User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Body Image

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

haha!! okay thank you rep fairy! sorry tabula lula
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

somehow I've always been fine with my body no matter where my weight fluxuates to I guess that it just doesn't occur to me to be disturbed by it in a way... as long as it's functional I'm pretty happy...

Funny that other people's reactions are more drastic than mine are... I recently lost about 30 lbs in the course of 2 months without really trying due to a few different factors... I couldn't care less (I'm actually kind of irked because now my clothes are all too loose), but everyone else is so damned excited about it that you'd think that I'd won the biggest loser. It doesn't really change my perceptions of me in any way- I'm one of those lucky people who has the type of frame that can put on weight without looking fat- it just is annoying in a strange way
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    somehow I've always been fine with my body no matter where my weight fluxuates to I guess that it just doesn't occur to me to be disturbed by it in a way... as long as it's functional I'm pretty happy...

Funny that other people's reactions are more drastic than mine are... I recently lost about 30 lbs in the course of 2 months without really trying due to a few different factors... I couldn't care less (I'm actually kind of irked because now my clothes are all too loose), but everyone else is so damned excited about it that you'd think that I'd won the biggest loser. It doesn't really change my perceptions of me in any way- I'm one of those lucky people who has the type of frame that can put on weight without looking fat- it just is annoying in a strange way

i'm totally the same actually...i'm completely fine with the way i look at 108 lbs or 138 lbs. which is kind of a big gap i think.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    With dance music I usually just end up jumping around and not working out the muscles I need to
    Why not slow down and listen to your muscles, then move those that want to move, and move those that need to move.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm totally the same actually...i'm completely fine with the way i look at 108 lbs or 138 lbs. which is kind of a big gap i think.
    now I feel less like a failure as a female for not giving a damn!

seriously... every media portrayal of women has them obsessing...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I sometimes am bothered by the extra weight I've put on in my middle, but I've really mostly always been okay with my body. When I was younger and extremely thin, I was usually fine with how I looked, since it was normal for my family. Some parts of me look better now that I've added some weight, some worse, and some parts are just different.

I think a lot of why I'm fine with it is because I just don't pay much attention most of the time. I usually go around thinking I'm halfway hot, then I'll walk past a mirror and catch a good look at myself and think "WTF happened to me??" and "That man has been lying to me!" I tell myself I'm going to work on it and then my mind wanders onto something else. Plus for my age, the number of kids I've had, and my socio-eco/geographical situation, I don't think I look too bad.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I sometimes am bothered by the extra weight I've put on in my middle, but I've really mostly always been okay with my body. When I was younger and extremely thin, I was usually fine with how I looked, since it was normal for my family. Some parts of me look better now that I've added some weight, some worse, and some parts are just different.

I think a lot of why I'm fine with it is because I just don't pay much attention most of the time. I usually go around thinking I'm halfway hot, then I'll walk past a mirror and catch a good look at myself and think "WTF happened to me??" and "That man has been lying to me!" I tell myself I'm going to work on it and then my mind wanders onto something else. Plus for my age, the number of kids I've had, and my socio-eco/geographical situation, I don't think I look too bad.
    I don't have true body dysmorphia, but i feel liike i have a tinge possibly, i hide it well. because i always perceive me self bigger than i am. like i'm this giant oaf, and i wonder if it stems from my mom saying things like "you've put on weight" and made jokes about it, and now i'm self conscious. but honestly too lazy to do anything about it. I want to though i need to get to the store to buy healthy food though.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtP

I think that a lot of people struggle with this to some extent, in some fashion. You're certainly not alone.

In my case, I always felt simply unattractive. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but primarily I'm just sort of goofy-looking. Big ears, big nose, uneven eyes, etc. Sort of gangly, with a bit too much weight around the middle, so to speak. I did lose 15 pounds a few months ago (which I've kept off -- go me!), but I still consider my physical appearance a personal flaw. Or I use it as an excuse for social failures. Both are probably somewhat true.

I tend to be somewhat self-critical. I do go to the gym a few times a week, and I suppose that in the grand scheme of things, I'm in fair shape for a middle aged guy. But it's easy to compare myself to the younger, fitter folks at the gym and find myself lacking.

So anyway, yeah, I do understand, and honestly, I think most people do. Especially in this day and age, where it's so easy to come across images of spectacularly attractive people in large numbers, every day (via TV, movies, etc.), it's easy to feel awkward and unattractive in comparison.

Ugh -- it's late and I need to get to bed. (I need all of the beauty sleep I can get ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I actually have come to think that rejection of one's body, or an individual body part is driven by social rejection.
    For me it's mostly because the darn thing just doesn't work properly. Although I did get some grief for being the fat kid.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's a funny thing. I'm now about 10 lbs overweight (by BMI), which is the thinnest I've been. As I get thinner, I feel fatter. I'm not sure why, I guess maybe it's because all of a sudden I'm close to being some sort of ideal, whereas before it was something that just wasn't going to happen.