• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm fat and need to lose 30lbs

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a free gym membership for the next 6 months but i need tips on what to do there, and what would be a good number of calories to consume. Because i'm a fish out of water at the gym. I use to be able to do whatever I wanted and stay skinny. now i'm getting older and my body is betraying me

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll try to make this easier to understand, someone might have a better way of explaining than I can. Some research might have to be done, so I'll be bolding some terms.

How much do you weigh, that is the first thing in knowing how much you'd want to consume.

I'm assuming you want to tone and add endurance to your current muscles but not bulk?

You can choose between body-weight and dumbbell/plated exercises.

Compound exercises
are generally favored as it targets more muscles than isolated exercises (doing a pull-up uses more muscles than the bicep curl.)

You can do some serious toning and endurance training and lose weight (especially if it is fat.) I don't know what exercises you like though. What most people consider endurance training is doing 10 or more of an exercises with a certain weight. There is a different way to do endurance training and toning, that that is using your body-weight for most of them. Think of people in gymnastics, many of them are skinny, but they are extremely strong in what they are doing (a person bulking like Arnold won't be able to do those types of exercises.) All I can do is offer you suggestions (you must experiment) though.

Do your gym have any rock-climbing walls with coaches willing to teach you free/cheap? Wall climbing can tone your whole body (and not to be taken lightly as you'd be sweating once you are done.)

Are you willing to try to do up to 20 or so pull-ups and push-ups?

Are you willing to do 10+ squats of variable weights (if you can do up to 20 or so with easy weights, that is some serious toning.) You can even do lots of squats with no weights but your body if you want.

Are you willing to run for 10 minutes at variable speeds?

If you are willing to spend some with a coach who can train you in what you are looking for, that will certainly help.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'll try to make this easier to understand, someone might have a better way of explaining than I can. Some research might have to be done, so I'll be bolding some terms.

How much do you weigh, that is the first thing in knowing how much you'd want to consume.

I'm assuming you want to tone and add endurance to your current muscles but not bulk?

You can choose between body-weight and dumbbell/plated exercises.

Compound exercises
are generally favored as it targets more muscles than isolated exercises (doing a pull-up uses more muscles than the bicep curl.)

You can do some serious toning and endurance training and lose weight (especially if it is fat.) I don't know what exercises you like though. What most people consider endurance training is doing 10 or more of an exercises with a certain weight. There is a different way to do endurance training and toning, that that is using your body-weight for most of them. Think of people in gymnastics, many of them are skinny, but they are extremely strong in what they are doing (a person bulking like Arnold won't be able to do those types of exercises.) All I can do is offer you suggestions (you must experiment) though.

Do your gym have any rock-climbing walls with coaches willing to teach you free/cheap? Wall climbing can tone your whole body (and not to be taken lightly as you'd be sweating once you are done.)

Are you willing to try to do up to 20 or so pull-ups and push-ups?

Are you willing to do 10+ squats of variable weights (if you can do up to 20 or so with easy weights, that is some serious toning.) You can even do lots of squats with no weights but your body if you want.

Are you willing to run for 10 minutes at variable speeds?

If you are willing to spend some with a coach who can train you in what you are looking for, that will certainly help.
5'7" one scale saiid 155lbs the other said 164lbs either way its too much

willing to do 20 pull-ups/push ups, 10+ squates, willing to run,don't know about the wall, the gym just moved locations so its under construction still, they have the weights and cardio stuff.

R

Riva

I love hitting the gym. Mine are though to gain muscles/weight than to lose weight.

Since obviously you'd be doing more cardio than resistance exercises remember to do HIIT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Aerobic_benefits

You can also do resistance exercises aimed at losing fat. Believe it or not doing weight training (even it the exercises are aimed at gaining muscles) helps lose more fat than one realizes. A good article I would recommend is this.

Also it's a good idea to separate a time in your day to hit the gym and hit the gym at this particular time as if it was a religious practice.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
5'7" one scale saiid 155lbs the other said 164lbs either way its too much

willing to do 20 pull-ups/push ups, 10+ squates, willing to run,don't know about the wall, the gym just moved locations so its under construction still, they have the weights and cardio stuff.

Ok, I don't know your age, but if you want to lose weight healthily, you'd need to eat about 1500-1800 calories a day to lose a pound a week (1800 if you think you'd be active enough to sweat, 1500 if you are doing less intensive workouts.) When I say healthy, 2 pounds is the max you should be willing to lose a week (otherwise some people have the reaction when they lose all the weight they wanted... to gain all of that back with a vengeance.) Try to strive for ~600 calories over 3 meals and look for meals that are particularly nutritious. A meal and drink can easily touch 600+ if you aren't careful. You might need to research meals and look at the back of the label to see how much calorie and nutrients are in the food.

This means high protein/nutrients but low calorie.

Some people can go crazy with push ups, pulls ups, and squats (but they use nothing but their own weight.) You might end up bulking a bit, but not as fast as someone who does weighted training to bulk. There many varied form to exercising doing the pull up and push-up (each targeting a slightly different area of the muscles.)

There are other body exercises that you can research that targets other muscles more (the back, the abs, the sides, etc.) I tend to do hyper-extensions and crunches using the same equipment as the hyper-extensions for the lower back and abs

I love hitting the gym. Mine are though to gain muscles/weight than to lose weight.

Since obviously you'd be doing more cardio than resistance exercises remember to do HIIT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Aerobic_benefits

You can also do resistance exercises aimed at losing fat. Believe it or not doing weight training (even it the exercises are aimed at gaining muscles) helps lose more fat than one realizes. A good article I would recommend is this.

Also it's a good idea to separate a time in your day to hit the gym and hit the gym at this particular time as if it was a religious practice.

All good points,

Weighted training for endurance also works to burn fat even though it can end up adding some muscle over time. (you can think of some women doing 10 pound dumbbells 20-30 times each per arm.)

The gym I go to is crowded around 6-8am, 12-2pm, and 6-8pm. If you are adverse to crowds, prpl, I'd avoid those times, but you'd need to check out the times for your gym as your place might be slightly different with the times.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ok 600 Cals per meal is gonna be hard, but i can do it. So I was wondering if the heart rate things on the machines are accurate. because when i first started it said my heart rate was 170 and i don't think it was actually that high because when i finished it was 140

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok 600 Cals per meal is gonna be hard, but i can do it. So I was wondering if the heart rate things on the machines are accurate. because when i first started it said my heart rate was 170 and i don't think it was actually that high because when i finished it was 140

If we are talking about treadmills and similar equipment, they aren't "accurate" initially. When you hold them long enough, the heart rate will start becoming more consistent and will go to the correct heart-rate. I don't advise holding them for long though if you are planning to run more intensively because it tends to get in the way of running.

G

Glycerine

Eat a lot of LEAN protein daily... half your body weight in oz for your body to build muscle.
Also eat some crappy carbs within 30-45 minutes after you work out or the workout is pretty useless.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Me too! I walk up when no one is looking, whack it with a big stick, and sneak away.
:laugh:

I don't mind the gym, just the people in it. ;)

Prpz, don't any carbs after lunch, and drink TONS of water. Most of the time we mistaken hunger for dehydration, which is why it's important to drink water. It also fills you up! That's how I lost my weight.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

I don't mind the gym, just the people in it.

Hah, I still have problems with not giving a fuck about other people at the gym. It is like you're paranoid of people watching you exercise or something. And those people are like, "HEY EVERYONE, look at that guy exercise!" :laugh:

Most people at the gym really do not care enough for other people exercising though unless it is for something specific. I mean, most of us are there to get fit? :shrug:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'm not worried about them watching me, I just don't like being around them. :alttongue:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my friend who is big and has body image issues was told by a jerk face who was fit that she didn't belong at the gym. Jerk-face, I mean how else are you suppose to get fit if you don't work out?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
What a fucking asshole!! He should lose his membership for that shit!!!

G

garbage

Nothing worse than people who are way into a hobby denigrating those who aren't as into it :dont:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my friend who is big and has body image issues was told by a jerk face who was fit that she didn't belong at the gym. Jerk-face, I mean how else are you suppose to get fit if you don't work out?

Yes, it is best to ignore those people.

You can group up with her to exercise, it might be less likely to happen with a partner. Your friend can also do body-weight exercises alone (at home or some place in the open) until she has a better image of her own body to go to the gym. Many of the body-weight exercises, with the exception of pull-ups (can buy your own pull-up bar) and rock-climbing don't require a gym membership. The only time you'd need equipment is when you want to add more weight to your exercises. Other than that, all you need is your body and some discipline in exercising(picking and choosing what part(s) of the body you are trying to target.)

So, if your friend had a bad experience with those people, she can try doing body-weight exercises away from the gym. It shouldn't be a chronic thing, nor should people really be thinking about those things when everyone in there is trying to exercise.

But if it was during the first 3 months after new years, there might of been a reason why people were so rude (usually the most packed with people trying to do their new years resolution or something.)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing that worked best for me to keep weight off (never really had to lose much, just maintain healthy weight) was aerobics classes. I did traditional high-impact, then switched to step. I liked the predictable schedule and not having to think about the mix or routines; the instructor took care of all that. As for heart rate, no substitute for checking it yourself directly a few times during cardio training, either at the wrist, or (usually easier) at the carotid artery.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would suggest foruming on a smartphone while you're working out, because foruming on a desktop isn't going to do shit...and it's very hard to walk on a treadmill while posting on a desktop. And they're not really heavy enough anymore to make legitimate weights...but they are awkward.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm thinking I might need to change my eating habits, because I don't think i consume more than 1800 kcals a day, but I consume them all at once. like i don't eat don't eat don't eat starving ravage the fridge