• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm fat and need to lose 30lbs

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm thinking I might need to change my eating habits, because I don't think i consume more than 1800 kcals a day, but I consume them all at once. like i don't eat don't eat don't eat starving ravage the fridge

If you can, split it into 3 pieces with a snack after workout. One in the morning, another an hour before workout, a snack after workout, and dinner (or in another order whichever time you prefer to workout at.).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If you can, split it into 3 pieces with a snack after workout. One in the morning, another an hour before workout, a snack after workout, and dinner (or in another order whichever time you prefer to workout at.).

yeah I didn't do well today, but there's always tomorrow

I had soup which was 120 cals for lunch than pizza for dinner which according to google and the amount i ate was 596 so that's 716 calories. So I didn't snack today and was good but if i don't snack i don't think I consume enough calories. I probably should eat more, but when i get depressed about weight I tend to stop eating mostly.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah I didn't do well today, but there's always tomorrow

I had soup which was 120 cals for lunch than pizza for dinner which according to google and the amount i ate was 596 so that's 716 calories. So I didn't snack today and was good but if i don't snack i don't think I consume enough calories. I probably should eat more, but when i get depressed about weight I tend to stop eating mostly.

I find liquid being the easiest thing to ingest when I think I can't fit anymore. I was going to suggest drinking a glass of milk every few hours if you aren't in the right frame of mind, but milk tends to be more of a bulking situation (Even though I am a bit lactose intolerant, I can gulp an 8 oz glass every hour without any intense side-effects, other than farting.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I started a spread sheet to keep track of calories and what I'm eating hopefully it will give me insight on what I need more/less of

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you good at keeping track of things like that? Some people are excellent at it; I am not one of those people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Then that's a great idea. Seeing things written down seem to make them more 'real' and help with being aware of them.
Yeah I consumed about 1506 Calories yesterday, so I think I'm just too sendentry so I need to be more active. Because I ate a lot for me yesterday

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I consumed about 1506 Calories yesterday, so I think I'm just too sendentry so I need to be more active. Because I ate a lot for me yesterday

*nod* That does make a huge difference. For me, that's the one that's the hardest. I can forget to eat, but I have to put in a lot of effort to really move my body in ways I'm not used to. It's why I prefer weight-lifting as it's quicker and builds up muscle, so every move I make, even standing, burns more calories. Hope you don't have that problem.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
boyfriend lost quite a bit of weight by using the app MyFitnessPal, which held him accountable for everything he ate and any exercise he did... he's the spreadsheet and accountability loving type anyways :dry:

I accidentally dropped a few sizes by taking on a physically demanding job even though I now eat like a horse because I'm famished :laugh: that's always a possibility!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
boyfriend lost quite a bit of weight by using the app MyFitnessPal, which held him accountable for everything he ate and any exercise he did... he's the spreadsheet and accountability loving type anyways :dry:

I accidentally dropped a few sizes by taking on a physically demanding job even though I now eat like a horse because I'm famished :laugh: that's always a possibility!
I love spread sheets and being accountable though I do best being accountable to others, myself is like meh what am i gonna do if i don't follow through? nothing

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you remember to take before pics? Because you may be kicking yourself later if not. I've seen people do periodic pic-taking in order to see how far they've come too. It's pretty cool to see the changes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I would highly recommend coupling diet and exercise. Just doing one won't be enough.. but if you already eat relatively healthy, here's some beginner tips. (I train my mother, who's got a disease and she's pretty newbish when it comes to exercise.)

- Warm up and cool down. Nothing fancy, take about 5-10 minutes for each. For a warm up you want to do some simple moves to get your heart rate up and get your body and muscles warm. http://www.usfsa.org/content/Exercises.pdf These are really awesome, just pick a couple you like.
- Cardio for about 20 minutes. This will burn off your quick energy, making everything you do afterwards pure fat-burn and muscle-gain. Walking on the treadmill, swimming, jogging, playing a sport, anything you want. If you walk, aim for about a 15-17 minute mile pace (or, if you don't know what that feels like, walk and sing along with a song.. if you have trouble singing and don't really feel like it then you're good. If you absolutely cannot talk, you're working more than you really need to for this segment. It should be uncomfortable, but not killing you.)
- Switch off and try new things. Lifting weights really should be your focus to begin with, because building muscle means burning fat.. so just do a circuit. Usually they line all the leg machines, ab machines, and arm machines up in a row. Switch it off--do arms and back one day, legs the next day, and maybe a longer cardio session the third day. Just jump on the machines, push the weight around for 3 reps of 8-12 and then jump on the next machine. Don't worry about how much weight you can do... just adjust it until you can do at least 8-12 reps. You should have a lot of difficulty completing those reps, but not enough that you cannot do three sets of them. It should not feel easy, but you shouldn't feel like you're dying on them.
- Work on your abs every day. Spend the last few moments of your work out working on crunches and left lifts and things like that. Your abs can handle daily work outs and it really is necessary to keep your core up with the rest of your body. Those muscles are deep and layered so making sure you get to them all means every time you work out you need to focus on them a little.
- Cool downs should be stretching. Warm ups should not be straight-out stretching because it really isn't good for your muscles, but stretching is the best way to prevent lactic acid burning in your muscles, injuries, sprains, and aches.

Also, obligatory disclaimer that water is important here. I don't know what kind of gym you have, but if you have one with a pool I highly recommend swimming. It is fun, and it is the best workout there is. If you have classes you can attend, you might want to get into those because the instructors will try to hold you at least somewhat accountable for coming back. Even if you feel silly during it, it is still a guided work out by a professional. If it is just weights, feel free to ask others what they do people are usually MORE than happy to tell you how to work out Lol..

As far as eating habits. I just discovered this "salad in a mason jar" thing and it really is saving my vegetable crisper. Pastas you can never go wrong with. skinnytaste.com has a lot of really awesome recipes for substitution-based cooking and eating. I know you like to experiment so maybe just find some tasty go-to meals and stick with them for a while?

Don't know what everyone else wrote, but good luck with it all.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
Losing weight is all about caloric spread--the difference in what you burn and what you consume. It is very difficult to reach an effective spread without both diet and exercise.

With that said, there are a few key points to remember about each:

Exercise:
The best time of day for fat burning is first thing in the morning before you eat anything. This forces the body to find and use energy which your body already has. This also contributes to motivating you for the rest of the day not to eat off your work with nutritionally sub-par food.

Ever read the nutritional label and see "Calories", followed by "Calories from fat" and realize they aren't the same thing? The same applies to the fuel that your body uses to perform a workout... not all of the fuel you burn is from fat, just like not all the fuel you consume is from fat, and yet excess fuel is always converted to fat. To lose that fat, you need to reverse that process and that takes certain conditions. The ratio of fat calories burned to total calories burned is highest at a BPM of ~60-65% of max. This means that by doing a steady-paced workout, you may burn less overall calories in the same amount of time but more of those will be fat. Also, your body will not actively start using fat as the primary source of energy until you are about 25-30 minutes into your workout anyways. An effective fat burning workout will keep you at a BPM of 60-65% for 50-90 minutes.

Although any intensive exercise done regularly will help you lose weight, a lot of people think that their 20-30 minute sweat-puddle cardio sessions means they're losing the most fat, when it was actually that person doing a leisurely 3 mph on the treadmill as you walked past thinking how much better your commitment is than theirs because you work so hard at the gym. Truth is, you'd never burn as many calories from fat as that person if they did a full 90 minutes.

Diet:
Since you have the help of exercise to create a calorie spread, you shouldn't need crash dieting or to starve yourself on 1200 calories-a-day or something. Instead, focus on the content of what you're eating and start making better choices about nutrition without worrying too much about calories. This is a learned skill and will take time to develop. For more information on effective dieting, see my other post here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50835&page=2&p=2081162&viewfull=1#post2081162

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Losing weight is all about caloric spread--the difference in what you burn and what you consume. It is very difficult to reach an effective spread without both diet and exercise.

With that said, there are a few key points to remember about each:

Exercise:
The best time of day for fat burning is first thing in the morning before you eat anything. This also contributes to motivating you for the rest of the day not to eat off your work with nutritionally sub-par food. The ratio of fat calories burned to total calories burned is highest at a BPM of ~60-65% of max. This means that by doing a steady-paced workout, you may burn less overall calories in the same amount of time but more of those will be fat. Also, your body will not actively start using fat for energy until after about 25-30 minutes of your workout. Although, done regularly any activity can be effective for weight loss, the above two facts means that the best way to burn calories is not high-intensity cardio. It is better to maintain a BPM of 60-65% for 60-90 minutes... for many, this may be a walking pace of only 3-4 mph.

Diet:
Since you have the help of exercise to create a calorie spread, you shouldn't need crash dieting or to starve yourself on 1200 calories-a-day or something. Instead, focus on the content of what you're eating and start making better choices about nutrition without worrying too much about calories. This is a learned skill and will take time to develop. For more information on effective dieting, see my other post here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50835&page=2&p=2081162&viewfull=1#post2081162
I tend to eat less than a 1000 on average a day unless i wake up 2am and snack than i get up to 1500 I don't try to do this, it just happens. I might try 6 small meals cuz I get bored with eating which is why i don't eat a lot in one setting.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to eat less than a 1000 on average a day unless i wake up 2am and snack than i get up to 1500 I don't try to do this, it just happens. I might try 6 small meals cuz I get bored with eating which is why i don't eat a lot in one setting.
Don't eat anything after 10PM.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP

I made some changes since you quoted... also check out my other post linked on nutrition. I also tend to eat "like a snake" (1-2 very large meals per day) and that was because I wasn't eating proactively, I would not eat because I didn't feel like it, and by the time I did I was very hungry.

You have to eat what you should eat, when you should eat it in order for your preferences to change. Just eating what and when you want based on how you feel at the moment is the hard way.

serenesam

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, proper diet and exercise appears to be the best way to go, not a pill. This is demonstrated in the TV show "Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition."