User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I don't buy all this talk of burgers, portion size and gluttony, there were obesity epidemics well before people started eating Big Macs and supersized cokes.

The introduction/availability of grains and or cane sugar is all it takes to induce an obesity epidemic in some populations.
    The obesity "epidemics" weren't as "epidemic" as they were today. There was a time when households prepared more of their own foods than they did go out and buy processed and easy to make foods. So it is escaping the fact if we were to say that there were epidemics back then and that it isn't that different from today. If anything, those epidemics were more along the lines of starvation than they were obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This in my mind is really the issue.

I've lost 8 pounds over the last couple months by eating well and exercising. It's not difficult. I miss pizza though.
    Not exactly, it just takes tasting your food to know that you don't need ranch dressing or placing them in your burgers to eat. You can complement carrots pretty well with potatoes. In fact, you can make a soup with just carrots, celery, corn, and your own homemade chicken stock (as in slow-boiled chicken parts) and a few herbs and spices. A lot of the taste will come from the chicken, celery, corn, and carrots themselves.

But that is just one of many ways.

It is more like people rather have instant gratification. Eating a hamburger is a lot faster and easier than it is to cook your own soup without adding extra salt or sugar to taste. Which is much like exercising. Most people want instant gratification in losing weight or building bulk, otherwise they stop. If these people don't lose 20+ pounds in a month, they complain (when you should really only be losing 2 pounds a week at a steady pace.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I don't buy all this talk of burgers, portion size and gluttony, there were obesity epidemics well before people started eating Big Macs and supersized cokes.

The introduction/availability of grains and or cane sugar is all it takes to induce an obesity epidemic in some populations.
    You don't think people have gorged on whatever they were eating prior to there being Big Macs and Cokes, causing obesity? You don't think these same people moved very little as well?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    It's comforting to know that we have a mind that encompasses all psychological and physiological factors that exist throughout the human race, on this forum.
    You will never see an obese person in third world countries like africa. Nuff said.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It is more like people rather have instant gratification. Eating a hamburger is a lot faster and easier than it is to cook your own soup without adding extra salt or sugar to taste.
    Ummm..

Hamburgers are better than soup.

Obviously

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Man, I disagree on that. In a way, soup is like a taste test of a whole culture. Every culture has a standout soup or two (or at least soup like meals). Gumbo, Pho, Miso, NE Clam Chowder, Goulash, etc..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    You will never see an obese person in third world countries like africa.
    First of all, Africa is a continent not a country. Secondly, there are plenty of obese people there. Thirdly, you're addressing the lack of supply which in itself is not only wrong but a demonstration of how ignorant you are in relation to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Nuff said.
    Good call.

-

There's no alcohol in Atlantis, there are no alcoholics.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What a shitload of non sequiturs. No way this guy is an E5.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    You don't think people have gorged on whatever they were eating prior to there being Big Macs and Cokes, causing obesity? You don't think these same people moved very little as well?
    Yeah, on the other hand I dont buy the whole new ad campaign from coke in the UK suggesting that its a great beverage provided everyone is an athelete, the message in Supersize Me was pretty clear, there's no reason to consume that sort of thing, its all a modern era innovation which chimes with or has succeeded in engineering cravings and needs, its not safe or a good idea in any sort of diet.

Its like the idea about smoking in moderation is fine, no even in moderation it does you damage, you could be fine with damaging yourself but that's a different matter as to whether or not its damaging in the first place.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    First of all, Africa is a continent not a country. Secondly, there are plenty of obese people there. Thirdly, you're addressing the lack of supply which in itself is not only wrong but a demonstration of how ignorant you are in relation to this issue.

Good call.

-

There's no alcohol in Atlantis, there are no alcoholics.
    Africa has Plenty of obese people compared to what? the united states? you must be high. I'm using Africa as an extreme example, America has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    What a shitload of non sequiturs. No way this guy is an E5.
    He's probably obese and therefore butthurt. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...health-obesity