't endorse gluttony or laziness by any means but I also think there are also far worse vices that are more detrimental to society. Like cruelty to your fellow human beings.
of course there are worse vices, but it's still a vice.

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

The best argument against fat shaming is that it doesn't really work well. It might produce temporary effects like going on crash diets or intense exercise regimes, but sooner or later, people find that they've set their goals too high, get depressed about their inability to shed weight quickly, give up, and binge eat their feelings.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's gross. less fat people means more sexy people

Are you implying that fat people can't be sexy?

Maybe it's just not as important to me because sexiness is a lower priority in my life. I am SX last you know. :D

I already accounted for this

Where?

if it were all just genetics, we wouldn't see such a large fluctuation of obesity rates among different cities, different countries and different time periods within the same region.

Never said it was all genetics. I do agree that obesity rates vary between different places.

already addressed this

Again, I'm not sure where.

if they have mental issues (which are severely over diagnosed in my opinion) they should do something about it

Yes, but sometimes they may not do anything about it not because they don't care but because they either don't know how to best go about it, may wrongly think it won't do any good, or lack the financial resources to do so.

do you believe people with mental or physical disabilities or people with genetic predisposition toward obesity (such as thyroid problems or type 1 diabetes) are the norm among obese people?

I don't think it's the norm but it is a factor worth considering before you conclude an obese person is a gluttonous, lazy slob.

of course there are worse vices, but it's still a vice.

Yes it is.

Nicki

Retired
I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight? Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight. But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that. Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight. How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things? Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics. Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences. Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized. Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?

I completely agree with this.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a funny thing. I'm now about 10 lbs overweight (by BMI), which is the thinnest I've been. As I get thinner, I feel fatter. I'm not sure why, I guess maybe it's because all of a sudden I'm close to being some sort of ideal, whereas before it was something that just wasn't going to happen.

It is probably because you have notice your own body image ;)

No really.

If you think about the extreme cases like anorexia and bulimia, the people are skinny (most of them usually,) but they don't feel like their "normal" ideal weight/image.

[MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION] Genetics only go so far. If genetics predisposes you to retain fat more, it just means you need to be a bit more picky about your food choices. (Monounsaturated > Polyunsaturated > Saturated > Trans-fats/hydrogenated) Being "big-boned" on the other hand, there isn't much you can do about it.

If I blamed my epic farts on being a bit lactose intolerant every time, than it means I am not looking at the issue correctly. That is, the thing that is causing these epic farts is because I am lactose intolerant and I shouldn't be drinking/eating milk products in such large amounts to add onto the effect of these epic farts.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you implying that fat people can't be sexy?
Maybe it's just not as important to me because sexiness is a lower priority in my life. I am SX last you know. :D
I initially attributed it to me being a 7 with a 3 fix (in other words, vain as fuck LOL) and you being INTP 5w6, but, now that I think about it, variants probably do play a role lol

here:
perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. if you are a healthy weight for your size, I don't consider you overweight

Never said it was all genetics. I do agree that obesity rates vary between different places.
I think it's maybe 20% genetics if that

Yes, but sometimes they may not do anything about it not because they don't care but because they either don't know how to best go about it, may wrongly think it won't do any good, or lack the financial resources to do so.
if they're accruing resources in order to do so and not working on it immediately, that's one thing, but if not, I have no sympathy for hopeless people.

I don't think it's the norm but it is a factor worth considering before you conclude an obese person is a gluttonous, lazy slob.
exactly, which is why I said that, on an individual level, I try not to judge people because it would be presumptuous to do so without knowing their circumstances