• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

your dog licking your wounds...

S

Society

let them? don't let them? is there anything physically healing about it or is that just an urban legend? given all the other wonderful places those tongues go, wouldn't you have a high chance of infection?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dont. The mouth of a dog is so filthy bacteria-wise, you wouldnt believe it. I used to clean dog mouths at the veterinary clinic as part of my duties and the gunk they have in there is...*shudders*. There is a reason you aint allowed to clean the teeth and do a surgery on the same animal at once; their weakened immune system, busy with combatting the wounds from the surgery couldnt take the attack of bacteria dislodged.

Remember, they dont exactly use toothbrushes and I believe a human mouth contains like 40.000 bacteria or something ridiculous like that. And a bite from any animal that eats meat (like dogs,cats and rats), is very likely to infect due to that (that and the fact that the fang embeds the bacteria deep within the skin).

The reason that it does work for *them* is coz they use their tongues to effectively clean the wound, as in, remove all the dirt and foreign material from it that would otherwise keep infecting stuff. That, and their immune system is sort of used to their own bacteria.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would worry about the dog getting sick, and it would also just disturb me. I feel really protective of animals.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read some research that suggested they may have discovered some more sterile ways of debriding wounds :dry:

S

Society

I would worry about the dog getting sick, and it would also just disturb me. I feel really protective of animals.
but, but, it's like i'm her puppy :cry:

Dont. The mouth of a dog is so filthy bacteria-wise, you wouldnt believe it. I used to clean dog mouths at the veterinary clinic as part of my duties and the gunk they have in there is...*shudders*. There is a reason you aint allowed to clean the teeth and do a surgery on the same animal at once; their weakened immune system, busy with combatting the wounds from the surgery couldnt take the attack of bacteria dislodged.

Remember, they dont exactly use toothbrushes and I believe a human mouth contains like 40.000 bacteria or something ridiculous like that. And a bite from any animal that eats meat (like dogs,cats and rats), is very likely to infect due to that (that and the fact that the fang embeds the bacteria deep within the skin).

The reason that it does work for *them* is coz they use their tongues to effectively clean the wound, as in, remove all the dirt and foreign material from it that would otherwise keep infecting stuff. That, and their immune system is sort of used to their own bacteria.

ay ay sir - won't let it happen again.

I read some research that suggested they may have discovered some more sterile ways of debriding wounds :dry:

i have no idea what to do about them honestly - its weird wounds around my feet and legs, iv'e had them on and off since the army (almost a decade now - and getting around to it only now i know, my sp sucks)... i thought it might be a symptom of diabetes (since my father had that) but i check yearly and so far so good - let 'em eat cake. i went to a dermatologist who gave me some cream that did nothing. then i figured it might be something i am doing - like rubbing my legs with my heels while i sleep. so i've been sleeping with socks for a couple of months, still nothing.

i usually don't let it happen because i am ticklish as fuck around my legs, but i figured i might as well let my dog take a try.

she's 119 in dog years... society would never understand!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like psoriasis or hot spots...but I aint no dermatologist :ninja:

And sorry, I get very Te about animal shit :blush:

S

Society

Sounds like psoriasis or hot spots...but I aint no dermatologist :ninja:

And sorry, I get very Te about animal shit :blush:

nah - it was useful information and i decided not to let her lick my feet based on it. nothing to be sorry about. ty :)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It could be insects. For instance bed bugs (they're fairly common in Africa -even in luxury hostels-, so I was used to recognize their bites around my feet plenty of times), but it could also be phlebotomes, human fleas and so on... Their bites are usually located on the legs.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Correct. One way I had of telling if we had fleas in the house was bites on my intjs legs up to his knees (fleas cant jump higher). Somehow they didnt like me though :devil:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It could also be tiny blood sucking arthropods like chiggers...

According to wiki, their bites look like this (and as you see, wearing socks won't prevent them to bite you, and the same can be said about bed bugs):

800px-Ao%C3%BBtats_%28trois_jours_apr%C3%A8s_les_piq%C3%BBres%29.jpg