• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing weight why is it so hard for so many people?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't buy all this talk of burgers, portion size and gluttony, there were obesity epidemics well before people started eating Big Macs and supersized cokes.

The introduction/availability of grains and or cane sugar is all it takes to induce an obesity epidemic in some populations.

The obesity "epidemics" weren't as "epidemic" as they were today. There was a time when households prepared more of their own foods than they did go out and buy processed and easy to make foods. So it is escaping the fact if we were to say that there were epidemics back then and that it isn't that different from today. If anything, those epidemics were more along the lines of starvation than they were obesity.

This in my mind is really the issue.

I've lost 8 pounds over the last couple months by eating well and exercising. It's not difficult. I miss pizza though.

Not exactly, it just takes tasting your food to know that you don't need ranch dressing or placing them in your burgers to eat. You can complement carrots pretty well with potatoes. In fact, you can make a soup with just carrots, celery, corn, and your own homemade chicken stock (as in slow-boiled chicken parts) and a few herbs and spices. A lot of the taste will come from the chicken, celery, corn, and carrots themselves.

But that is just one of many ways.

It is more like people rather have instant gratification. Eating a hamburger is a lot faster and easier than it is to cook your own soup without adding extra salt or sugar to taste. Which is much like exercising. Most people want instant gratification in losing weight or building bulk, otherwise they stop. If these people don't lose 20+ pounds in a month, they complain (when you should really only be losing 2 pounds a week at a steady pace.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't buy all this talk of burgers, portion size and gluttony, there were obesity epidemics well before people started eating Big Macs and supersized cokes.

The introduction/availability of grains and or cane sugar is all it takes to induce an obesity epidemic in some populations.

You don't think people have gorged on whatever they were eating prior to there being Big Macs and Cokes, causing obesity? You don't think these same people moved very little as well?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It's comforting to know that we have a mind that encompasses all psychological and physiological factors that exist throughout the human race, on this forum.

You will never see an obese person in third world countries like africa. Nuff said.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is more like people rather have instant gratification. Eating a hamburger is a lot faster and easier than it is to cook your own soup without adding extra salt or sugar to taste.

Ummm..

Hamburgers are better than soup.

Obviously

KDude

Man, I disagree on that. In a way, soup is like a taste test of a whole culture. Every culture has a standout soup or two (or at least soup like meals). Gumbo, Pho, Miso, NE Clam Chowder, Goulash, etc..

Within

Permabanned
You will never see an obese person in third world countries like africa.

First of all, Africa is a continent not a country. Secondly, there are plenty of obese people there. Thirdly, you're addressing the lack of supply which in itself is not only wrong but a demonstration of how ignorant you are in relation to this issue.

Nuff said.

Good call.

-

There's no alcohol in Atlantis, there are no alcoholics.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What a shitload of non sequiturs. No way this guy is an E5.

Lark

You don't think people have gorged on whatever they were eating prior to there being Big Macs and Cokes, causing obesity? You don't think these same people moved very little as well?

Yeah, on the other hand I dont buy the whole new ad campaign from coke in the UK suggesting that its a great beverage provided everyone is an athelete, the message in Supersize Me was pretty clear, there's no reason to consume that sort of thing, its all a modern era innovation which chimes with or has succeeded in engineering cravings and needs, its not safe or a good idea in any sort of diet.

Its like the idea about smoking in moderation is fine, no even in moderation it does you damage, you could be fine with damaging yourself but that's a different matter as to whether or not its damaging in the first place.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
First of all, Africa is a continent not a country. Secondly, there are plenty of obese people there. Thirdly, you're addressing the lack of supply which in itself is not only wrong but a demonstration of how ignorant you are in relation to this issue.

Good call.

-

There's no alcohol in Atlantis, there are no alcoholics.

Africa has Plenty of obese people compared to what? the united states? you must be high. I'm using Africa as an extreme example, America has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

Within

Permabanned
Africa has Plenty of obese people compared to what? the united states? you must be high. I'm using Africa as an extreme example, America has one of the highest obesity rates in the world. European countries don't even come close.

Yes, you win. It would simply take more out of me to explain this than I'm willing to give to you.

What a shitload of non sequiturs. No way this guy is an E5.

Also, I do believe that Rasofy was referring to you [MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION].

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yes, you win. It would simply take more out of me to explain this than I'm willing to give to you.

Also, I do believe that Rasofy was referring to you [MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION].

Ok so you've contributed nothing to this discussion and you're not willing to prove me wrong maybe just keep your mouth shut next time so you don't look like an idiot.

Within

Permabanned
Ok so you've contributed nothing to this discussion and you're not willing to prove me wrong maybe just keep your mouth shut next time so you don't look like an idiot.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. By opening yours you've done my job for me.

KDude

Mexico is 2nd.. Hmm, not really surprised, I guess. They don't live in excess like the US, but their food is full of red meat and carbs. I'm surprised Greece is up there though. Usually I hear the traditional Greek diet as being sort of ideal.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right and Rasofy was talking to you by the way....
My slightly aggressive comments tend to be crafted enough that people with a below average intelligence usually do not to realize that the comment was directed at them.

Anyways, the comment was directed to:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ummm..

Hamburgers are better than soup.

Obviously

I'd take a well-prepared minestrone soup (without all the added salt) over a hamburger any day of the week. There are so many health benefits of making your own soup besides the great taste.

No Saturated Fat and Trans Fat
No Cholesterol
Little Salt
High Fiber
High Potassium
High Vitamin A
High Vitamin C
High Niacin
High Thiamin
High in Folic Acid
High Vitamin B6
High Vitamin B12
Great in Magnesium, Iron, Manganese, Zinc.
The list goes on. You can add even more vitamins by adding more than the basic beans, celery, onions, carrots, and tomato and make it even more worthwhile (can even add some meat for the vegetable challenged.)

I mean, as much as I like In-N-Out and Five Guys and all, they don't compare to the health benefits of eating a well-prepared soup like minestrone.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
My slightly aggressive comments tend to be crafted enough that people with a below average intelligence usually do not to realize that the comment was directed at them.

Anyways, the comment was directed to:

hahahaha

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd take a well-prepared minestrone soup (without all the added salt) over a hamburger any day of the week. There are so many health benefits of making your own soup besides the great taste.

No Saturated Fat and Trans Fat
No Cholesterol
Little Salt
High Fiber
High Potassium
High Vitamin A
High Vitamin C
High Niacin
High Thiamin
High in Folic Acid
High Vitamin B6
High Vitamin B12
Great in Magnesium, Iron, Manganese, Zinc.
The list goes on. You can add even more vitamins by adding more than the basic beans, celery, onions, carrots, and tomato and make it even more worthwhile (can even add some meat for the vegetable challenged.)

I mean, as much as I like In-N-Out and Five Guys and all, they don't compare to the health benefits of eating a well-prepared soup like minestrone.

I hate minestrone.

I do love soup though. Mostly homemade borscht, or broccoli cheddar and french onion in restaurants.

I consume a great deal of soup.

I got 99 soups, and minestrone ain't one.