User Tag List

First 123412 Last

There's a lot to "relearn" when it comes to dieting. It's too bad that it mostly falls on the person eating to prepare their own meals. If they could just not think about all of that shit, and just eat, then they'd lose weight in no time (I mean, if they had a nutritious cook at home, or if the supply side of the food industry was safer, as a rule).

The other part of the equation is getting some exercise. That's a no brainer. If you're not doing it, it's your fault. I say this when it comes to myself too btw. I enjoy being lazy. But we all need at least walk more. It doesn't take much.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

of course there's always the option that their taste buds are programmed to hate healthy food as well... convincing the man that fresh, as opposed to canned, vegetables were a good thing was like pulling hen's teeth at first (I didn't grow up with money, but I DID grow up with 3 acres of garden, which is kind of a blessing as far as tastes in food go!)

He has lost around 30 lbs over the past month or so thanks to the fact that he's really been watching what he eats and is using me to keep him accountable as well, but this isn't his first time of trying by any means... the whole thing about changing so many aspects of one's life is difficult for a lot of people... they get in their ruts and change seems like too much of an effort

so, to reiterate what others have said, that's nice for you, but you aren't everybody
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's not that healthy foods taste bad, it's that they have no flavor until you dip them in ranch dressing or put them on a cheeseburger. Who the hell wants to eat food with no flavor?

That coupled with the fact that exercise is downright painful the first few weeks you start and remains uncomfortable after that discourages many people from following through on it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

of course on another note, quite a bit of it comes down to build as well... my sis can't put on weight even if she eats pounds and pounds of bacon on a daily basis, I can put on some weight, but primarily tend to build muscles every time I look at work instead (which can really skew a person's BMI scores try being 5'3", 155 lbs and wearing size 6 jeans!)... I lose weight easily, but that goes with the build...

boyfriend and several family members and friends can put on weight by driving past McDonalds without even stopping and have to work quite a bit harder to lose the weight, though he puts on muscles better than my sis

so yeah, it's easier for some people, but not for everyone!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

your resident asshole

First, I want to say that yes, a big issue is that we now lead more sedentary lifestyles and there is an overabundance of unhealthy foods in society. HOWEVER, I'd like to point out something that many people do not know. I even made some pretty MS Paint pictures to illustrate my point.

Here you are, you're a normal weight. This is a sample of your fat cells. They're just being cool and chillaxing.

Oops! You got fat. Maybe you're getting a bit older and your metabolism has slowed down. Perhaps you just tend to overdo it on the desserts while you just have a desk job where you sit on your butt for hours. You aren't a teenager anymore, so you aren't outside playing football or running on the track team anymore. Look what happened. Your fat cells increased in size. However, they can only increase in size so much until new cells must be created.

You decide that you really need to get in shape, so you do the right thing. With proper diet and exercise, you did it! You're back to your original weight. However, something is different. If you compare this image to the first, you'll notice that your fat cells are taking up the same amount of area (or volume IRL) as in the first picture. However, you still have the same number of fat cells as when you were overweight! In order for you to be the same weight you were originally, your fat cells are now a bit more "deflated" that what you started with. Also, from what I understand (this might be incorrect), this little bastards don't like their small size. They can very easily balloon back up again.

No matter how much exercise you do, your body will not rid itself of these extra fat cells. The number of fat cells you have can only increase (I'm not counting liposuction or if you get a limb hacked off).

So you see...if you were never fat to begin with, you are at an advantage. However, it is much harder to remain at a normal weight if you were once fat. This is especially true if the weight is lost quickly, as on the show Biggest Loser. If you notice, many of the people on that show end up gaining the weight back. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but for some reason it's easier to keep off weight if you lose it slowly over time.

It's a shame more people don't know this.

*edit* I just did some research (translation: Googling) and found that this is apparently that some studies have found that this is not the case in some lucky individuals. In some people, the number of fat cells does not increase, so they have an easier time losing weight and keeping it off than those who unfortunately have an increase in fat cell number. Also, I've found other things that say whether or not you will have an increase in the number of fat cells is actually dependent on different locations of your body.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    First, I want to say that yes, a big issue is that we now lead more sedentary lifestyles and there is an overabundance of unhealthy foods in society. HOWEVER, I'd like to point out something that many people do not know. I even made some pretty MS Paint pictures to illustrate my point.

Here you are, you're a normal weight. This is a sample of your fat cells. They're just being cool and chillaxing.

Oops! You got fat. Maybe you're getting a bit older and your metabolism has slowed down. Perhaps you just tend to overdo it on the desserts while you just have a desk job where you sit on your butt for hours. You aren't a teenager anymore, so you aren't outside playing football or running on the track team anymore. Look what happened. Your fat cells increased in size. However, they can only increase in size so much until new cells must be created.

You decide that you really need to get in shape, so you do the right thing. With proper diet and exercise, you did it! You're back to your original weight. However, something is different. If you compare this image to the first, you'll notice that your fat cells are taking up the same amount of area (or volume IRL) as in the first picture. However, you still have the same number of fat cells as when you were overweight! In order for you to be the same weight you were originally, your fat cells are now a bit more "deflated" that what you started with. Also, from what I understand (this might be incorrect), this little bastards don't like their small size. They can very easily balloon back up again.

No matter how much exercise you do, your body will not rid itself of these extra fat cells. The number of fat cells you have can only increase (I'm not counting liposuction or if you get a limb hacked off).

So you see...if you were never fat to begin with, you are at an advantage. However, it is much harder to remain at a normal weight if you were once fat. This is especially true if the weight is lost quickly, as on the show Biggest Loser. If you notice, many of the people on that show end up gaining the weight back. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but for some reason it's easier to keep off weight if you lose it slowly over time.

It's a shame more people don't know this.
    This is really fascinating and explains a lot. And I did not know it, and hit is a shame that more people don't. Thanks for enlightening me!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

DisneyGeek, your example is frightening. Whenever I see this explained though, it makes me wonder why liposuction is not more often recommended in conjunction with or instead of the lap band or other surgical weight loss methods. By reducing the number of fat cells, liposuction would seem to offer a better long term chance for success than the other surgical methods. Given an equal amount of post-surgical effort it would logically offer the best results.

I'm not an expert, but liposuction strikes me as a more complicated surgery. Still, that can't really explain the disparity.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    This is really fascinating and explains a lot. And I did not know it, and hit is a shame that more people don't. Thanks for enlightening me!
    It's strange in that I've taken several biology and anatomy/physiology classes, yet I did not learn this in any of them. Oddly enough, I learned it in a psychology class (which is also where I first learned in bit more in depth about neurons!). This might give some people the excuse to call what I've written a load of bunk, but the evidence is still out there! Perhaps it is not widely known because it is a subject that needs more research.

Here is an article that Wikipedia cites for the above.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    DisneyGeek, your example is frightening. Whenever I see this explained though, it makes me wonder why liposuction is not more often recommended in conjunction with or instead of the lap band or other surgical weight loss methods. By reducing the number of fat cells, liposuction would seem to offer a better long term chance for success than the other surgical methods. Given an equal amount of post-surgical effort it would logically offer the best results.

I'm not an expert, but liposuction strikes me as a more complicated surgery. Still, that can't really explain the disparity.
    Again, I'm no scientist, but here are my guesses:

1. While you might look better after receiving liposuction, it would appear that liposuction is only the removal of bits of your subcutaneous fat layer (fat layer just beneath your skin). From what I can tell, this type of fat isn't really harmful to you, just unsightly.
    2. The fat that endangers you is your abdominal fat (fat inside your abdomen surrounding your organs) and and especially fat inside of your blood vessels (think high LDL cholesterol, plaques). I see no way to easily remove these that wouldn't be somewhat dangerous.

Liposuction doesn't make your healthier. It only appears so.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because they aren't active enough and eat too much high fructose corn syrup and other simple sugars.

Rats given HFCS water gained 4 times as much weight as rats given sugar water in one Princeton experiment. It's bad for you, it's bad for your metabolism.

You also can't balance out CONSTANT sitting with one 30 minute leisurely walk per day.

Television: it lowers your metabolism to a level that you actually burn LESS calories than you would reading a book or staring at a wall.

People who have more muscle burn more calories, people who are more active burn more calories, and HFCS will make you fat.