User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 123

  1. #91
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So why do kids adopted from fat families by slim parents grow into fat adults? Surely having slim adoptive parents should cure or prevent obesity (it doesn't).
    That's not what I was addressing at all. That'd be some very blind, broken logic, indeed. Parents can be fat or fit if they want to be, but if they allow their kid to become clinically obese without making any effort whatsoever to address it with a healthcare professional, and provide their kids with proper nutrition [as I stated, many overweight kids are actually malnourished in terms of vital nutrients]-- I think that's gross negligence on the part of the parent, & they're doing this developing human body no favors in life, considering the various health problems that are a direct result of being dangerously overweight (I say dangerously here to emphasize that I'm not talking about stout/pudgy/chubby-overweight kids- I'm talking about kids who at 8yrs old weigh almost the same as an adult female).

    That was my point, if we're talking about criminalizing any aspect of obesity- which is what the OP was bringing up. It's got nothing to do with the parents' physique, & everything to do with how proactive they are about maintaining their child's health. Sometimes unexplained weight gain can be a sign of other serious underlying conditions- it'd be neglectful to totally overlook that possibility- it's their responsibility to keep their child as healthy as possible, and deal with medical problems as they arise. Seeing doctors may not even prevent or 'cure' it, depending on genes/disorders/other conditions where meds may cause weight gain- but if they at least make an effort to seek help from specialists about it, they'll be potentially lessening at least some of the cumulative effects of the obesity, and possibly find new ways to manage any metabolic disturbances. If they just sat back and let their kid eat deep fried garbage for dinner 7x a week- and the kid's so large it gets winded going up a flight of stairs... yea, I think that's criminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I'm testing that with some stairs and razor blades tonight.
    Pix or it didn't happen.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  2. #92
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    That's not what I was addressing at all. That'd be some very blind, broken logic, indeed. Parents can be fat or fit if they want to be, but if they allow their kid to become clinically obese without making any effort whatsoever to address it with a healthcare professional, and provide their kids with proper nutrition [as I stated, many overweight kids are actually malnourished in terms of vital nutrients]-- I think that's gross negligence on the part of the parent, & they're doing this developing human body no favors in life, considering the various health problems that are a direct result of being dangerously overweight (I say dangerously here to emphasize that I'm not talking about stout/pudgy/chubby-overweight kids- I'm talking about kids who at 8yrs old weigh almost the same as an adult female).

    That was my point, if we're talking about criminalizing any aspect of obesity- which is what the OP was bringing up. It's got nothing to do with the parents' physique, & everything to do with how proactive they are about maintaining their child's health. Sometimes unexplained weight gain can be a sign of other serious underlying conditions- it'd be neglectful to totally overlook that possibility- it's their responsibility to keep their child as healthy as possible, and deal with medical problems as they arise. Seeing doctors may not even prevent or 'cure' it, depending on genes/disorders/other conditions where meds may cause weight gain- but if they at least make an effort to seek help from specialists about it, they'll be potentially lessening at least some of the cumulative effects of the obesity, and possibly find new ways to manage any metabolic disturbances. If they just sat back and let their kid eat deep fried garbage for dinner 7x a week- and the kid's so large it gets winded going up a flight of stairs... yea, I think that's criminal.
    If only they just ate pills for dinner...

    And slightly OT, but this article caught my attention. And I'm starting to think that maybe it should be illegal...if somebody lights a match, we'll all die. They're terrorists!!! They'll kill us all!!!

  3. #93
    Senior Member Scheherezade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    156

    Default

    i was under the impression that America supported this industry of "junk food", seeing as they are the leader of fast food and pre made food that is unhealthy and requires frying, therefore supporting their junk food industry ..
    it seems to be a paradox really

  4. #94
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Yes.

    I can't wait to see an episode of Cops with the shaky camera capturing a portly black man is being chased and jumping over fences in a bad neighborhood, and finally being caught face down in the thick bushes of a local bayou and the arresting officers finding two tattered zip-lock bags filled with Captain Crunch and Peanut M&Ms in his pockets. His pleads of "them ain't mine" will fall of deaf ears this day...

  5. #95
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    i was under the impression that America supported this industry of "junk food", seeing as they are the leader of fast food and pre made food that is unhealthy and requires frying, therefore supporting their junk food industry ..
    it seems to be a paradox really
    What does it mean when you say America "supported" something? Do you mean American citizens in general? The American states and/or federal government? American corporations and franchises?

    I'm eating "pre made" food right now. It's called Raisin Bran. All I do is add milk. Saves lots of time in the morning. So yes I personally support "pre made" food.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #96
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Why should they punish the victims of a terrible food environment which the government continues to openly support and condone?
    ^This

    Maybe ban McDonalds? Make horrible foods illegal? Or at least do something more on that end.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  7. #97
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    nazi thread

  8. #98
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    somedays junk food is good not all days though. banning foods because people don't know how to eat is stupid. educate them.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #99
    Senior Member Scheherezade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    What does it mean when you say America "supported" something? Do you mean American citizens in general? The American states and/or federal government? American corporations and franchises?

    I'm eating "pre made" food right now. It's called Raisin Bran. All I do is add milk. Saves lots of time in the morning. So yes I personally support "pre made" food.
    by support i mean the government doesn`t regulate the standards of the food companies as it should, and i think that is obvious, the companies use lots of salt and sugar in the processed food altogether with flavor enhancers, the result being food that requires a very short time to cook and also a huge caloric intake without actually having the vitamin ammount a human needs, also i don`t know how cheap exactly fast food is but if it`s cheaper to buy mcdonalds than to cook a simple dinner i think it supports what i just said.
    That is not healthy feeding your citizens imo.

  10. #100
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    by support i mean the government doesn`t regulate the standards of the food companies as it should, and i think that is obvious, the companies use lots of salt and sugar in the processed food altogether with flavor enhancers, the result being food that requires a very short time to cook and also a huge caloric intake without actually having the vitamin ammount a human needs, also i don`t know how cheap exactly fast food is but if it`s cheaper to buy mcdonalds than to cook a simple dinner i think it supports what i just said.
    That is not healthy feeding your citizens imo.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Rwanda is beating the United States in gender equality
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
  2. In this part of the United States, principals still legally hit students
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
  3. Does the South actually want to be a part of the United States?
    By gromit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-15-2015, 02:41 PM
  4. If you think drugs should be illegal..
    By zago in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 471
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
  5. What Is The Future Of The United States?
    By highlander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 04:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO