User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah like I saw a girls lacrosse team today while I was in Panera Bread, they were high school or college age, and they were all about my build (I mean in terms of having things like hips and/or breasts and muscle, and not being at all waif-like or thin). None of these girls were what I'd call slender, but they were all extremely healthy and fit. They were so muscular they could probably break your neck with their thighs.
    Yeah I met some soccer girls the other day and they looked very healthy. The word that came to mind was "robust." And they were pretty attractive in my eyes, too, though that's a separate issue.

But even then, healthy isn't just pure muscle either. I understand how body builders do the whole bulking and cutting thing, but high muscle with no fat mass thing strikes me as unhealthy LOOKING. I don't know if they are actually any more or less healthy than any other group.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Yeah I met some soccer girls the other day and they looked very healthy. The word that came to mind was "robust." And they were pretty attractive in my eyes, too, though that's a separate issue.

But even then, healthy isn't just pure muscle either. I understand how body builders do the whole bulking and cutting thing, but high muscle with no fat mass thing strikes me as unhealthy LOOKING. I don't know if they are actually any more or less healthy than any other group.
    Yeah one of my yoga instructors was talking about how building EXCESS muscle (that kind of huge, ripped, unnatural muscle look) actually impedes flexibility and other natural abilities of the body, and stiffness is something associated with age and death...and having zero body fat actually makes a person pretty stiff and inflexible.

Balance in all things. I agree that having the most bulk of muscle in the room isn't a passcode to healthy any more than being very thin is.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah one of my yoga instructors was talking about how building EXCESS muscle (that kind of huge, ripped, unnatural muscle look) actually impedes flexibility and other natural abilities of the body, and stiffness is something associated with age and death...and having zero body fat actually makes a person pretty stiff and inflexible.

Balance in all things. I agree that having the most bulk of muscle in the room isn't a passcode to healthy any more than being very thin is.
    Interesting, especially about bulky muscles.

Permabanned

Losing weight sucks that's for sure.....it It feels so uncomfortable...will power is the key.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Whenever I enjoy a night of heavy drinking (especially liquor), I tend to feel much lighter the next morning.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I vaguely recall reading something about how the risk factors associated with a high BMI apply regardless of whether the bulk is made of muscle or fat. Something about having a bigger body (whether fat, muscle or being tall) means your heart has to work harder, to pump blood and such, or something like that.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I vaguely recall reading something about how the risk factors associated with a high BMI apply regardless of whether the bulk is made of muscle or fat. Something about having a bigger body (whether fat, muscle or being tall) means your heart has to work harder, to pump blood and such, or something like that.
    THat's blood pressure and if you are overweight and have normal blood pressure you should be fine I think.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I think the main reason why it is so hard to lose weight (both individually and on a national scale) is because we actually know very little about the cause of obesity. Now people will say the cause of obesity is overeating and/or not exercising enough but what is the cause of those behaviours? Gluttony and sloth? Well what is the cause of those sins? Bad souls ?

Is the fat mouse more sinful?

Fatmouse.jpg

The problem is that the hormones that drive feeding behaviours (things like leptin and ghrelin) have only relatively recently been discovered, we know very little about them. So researchers have been in the dark for decades building up a whole industry on getting people to eat less when they didn't even know what was actually driving the eating in the first place. It's like trying to understand gigantism and dwarfism while ignoring the effects of growth hormones "Well clearly the fellow with gigantism has eaten more or exercised less than the person with dwarfism" which is technically true but does not explain why there is such a size difference.

So the problem is most of the weightloss advice out there is based on the idea that people are perfectly rational, extremely efficient calorie burning machines, unlike all the other animals on earth. We should have a Leptin index of foods instead of a Glycemic index, if you eat the foods that increase Leptin sensitivity and avoid the ones that don't then you will feel full and satisfied for longer and you will lose weight. But no one knows what those foods are or even if it's the foods that are causing Leptin resistance or some other unknown factor that breaks down the Leptin signaling and tells your brain that you're starving.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Interesting, especially about bulky muscles.
    IIRC too high of muscle volume puts stress on the organs and impedes their function to some degree.

The high-muscle, low-fat physiques suck the life out of your energy levels as well. Unless you've hit the genetic lottery, maintaining that kind of tissue ratio actually drops your overall strength compared to a body who has a little bit more fat. It's my understanding that most men are at their peak strength around 20% body fat, while the majority of male models are sitting somewhere in the single digits to early teens.

Just goes to show that the stereotypes associated with "perfect" bodies aren't perfect from a physiological standpoint. A shame we get bombarded with this kind of expectation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

It isn't all to do with habits or whatever. A lot of it is dependent on how much brown fat you have. Brown fat burns regular [white] fat. People who are very obese tend not to have very much of it. I don't know whether not having much of it in the first place contributes to the start of obesity, or if it gets converted/broken down as a result of becoming obese and further reinforces obesity. Possibly both, I really can't say as I haven't read a whole lot about it.

Here's one article for a quick overview of what that is.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...own-fat.html#b