User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Default Anyone have experience with Aloe Vera Juice or Gel Caps?

I'm looking into getting some Aloe Vera juice for my mom to try to help with her digestion and bowel movements. I've drank aloe juice in the past and it's not something I enjoyed. Does anyone have recommendations for a brand that might be more neutral tasting? Or would a concentrate be better because then I wouldn't have to make her drink a large amount and I could add it to her tea or water?

It's difficult for my mom to swallow capsules, but I'm looking into that as an option, too. Any suggestions or recommendations?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My mom's not elderly, but she did recently have lower back surgery/had a lot of digestive issues related to the painkillers she was on. Visiting nurses stressed that straining would cause potential issues with healing, so they listed a bunch of remedies. The most common/successful one was 8oz warm prune juice with a capful of Miralax (get from CVS/Walgreens, etc) mixed in, which has no texture or taste. It simply bulks up the water content/isn't your average short term irritating lax product. I know this isn't the aloe that you're looking for, but my mom reported good results when she had a lot of trouble, so.. figured I'd toss it out there. Warm prune juice on a regular basis also helps, without the added product. Also- worked for my mom & our dog- adding pumpkin to the diet.

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@Lexicon, thanks for those suggestions. I'm reluctant to give my mom stuff like Miralax, but I'll try the prune juice. And I completely forgot about pumpkin being a good source of fiber. The vet recommended it for my cats all the time, but the cats wouldn't eat it at all. Did the form of pumpkin matter?

Does warming the prune juice make a difference? (Since you emphasized *warm*)
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    @Lexicon, thanks for those suggestions. I'm reluctant to give my mom stuff like Miralax, but I'll try the prune juice. And I completely forgot about pumpkin being a good source of fiber. The vet recommended it for my cats all the time, but the cats wouldn't eat it at all. Did the form of pumpkin matter?

Does warming the prune juice make a difference? (Since you emphasized *warm*)
    The nurses said the warm prune juice moves faster, I guess, and uh, softens things up better. My mom noticed a difference, though she found the taste unpleasant, but she dislikes cold prune juice as well.

I don't think the form of the pumpkin would matter. I mixed it into my dogs food (dogs will eat anything, though). My mom, I made a pumpkin pie (since I like it too, haha).

That Dannon Activia yogurt works remarkably well, too. You've mentioned your mom being on antibiotics intermittently due to UTI's (if I recall correctly)- it's always good to replace the good flora/keep it built up, so that's a bonus along with the bowel regularity.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@Lexicon, my mom won't eat yogurt, but I do give her probiotics every day by hiding them in her food.
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Lexicon, my mom won't eat yogurt, but I do give her probiotics every day by hiding them in her food.
    good plan! Yeah, there are some packets you can find, too. Bifidus for regularity, that you can add to drinks- no taste/texture. But you sound all set on that front.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Put a quarter cup of this into a glass of juice (You don't need more than that since this is more concentrated than most aloe vera juice where you would need to use four times as much to get the same effect.); juice that has a sweeter taste masks the flavor of it better, I like using apple juice the best, I can barely taste it at all. Make sure to get this kind because it has no potassium sorbate (preservative) in it; I tried the kind that has it and it tastes stronger. I have used it a lot over the past year and a half (along with a few other natural supplements) to treat my GERD and heal the damage it caused to my esophagus (particularly the valve that opens into your stomach) and it works great, I am feeling way better now and I barely have any problems with it. It also most definitely helps move everything through your digestive system better, when taken regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/Aloe-Juice-Org...loe+vera+juice

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@_eric_, thanks!
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@Lexicon, just a follow-up to let you know--since it's difficult to get my mom to drink anything consistently, and dried prunes are now difficult for her to chew, I decided to try stewed prunes and they are having a good effect. At the risk of TMI, things are coming out easier, but still not forming up very well, so I still have some experimenting to do. Thanks so much for your help!
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Lexicon, just a follow-up to let you know--since it's difficult to get my mom to drink anything consistently, and dried prunes are now difficult for her to chew, I decided to try stewed prunes and they are having a good effect. At the risk of TMI, things are coming out easier, but still not forming up very well, so I still have some experimenting to do. Thanks so much for your help!
    Eh, nothing really grosses me out (I can watch surgery videos while eating dinner & be just fine)- so no worries about the TMI, haha. Glad it's helping, though. I've heard some pretty unpleasant stories about this topic from my friend who works in a nursing home- how sometimes he'd end up needing to manually manipulate things eventually.. I guess it can get pretty bad/painful/humiliating. If I think of anything else I'll toss it on this post. Actually I'll send him an email sometime soon/see if he has any recommendations. Might be good to stick to one thing [like the stewed prunes] for a little bit, see how her system reacts/gets moving, then see if it levels out over the next week or two, in terms of consistency. If things are.. backed up for awhile, the first few movements can vary in terms of how it's formed, but then it normalizes. (hopefully I'm not offering TMI here, haha). Just again, going by my mom's overly-detailed announcements after she'd finally go.

I wonder if you could get away with adding that Dannon Activia yogurt to a fruit & juice smoothie without her knowing.. the servings are really small, & I think they'd be undetectable.