First 23456 Last

Thread: Body Image

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If being overweight didn't have such negative stereotypes associated with it, I think far less people would have body image issues. In the media, whether it be books, movies, TV, etc. when an overweight character is portrayed, they almost always seem to be portrayed as food-obsessed, lazy, stupid, or maybe a bit evil. It wouldn't be hard at all to have characters that just happen to be overweight but who aren't gorging themselves on food and aren't food obsessed. Overweight people who are admirable, attractive (yes it's definitely possible), smart, motivated to make a positive difference. So how come you don't see many of these people in the media?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    If being overweight didn't have such negative stereotypes associated with it, I think far less people would have body image issues. In the media, whether it be books, movies, TV, etc. when an overweight character is portrayed, they almost always seem to be portrayed as food-obsessed, lazy, stupid, or maybe a bit evil. It wouldn't be hard at all to have characters that just happen to be overweight but who aren't gorging themselves on food and aren't food obsessed. Overweight people who are admirable, attractive (yes it's definitely possible), smart, motivated to make a positive difference. So how come you don't see many of these people in the media?
    in my opinion, being overweight should carry some degree of social stigma. perhaps there are instances in which such stigma manifests in overly malicious ways, but after taking into account how many people are overweight despite the level of stigma present, imagine how many people would be overweight it it were socially acceptable?
    btw, I'm talking about actually overweight, not people with larger/more powerful frames (though neither do I think having a larger frame is an excuse to not be in good shape)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    in my opinion, being overweight should carry some degree of social stigma. perhaps there are instances in which such stigma manifests in overly malicious ways, but after taking into account how many people are overweight despite the level of stigma present, imagine how many people would be overweight it it were socially acceptable?
    btw, I'm talking about actually overweight, not people with larger/more powerful frames (though neither do I think having a larger frame is an excuse to not be in good shape)
    I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight? Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight. But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that. Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight. How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things? Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics. Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences. Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized. Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?

I don't endorse gluttony or laziness by any means but I also think there are also far worse vices that are more detrimental to society. Like cruelty to your fellow human beings.
    INtp
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Chiharu: I don't know what else I want to say right now, but I just wanted to say that I get it... I happen to be a tall and not-model-skinny girl dealing with weight issues and feeling very frustrated to the point of not even having the energy to make any changes right now.

Like you, I get tired of the "public messaging" too -- yes, I know I have to find acceptance for my body and be happy in my own skin, but right now it's all words and more annoying than helpful to hear that. It's more a matter of figuring out how to actually get there, and that's something that obviously takes time and ... some kind of inner shift. Not sure what. I would just love to be able to buy shoes in a regular store, or buy clothes off the average-sized girls rack. I mean, I'm not even asking to be something spectacular, I'd just like to be "average" and have the average pleasures of the average woman, with a body that fits in average-shaped and sized clothes.

Pretty much right now I'm surviving on distraction.... losing myself in things I care about, as much as possible, so that I don't consciously end up thinking about my dissatisfaction. It's only a crutch (?), but right now it is all I can manage. I wish I could be happy regardless of body, but right now it's contributing to my depression.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight?
    it's gross. less fat people means more sexy people

Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight.
    exactly

But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that.Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight.
    I already accounted for this

How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things?
    this is why I give people the benefit and am, in this instance, referring to a common social trend rather than singling out an individual whom might be obese for a number of reasons

Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics.
    if it were all just genetics, we wouldn't see such a large fluctuation of obesity rates among different cities, different countries and different time periods within the same region

Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences.
    already addressed this

Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized.
    if they have mental issues (which are severely over diagnosed in my opinion) they should do something about it

Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?
    no, but if I did I would be working out more and watching my diet like a hawk.
    do you believe people with mental or physical disabilities or people with genetic predisposition toward obesity (such as thyroid problems or type 1 diabetes) are the norm among obese people?

I don't endorse gluttony or laziness by any means but I also think there are also far worse vices that are more detrimental to society. Like cruelty to your fellow human beings.
    of course there are worse vices, but it's still a vice.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

@Elfboy

The best argument against fat shaming is that it doesn't really work well. It might produce temporary effects like going on crash diets or intense exercise regimes, but sooner or later, people find that they've set their goals too high, get depressed about their inability to shed weight quickly, give up, and binge eat their feelings.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

it's gross. less fat people means more sexy people
    Are you implying that fat people can't be sexy?

Maybe it's just not as important to me because sexiness is a lower priority in my life. I am SX last you know.

I already accounted for this
    Where?

if it were all just genetics, we wouldn't see such a large fluctuation of obesity rates among different cities, different countries and different time periods within the same region.
    Never said it was all genetics. I do agree that obesity rates vary between different places.

already addressed this
    Again, I'm not sure where.

if they have mental issues (which are severely over diagnosed in my opinion) they should do something about it
    Yes, but sometimes they may not do anything about it not because they don't care but because they either don't know how to best go about it, may wrongly think it won't do any good, or lack the financial resources to do so.

do you believe people with mental or physical disabilities or people with genetic predisposition toward obesity (such as thyroid problems or type 1 diabetes) are the norm among obese people?
    I don't think it's the norm but it is a factor worth considering before you conclude an obese person is a gluttonous, lazy slob.

of course there are worse vices, but it's still a vice.
    Yes it is.
    INtp
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I think you missed my point. So what if more people are overweight? Is it a health risk? Maybe, especially if you're largely overweight. But if you're slightly overweight but in good shape I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Genetics does play a factor. People often seem to forget that. Not everyone is going to be skinny even if eat all the right foods and exercise the right amount. Sure it might make a difference between being obese and merely overweight. How do we know when we pass by an overweight person that they are not already doing these things? Furthermore, why should someone be stigmatized for something beyond their control- if it is all just genetics. Maybe they had really poor health habits in the past and are working hard to overcome that. Someone isn't just going to drop 100 lbs overnight. Sometimes there are health conditions too that make people overweight- certain medications can cause a great deal of weight gain. The alternative could have far worse consequences. Someone could have mental health issues too, like depression or compulsive overeating that lead to overweight. These people deserve to be helped, not stigmatized. Do you think these people chose to have these disorders? Not likely?

I completely agree with this.
    I really like cats and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's a funny thing. I'm now about 10 lbs overweight (by BMI), which is the thinnest I've been. As I get thinner, I feel fatter. I'm not sure why, I guess maybe it's because all of a sudden I'm close to being some sort of ideal, whereas before it was something that just wasn't going to happen.
    It is probably because you have notice your own body image

No really.

If you think about the extreme cases like anorexia and bulimia, the people are skinny (most of them usually,) but they don't feel like their "normal" ideal weight/image.

@Such Irony Genetics only go so far. If genetics predisposes you to retain fat more, it just means you need to be a bit more picky about your food choices. (Monounsaturated > Polyunsaturated > Saturated > Trans-fats/hydrogenated) Being "big-boned" on the other hand, there isn't much you can do about it.

If I blamed my epic farts on being a bit lactose intolerant every time, than it means I am not looking at the issue correctly. That is, the thing that is causing these epic farts is because I am lactose intolerant and I shouldn't be drinking/eating milk products in such large amounts to add onto the effect of these epic farts.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Are you implying that fat people can't be sexy?
    Maybe it's just not as important to me because sexiness is a lower priority in my life. I am SX last you know.
    I initially attributed it to me being a 7 with a 3 fix (in other words, vain as fuck LOL) and you being INTP 5w6, but, now that I think about it, variants probably do play a role lol

Where?
    here:
    perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. if you are a healthy weight for your size, I don't consider you overweight

Never said it was all genetics. I do agree that obesity rates vary between different places.
    I think it's maybe 20% genetics if that

Yes, but sometimes they may not do anything about it not because they don't care but because they either don't know how to best go about it, may wrongly think it won't do any good, or lack the financial resources to do so.
    if they're accruing resources in order to do so and not working on it immediately, that's one thing, but if not, I have no sympathy for hopeless people.

I don't think it's the norm but it is a factor worth considering before you conclude an obese person is a gluttonous, lazy slob.
    exactly, which is why I said that, on an individual level, I try not to judge people because it would be presumptuous to do so without knowing their circumstances
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!