Thread: Body Image

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I would agree if some people managed it. They can't all be doing it wrong, though, I wouldn't think.
    Well dieting in general is flawed. Dramatically cutting calories is wrong. Counting calories is somewhat futile. "Speeding up" your metabolism is ridiculous. Low carb diets, etc. are neither healthy nor necessary. And soy products (staples of vegan and vegetarian diets) can inhibit weight loss. With so much misinformation, is it really a wonder that so many people fail? Not to mention we look at success as "I lost 100 lbs in year!" instead of "I lost 100 lbs of FAT in 3 years and have kept it off ever since."
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Well dieting in general is flawed. Dramatically cutting calories is wrong. Counting calories is somewhat futile. "Speeding up" your metabolism is ridiculous. Low carb diets, etc. are neither healthy nor necessary. And soy products (staples of vegan and vegetarian diets) can inhibit weight loss. With so much misinformation, is it really a wonder that so many people fail? Not to mention we look at success as "I lost 100 lbs in year!" instead of "I lost 100 lbs of FAT in 3 years and have kept it off ever since."
    12 years of experience, eating consistently is the easiest way to remain (besides "normal" growth with aging) stable when it comes to weight. That sounds awful that I've been pretty stable all these years (I do eat, mind you...) but it goes in a line with the study that our bodies WANT to remain equalized (whether that weight is 200 or 130.)

There is a study that the body wants to be in equilibrium when it comes to weight. Your goal by losing weight or gaining weight is inconsistent with what your body wants (because it has gotten so used to that weight.) You choosing to exercises to lose weight here and there is inconsistent with what the body wants. Once you gain/lose weight and constantly stay at that weight, your body starts adapting to that new weight and that is when your body considers it the new equilibrium.

There are other studies too. In anorexic people, it has been found that they have the ability to ignore hunger signals far better than other people can because those types of people have consistently done it so many times that their body no longer tells the person that he/she is hungry even if their stomachs are essentially empty (don't try this at any extremity it is VERY VERY VERY unhealthy.) That same process happens to overweight people, in that consistently eating more than when your body tells you that you are full will increase the amount of food it takes to signal satiety.

I think the keyword is consistency. Do something enough times, and it becomes the new normal.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

There are other studies too. In anorexic people, it has been found that they have the ability to ignore hunger signals far better than other people can because those types of people have consistently done it so many times that their body no longer tells the person that he/she is hungry even if their stomachs are essentially empty (don't try this at any extremity it is VERY VERY VERY unhealthy.) That same process happens to overweight people, in that consistently eating more than when your body tells you that you are full with increase the amount of food it takes to signal satiety.

I think the keyword is consistency. Do something enough times, and it becomes the new normal.

Yeah, I can attest to the bold. Mentally, in some ways, I've recovered from that- the desire to become thinner due to perception distortion, but my 10+years of ignoring hunger totally fucked up my body's signals. I forget to eat often when I know I need to. That sensation of "hungry" just isn't there. Then I feel tired and shitty at the end of the day and realize I needed to feed myself. I make breakfast mandatory for this reason. Set alarms. I don't know when eating regularly will become the new normal to my brain's messengers. Gotta be consistent.

This is a pretty interesting documentary about weight loss/gain: (they mention some of the same things you do, regarding a body's 'set point.')

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    XXFP

I've always felt bad at being pretty incapable at saying anything helpful to people with body image issues. I just avoid at this point, bull in china shop. This started with a high school girlfriend whose mom told her she had to lose 10-15 pounds for homecoming, which was a ridiculous (she wasn't overweight in my eyes at least, maybe 130-5 5'6") and also almost impossible goal for a short time frame of a couple of weeks.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Yeah, I can attest to the bold. Mentally, in some ways, I've recovered from that- the desire to become thinner due to perception distortion, but my 10+years of ignoring hunger totally fucked up my body's signals. I forget to eat often when I know I need to. That sensation of "hungry" just isn't there. Then I feel tired and shitty at the end of the day and realize I needed to feed myself. I make breakfast mandatory for this reason. Set alarms. I don't know when eating regularly will become the new normal to my brain's messengers. Gotta be consistent.

This is a pretty interesting documentary about weight loss/gain: (they mention some of the same things you do, regarding a body's 'set point.')

<----- Been consistently adding milk to his diet. In fact, it is starting to become normal that I drink a glass (somewhere around 15oz...) per meal (total of around a half-gallon a day) and off meals. Trying to see how I can fare for a year or so along with my normal diet. I might have actually put on about 5lbs (both muscle and fat... because I am actually exercising also.) Strangely enough, it is the target amount that I should be adding anyways (about 2 pounds a week, both muscle and fat, at most.)

But the video, that was exactly what happened to me when I've talked to the doctor about not being able to gain weight (this was about 2 years ago.) I can't remember the name of the drug that I asked that induced hunger. What happened? Let's say I gained more weight than I could ever imagine. I think I ate like 3-4 times as much as I usually do for 3 months, and it was the most horrible feeling ever... even though the drug made me feel hungry. I got to my targeted weight and stopped the drug... I tried staying at that weight. The end result? I burned all the fat, and I went straight back to my original weight in a month or two. I can attribute it to eating portion sizes that I am NOT accustomed to (what I am doing now is a lot more manageable.)

I think I might be like these people. Eat until full, but can't really eat any more unless I force myself.

We truly are funny creatures. We're the only ones who feel shame, shame, shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    We truly are funny creatures. We're the only ones who feel shame, shame, shame.
    Nothing wrong with trying to be healthy.

Ah, but much of what we think looks healthy is a product of what we are told looks healthy. E.g. the example I spoke of earlier, pale skin. Tanning gives you cancer but that doesn't stop millions of people from doing it in the name of "having healthy, bronzed skin".

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

There comes a point of time where I think people get full circle in some sort of cycle.

- Don't care at all.
    - Suddenly realize everyone else is caring.
    - Suddenly realize your lack of caring is causing stress on yourself because others are starting to care 'too much.'
    - Start genuinely caring based on that.
    - Start caring too much.
    - Get anxious/depressed/apathetic about it because it's way too draining emotionally to care about how you look constantly.
    - Start not caring or obsessing as a result.
    - Get drained from that and start realizing what is reasonable or not.
    - Find contentment or resentment.
    - Potentially start all over again depending on life events.

No one 'likes' their skin 100%. There's always flaws. I'm not saying body acceptance being preached is this lovey dovey 'omg everyone is beautiful' awesome thing. I'm saying it works because it's necessary for emotional survival. A lack of true acceptance stops you from accepting others, and greatly hinders relationships. If you cannot fully understand how to like yourself you will never understand how anyone else can like you as you are. And that just causes more tension and drama in all sorts of other ways.

Your body type will remain how it is. I say, if you're TRULY so depressed about your weight/size ratio, get a nutritionist or do some research on what will work for you exercise/dietary wise and stick to it. I don't care if it's weight watchers, home cooking, detailed scale-weighted-stuff, cook yourself thin, etc. Find what works and do it. You can change how much fat you carry, but it does take active effort. (My mother has a disease that requires strong medicines.. she will never be 130 lbs ever again despite being that way her whole life. She's hovering at 200, and she hates it, but it doesn't feel so bad when she's eating right and exercising. She has to accept that she'll never see 130 no matter what kind of diet she is on, but she can get lower than 200 if she stays active and healthy.)

You don't really get HAPPY with your body. It's more contentment. When you're overly happy about your body anything that changes it stresses the fuck out of you. (If you watch Game of Thrones, think Jaime Lannister and his hand.) Contentment is more what you want to aim for.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

^That's a very... healthy... outlook.