Thread: Body Image

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It is probably because you have notice your own body image

No really.

If you think about the extreme cases like anorexia and bulimia, the people are skinny (most of them usually,) but they don't feel like their "normal" ideal weight/image.
    This is definitely part of it, but also part of it is how I put on weight. When it's evenly distributed, it's not so much that I have a belly, I *am* a belly. When I get the the last 10-15 pounds, it's obvious where it is prominent and obvious where it is, and it shouldn't be there. Of course, I wouldn't notice this sort of thing without noticing my body image.

Glycerine

I think we are attributing a bit too much to genetics. Rates of obesity and being overweight are on the rise around the world. And even if people are skinny/within normal weight, there is the idea of "skinny fat".

Not everyone can fit a size 0 or 8 but saying genetics plays a big part in why people become overweight or obese seems like a copout. I would think it's a mixture of diet, activity level, environment, and to some extent, genetics (thyroid, how one's body handles cortisol, mental health, how the body metabolizes sugar, diseases, etc). Saying that 2/3 of Americans are overweight because in part of their genetics seems hard to believe.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information...-factbook.html

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

apparently @Elfboy either hasn't heard of chubby chasers or wants to deprive them

I happen to like a man with some meat on his bones... I think that it's downright sexy The man happens to be on the hefty side and is working on losing weight (successfully) and I do support him, because I want for him to live at least as long as I do, but I don't want for him to be all bony by any means... not that he has a frame that could pull that off anyway
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    In the media, whether it be books, movies, TV, etc. when an overweight character is portrayed, they almost always seem to be portrayed as food-obsessed, lazy, stupid, or maybe a bit evil. It wouldn't be hard at all to have characters that just happen to be overweight but who aren't gorging themselves on food and aren't food obsessed.
    The food obsession slant always pissed me off. I've never been a big eater. I'm overweight because I hated exercise for a long time (asthma+ bullying due to my large chest can really turn a girl off cardio) and because I ate a diet high in salt and refined grains (like most Americans do). Once I learned about proper nutrition and rediscovered my love for exercise, I brought my weight under control.

@Elfboy: I understand where you're coming from. But I also had a mother who stress-ate while trying to save her marriage and I have a friend whose mother and sister bullied her for being short and roundish until she had a real weight problem. I think emotional eating and addiction to the "food" sold in America is just as big of a mental health issue as anorexia and bulimia are- and these issues are generally ignored, not over-diagnosed.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how old are you, i was under the impression you were young.
    I'm 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    I believe in you
    Thank you so much. **Hugs back**

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Cracked says nobody maintains significant weight loss long term. Also, they cite a study.

And there is the BBC documentary about people who seem to be genetically programed to not gain weight. It's been posted on the forum before.

Having genes that are a mismatch for your environment makes your life hard.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Cracked says nobody maintains significant weight loss long term. Also, they cite a study.
    That's not necessarily genes though. It's more to do with losing weight too quickly/not building muscle.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    That's not necessarily genes though. It's more to do with losing weight too quickly/not building muscle.
    I would agree if some people managed it. They can't all be doing it wrong, though, I wouldn't think.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I would agree if some people managed it. They can't all be doing it wrong, though, I wouldn't think.
    I couldn't quite decipher the study, didn't have time, but it looks like it's for a very specific type of dieting under specific conditions. I lost of significant amount of weight somewhere around 10 years ago, I weigh even less than the original loss now and at no point in time got within 30 lbs of the original weight loss.

RDF

Also, they cite a study.
    The study that you linked says that 20% of dieters lose significant amounts of weight and manage to keep it off long-term. Read the summary section:

SUMMARY

Results of random digit dial surveys indicate that ≈20% of people in the general population are successful at long-term weight loss maintenance. These data, along with findings from the National Weight Control Registry, underscore the fact that it is possible to achieve and maintain significant amounts of weight loss. [...]

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.full
    The NWCR cited in the study is here: http://www.nwcr.ws The NWCR is a good place for weight loss tips and research findings on the best ways to lose weight.

As for why some people (20%) can lose weight and keep it off, I think it comes down making weight loss a top priority in your life.

A lot of people make an effort to lose weight, but they only attempt it haphazardly. They engage in fad diets; or they diet hard-core for a while, lose some weight, and then go back to their previous bad eating habits and regain the weight. These are the unsuccessful 80%.

Meantime, there is one segment of the population where people have almost 100% success at controlling their weight: People who spend their lives in front of cameras or on-stage: Actors, announcers, politicians, singers, newsmen, etc. Why are they so good at weight control? Because looking good is their top priority in life. Their appearance is their livelihood. Check them out in the off-season or between gigs, and you’ll see that they often gain weight. But when it comes time to get in front of a camera or go on-stage again, suddenly their weight is back under control.

So it’s my opinion that if you want to be one of the 20% successful crowd, you need to prioritize weight loss like your livelihood depends on it (IOW, like you were an actor or politician or newsman): Research the subject properly; use safe, effective, proven weight-loss techniques instead of fad diets; and make long-term changes to your diet and exercise instead of just dieting hard for a while and then going back to previous bad habits.