User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp

The country's Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check. The ministry also says that curbing widening waistlines will rein in a rapidly aging society's ballooning health care costs, one of the most serious and politically delicate problems facing Japan today.
    I am missing something . . . The old people cost too much money to take care of, so they want to make sure that they are thinner and live longer. Age is not a disease. However, it is a more expensive way of being. The thinner old people will rack up health costs in other ways besides stroke and diabetes, and will live longer and be able to rack up [ ka-ching!] higher health costs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's about time.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

The thing with Japanese culture (China's too) is that just about everyone will go along with it if it's for the greater good of the people. This is how they are able to pass stringent measures such as this without any outcries of injustice.

As for the right to be fat, sure why not, but don't expect everyone and everything to be the same for your fatass, like airplane tickets - I honestly hope they do add in that extra fee for overweight passengers on flights. I have the right to be an asshole on these boards in a lot of ways, and I indulge in it, but I'm not naive about it and think that everyone is going to treat me the same way as a nice guy like Jeffster. (of course medical conditions are an exception to this, like gladular disorders and diabetes)

As for the efficacy of health care costs, I think that's a moot point for reasons mentioned and probably just politic rhetoric to get it passed. The REAL issue here about overweight people is how energy inefficient they are (in food costs, not just fuel) and how we cater to the sins of sloth in this country. I'm so tired of seeing fat people, as well as perfectly fit ones, ride the elevator up two stories when it would be better for them, as well as others, to just suck it up and take the stairs and get that extra bit of excercise. Walk instead of driving a half mile to the corner station or liquor store. It's not that hard, but people feel so entitled to do the bare minimum because they have a "right to be fat". Fine, be overweight, but don't be pissed when the whole that carries thier own weight and costs better than you do want to tax you for your extra burden. I hope Japan gets it passed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Is this an example out of control Fe?

Big Brother wants to remain Big Brother.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Big Brother wants to remain Big Brother.
    This isn't about telling people how to think and/or behave, it's about creating incentives to NOT be a wasteful citizen. Efficiency is important

MBTI
    ENTP

This issue was already exposed by Upright Citizens Brigade. YouTube - Fat Nazi Neighborhood Association
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    This isn't about telling people how to think and/or behave, it's about creating incentives to NOT be a wasteful citizen. Efficiency is important
    Read that again with emphasis on the Big in Big Brother.

Enneagram
    1w2

Does the concept of Big Brother even exist in Japan?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    It may be crossing your or an American personal boundary, but is it crossing a Japanese personal boundary is what I'm asking. If they don't feel like their rights have been violated you can't make it be violated for them. That's why I'm curious about their reaction to these mandates.
    What they pass there may well seep over here and excite the control fanatics who live here. Now many American corporations try to push the before work mandatory exercises on their workers.

FYI, I said nothing about trying to make it a violation of their boundaries, I merely asked if it was.