User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 123

  1. #41
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    of course there's the problem also that BMI isn't a fair measurement of whether or not someone's overweight... according to BMI charts I'm overweight but that's muscle mass instead of fat that skews the weight portion of it

    also, would this mean that fruits and vegetables would be cheaper? that would be awesome because it's cheaper to buy junk food than to buy healthy food... that's why our grocery bills are so crazy around here
    Perhaps I don't understand how this works, but I'm pretty sure organic foods would be more affordable if everyone had impetus to eat them: it's supply and demand.

    Junk foods like Doritos and Pepperidge Farm cookies are quite expensive. And junk foods have become even more expensive with the decreased usage of trans-fats and HFC.

    It's actually cheaper to eat things like beans, rice, grains, and veggies than it is to live off of frozen pizzas, bags of chips, and highly processed specialty foods.

    Meat is also more expensive than vegetables. It's much cheaper (and healthier) to feed people with beans, pulses, lentils, etc. than it is with ham or steaks.

    Advertising thrives on lies. One of those lies is "junk food is cheaper."

    Sure, it's cheaper, if your idea of a healthy meal is to eat a steak.

    At near starvation, it is pretty bad on the homeless population, they really have very few alternatives outside of salty pre-packaged "ramen" noodles, McD's (and other fast food chain) dollar menus, and so forth, but for the average person who is at least working class and can cook beans and rice, it's a lie.

    A huge, huge lie.

    I still think organic foods become cheaper with supply and demand, someone can correct me on this.

  2. #42
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    One thing I can't get enough of is pot pies.. those big Marie Calendar ones. I don't eat a lot of crappy stuff, but those things are like 1000 calories a piece. I think I have a genetic predisposition to be on the thin side, but anyone different would be screwed.

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Growing up in one of the fattest cities in the world has really given me a fond appreciation for slim figures. I say bring on the fatties, it puts us regular folks' existence into perspective.


    (sorry fatties of TC)
    By the the time I was nearing my leave of WV, I felt near hyperventilation in the grocery store where I worked, watching 400 lb. people spend all of their food stamps on frosted circus cookies, frozen pizzas, Coca-Cola two liters, and Hungry Man dinners.

    What a relief to live in California. I don't care if there are people here who are phenomenally beautiful who make me look average (while I was probably a big fish in small pond near my mom's home in WV) ...I swear I actually get more acknowledgement from men in the L.A. area that is positive, from highly successful men, than I did in WV. I swear to god that I never fit some normative stereotype there, maybe I was just too educated and well-traveled and opinionated, and it had nothing to do with my looks, but seriously I have more dates in a city full of aspiring actresses and models than I did in the land of toothless fat people.

    I love the weather here. All the sun, all the people running and riding bikes and doing yoga.

    Gosh I love it here.

  4. #44
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    One thing I can't get enough of is pot pies.. those big Marie Calendar ones. I don't eat a lot of crappy stuff, but those things are like 1000 calories a piece. I think I have a genetic predisposition to be on the thin side, but anyone different would be screwed.

    Yeah well it's fine to eat that stuff in moderation. It's not "wrong" to eat any particular food. It's your overall diet.

    People who allow themselves nothing fun or high calorie feel deprived and go on binges; but if your entire diet every day is a junk food binge, that's the problem.

  5. #45
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    How about raising taxes and insurances on junk food peddlers?
    the model where junk food has pretty high taxes and taxes are used for many things including public healthcare and graves works pretty well. but that wouldnt work in US, because people would cry about taxes too much cuz socialism and communism and all aspects of them are associated to soviet union(and cold war), china etc.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  6. #46
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Perhaps I don't understand how this works, but I'm pretty sure organic foods would be more affordable if everyone had impetus to eat them: it's supply and demand.

    Junk foods like Doritos and Pepperidge Farm cookies are quite expensive. And junk foods have become even more expensive with the decreased usage of trans-fats and HFC.

    It's actually cheaper to eat things like beans, rice, grains, and veggies than it is to live off of frozen pizzas, bags of chips, and highly processed specialty foods.

    Meat is also more expensive than vegetables. It's much cheaper (and healthier) to feed people with beans, pulses, lentils, etc. than it is with ham or steaks.

    Advertising thrives on lies. One of those lies is "junk food is cheaper."

    Sure, it's cheaper, if your idea of a healthy meal is to eat a steak.

    At near starvation, it is pretty bad on the homeless population, they really have very few alternatives outside of salty pre-packaged "ramen" noodles, McD's (and other fast food chain) dollar menus, and so forth, but for the average person who is at least working class and can cook beans and rice, it's a lie.

    A huge, huge lie.

    I still think organic foods become cheaper with supply and demand, someone can correct me on this.
    first off, you're going for brand name items there... if I wanted to make mac and cheese instead of stir fried veggies, I'd be able to do the mac and cheese at something like 1/3 of the price... maybe that's because the midwest is obsessed with cheese or something, who knows... I DO know my food pricing though

    I'm not living without meat by any means, and it's a lot cheaper to go for the unhealthy shit than to buy some decent quality healthy meat... hot dogs and lunch meat v flank steak and salmon, anyone?

    sure, beans and rice are cheap, but they won't provide you with all of your nutrients by any means... and fresh fruits and vegetables (or frozen fruit as well for goodness sake ) aren't cheap... canned's cheaper, but it's pretty mushy and gross

    I know this because the man went on a diet that's high in fresh vegetables and lean meats and the grocery bill definitely went up after that... I'm not a stupid shopper, I just like a variety of food and have a fondness for fresh as opposed to canned- it tastes better. No use in eating stuff that doesn't taste good, even if it IS cheaper because I won't be eating it

    no need to talk down to me on this issue... I know my pricing, in the midwest anyway and I tend to keep my receipts as well

    though I appreciate your passion, it is wasted on me... you should know that by now
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #47
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Flour, sugar and fats/oils are very cheap and they have a long shelf life.

    It's true you can eat cheap and healthy eating nothing but boiled vegies but generally to eat tasty healthy food costs a lot more.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  8. #48
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    the model where junk food has pretty high taxes and taxes are used for many things including public healthcare and graves works pretty well. but that wouldnt work in US, because people would cry about taxes too much cuz socialism and communism and all aspects of them are associated to soviet union(and cold war), china etc.
    Yes, I know my countrymen hover just points above retardation, alack, alas. I meet travelers from Europe and Asia that know more about why West Virginia is no longer Virginia than people who were born in the U.S.

    I just feel a necessity to do something about it. But I'm not starving myself or lighting myself on fire for anybody, so I guess I have to be more obnoxious about it.

  9. #49
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Flour, sugar and fats/oils are very cheap and they have a long shelf life.

    It's true you can eat cheap and healthy eating nothing but boiled vegies but generally to eat tasty healthy food costs a lot more.
    I know how to make pretty damn tasty food for less!

    So do most Asians. That's why they sell that shit to you so cheap in their restaurants.

    You no stay four hour. You eat and you go home.

  10. #50
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    first off, you're going for brand name items there... if I wanted to make mac and cheese instead of stir fried veggies, I'd be able to do the mac and cheese at something like 1/3 of the price... maybe that's because the midwest is obsessed with cheese or something, who knows... I DO know my food pricing though

    I'm not living without meat by any means, and it's a lot cheaper to go for the unhealthy shit than to buy some decent quality healthy meat... hot dogs and lunch meat v flank steak and salmon, anyone?

    sure, beans and rice are cheap, but they won't provide you with all of your nutrients by any means... and fresh fruits and vegetables (or frozen fruit as well for goodness sake ) aren't cheap... canned's cheaper, but it's pretty mushy and gross

    I know this because the man went on a diet that's high in fresh vegetables and lean meats and the grocery bill definitely went up after that... I'm not a stupid shopper, I just like a variety of food and have a fondness for fresh as opposed to canned- it tastes better. No use in eating stuff that doesn't taste good, even if it IS cheaper because I won't be eating it

    no need to talk down to me on this issue... I know my pricing, in the midwest anyway and I tend to keep my receipts as well

    though I appreciate your passion, it is wasted on me... you should know that by now
    Actually you could get most of your nutrients eating pulses, whole grains, potatoes, and milk or other dairy products. You want to stock up on your garlic and onions, of course, and some spices.

    It's good to have some olive oil and grape seed oil. I take this for granted now, just after three years of living in SoCal. I'm just like "go get grape seed oil and five pound bag of Japanese rice!"

    Yeah right. Sorry, midWesterners, if I am being an asshole.

    But for the most part you can mix it up with varying pulses, veggies and spices (do canned on some, like Hunt's steams their tomatoes so has the best quality canned tomatoes, and in some cases frozen are almost as good as fresh if you're going to cook them anyway, they maintain more nutrients than canned) and so forth.

    Then you have your splurge items like if you eat meat, do steak or whatever a day or two a week. If you eat eggs, invest in those.

    That's what people do in poorer countries, they eat vegetarian or whatever most of the week, and have meat on weekends that kind of thing.

    It's totally do-able in a healthy way.

    Americans are spoiled, point blank. They just are.

    "McDonald's is cheaper."

    No, no it's not if you get the Angus burger with fries and a drink. There are web sites that add up how much it is to make plates of grilled chicken or fish with veggies and a starch for less than a McDonald's meal, if it's not from the dollar menu.

    I used to cook for some old and disabled people. I knew an ESFJ from a huge Argentine family who fed generations of her family. Big bags of frozen grilled chicken. Big bags of wild caught frozen fish. Big cartons of eggs. Rice, potatoes, pasta. Some frozen and some fresh veggies. Choose cans for things like chopped tomatoes and cooked spinach.

    It's do-able, it's possible, but I think in So Cal we DO have a greater variety: Asian markets carry huge bags of interesting whole grain rices, Mexican or El Salvidorian markets give cheap cuts of pork or beef. We are replete with ethnic markets here and aren't hooked on corporate chain grocery like it's life support.

    I'm sure you are a smart shopper. I don't mean to insult you or argue with you in any way, lol.

Similar Threads

  1. Rwanda is beating the United States in gender equality
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
  2. In this part of the United States, principals still legally hit students
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
  3. Does the South actually want to be a part of the United States?
    By gromit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-15-2015, 02:41 PM
  4. If you think drugs should be illegal..
    By zago in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 471
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
  5. What Is The Future Of The United States?
    By highlander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 04:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO