User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Japan and many east asian countries are more 'communal minded' societies where individuals are able to sublimate their individuality for the greater good.

So it's a different sense of 'personal boundaries' versus community responsibility/citizenship, etc.
    Don't get me wrong, being communally minded and a responsible citizen are good things. But I think it is way out of line for a government to mandate these types of things. Especially when it relates to an individual's body. You or God own your body not the government.
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween

MBTI
    istp

That article is much more interesting to read while listening to Big in Japan
    No offense.

Australians are the second most long lived people in the world - the Japanese are the most long lived.

And Australians are the most obese.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Hang on, I thought the Japanese were into Sumo wrestlers and the like? Next they are going to ban the Dragon Ball Z hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Are they crossing a personal boundary here? Do people have the right to be fat or unhealthy if they chose to be so?
    It may be crossing your or an American personal boundary, but is it crossing a Japanese personal boundary is what I'm asking. If they don't feel like their rights have been violated you can't make it be violated for them. That's why I'm curious about their reaction to these mandates.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    It may be crossing your or an American personal boundary, but is it crossing a Japanese personal boundary is what I'm asking. If they don't feel like their rights have been violated you can't make it be violated for them. That's why I'm curious about their reaction to these mandates.
    Don't you believe rights are universal?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Don't you believe rights are universal?
    Wow, what a loaded question. :rolleyes2:

I'm not going to answer you, not because I don't have an answer but because I know your arguing style and how you tend to twist people's words into something they completely didn't say. I also believe you have a little vendetta against me because of that other thread. I'm not getting sucked into your foolishness.

MBTI
    yupp

Cross cutural is tricky, Cultures do have similarities, but also their are quite a bit of differences. What might not work here might work there and vice-a-versa. I don't know enough about Japanese culture to decide if this is a good idea. My first reaction,was this is terrible, I'm against the government controlling the people when it comes to things like this. I hate the smoking ban for the same reason, but majority like it, so I guess I'll live.

Do I know if this will work? Nope, but I am going to keep up with this and see what happens. Now only if I knew Japanese I could read local papers.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    1w2

According to the article, it doesn't seem like the Health Ministry expects it to work either. What they want to do is get people to lower their weight to defray future health care costs due to their aging population. Even lowering weights a little bit may have far-reaching consequences. Maybe what looks harmful on one end will be beneficial on another.

Anyway, I think this topic in general is pretty interesting. I suppose the underlying argument is should you be forced to do something that is ultimately good for you.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    According to the article, it doesn't seem like the Health Ministry expects it to work either. What they want to do is get people to lower their weight to defray future health care costs due to their aging population. Even lowering weights a little bit may have far-reaching consequences. Maybe what looks harmful on one end will be beneficial on another.

Anyway, I think this topic in general is pretty interesting. I suppose the underlying argument is should you be forced to do something that is ultimately good for you.
    I guess for me, I don't like people making me do anything whether or not it's good for me. I have to decide on my own, otherwise I'll go along but will be miserable. I'm sure other people would perfectly happy going along with something like this, but I do think losing weight needs to be more of a personal decision then a communal one.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so