User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How do I get into baseball?

I seen the sport in movies and stuff but how do I get into it, anyone know of a book which outlines the rules, teams etc. and where or what is there in the way of merchandise?

Best way to learn the rules is play it. If you watched enough, you'd get the basic idea though. In America, you could buy merchandise almost anywhere, but not sure about Ireland.

I'm surprised it's not a more popular sport in the UK though. I think it borrows a lot from cricket.

I'd recommend a primer such as Baseball For Dummies or The Complete Idiot's Guide To Baseball, and also Ken Burns' documentary Baseball for a sense of the history. I don't know how available these are where you live, but Amazon UK might have them.

MLB.com and the Wikipedia entry on Major League Baseball will give you a good sense of the professional league in the USA. It's a good time to start paying attention, as the season starts the first week of April!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I bought a book called baseball for dummies, when I visit the states in May I'm going to go see a game, eat a hot dog, eat some popcorn and possible see what a cracker jack is or a corn dog.

I heard about a sports shop here in northern ireland which has sold upwards of a thousand baseball bats but never sold a single baseball, I wonder what that's about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I bought a book called baseball for dummies, when I visit the states in May I'm going to go see a game, eat a hot dog, eat some popcorn and possible see what a cracker jack is or a corn dog.
    Is this part of a ritual to summon baseball knowledge?

Oh wait, Te doms, nvm.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Yeah, let this be the one area where you don't think about rituals or book knowledge.

There has to be some baseball in Ireland? If you played, you'll pick up the rules in no time. It's not a very fun sport to observe anyways (imho).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

You could see about streaming American sports news stations like ESPN.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wouldn't expect much from the crackerjacks, they're pretty much just there for tradition, as far as I can tell....corndogs, on the other hand, taste great (I can't believe you don't have them in Northern Ireland).

Try to find a batting cage somewhere, and somebody to play catch with, to get a general 'feel' for the mechanics of the game.

I have to do something right now, but before I go, I recommend the movie Eight Men Out as a means of gaining insight into some elements of baseball history and its role in American culture, including the role of class in early baseball.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I wouldn't expect much from the crackerjacks, they're pretty much just there for tradition, as far as I can tell....corndogs, on the other hand, taste great (I can't believe you don't have them in Northern Ireland).

Try to find a batting cage somewhere, and somebody to play catch with, to get a general 'feel' for the mechanics of the game.

I have to do something right now, but before I go, I recommend the movie Eight Men Out as a means of gaining insight into some elements of baseball history and its role in American culture, including the role of class in early baseball.
    I think the game is similar to rounders is here but rounders here has never been a game beyond kids on the street or in the neighbourhood and now not even that, cricket is nothing like and not half as entertaining, I'll admit that its also a game of the upper class and british, its even too classy and too british for a lot of the uber brits among the unionists and loyalists.

I just think of baseball as 100% American, I suppose that American football is the same but I watched it once or twice and it seemed slow and stop compared to rugby.

Sniffles

Get drunk, and shave those damn sideburns.