User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

For the average person, yes, simply restricting calories and increasing physical activity will make them lose weight.

That doesn't make it either healthy or sustainable.

I'm assuming Jix is a pretty normal guy with no significant physical or psychological issues that would prevent him from losing weight and no significant environmental obstacles to losing weight. In this case, awesome, I'm glad it's working for you. :]

For others it's not so purely chemical-behavioral, and it will take different strategies to get them to a healthy state. These are much less clear, much less supported, and much less of an easy fix. Personally, I think actually the majority of overweight people are overweight because of a combination of socioeconomic, psychological, and behavioral reasons. Depending on the state of each of those variables, it will be easier or not to impact weight. Behavior is probably the easiest fix of the three.

Personally, I am more healthy at a relatively heavier weight now than I was having body image issues and eating a can of chicken soup and a salad a day and then a whole box of Pop-Tarts out of nowhere once a week when I was 13. I am muscularly built and I hated my body as a teen, and unsucessfully tried to starve myself (unsurprisingly, when you're mostly muscle and not much fat, you don't lose much weight). Now, would I lose weight if I ate better and exercised more? Yes. Would I be healthier? Maybe, as long as I didn't fall back into the psychological and behavioral patterns I used to have. My biggest obstacle personally is hitting the middle ground between too little and too much, in particular because I am poor at judging my levels of satiation and exertion. As of right now, I'd rather be a little soft around the edges and eat like a normal person than be a more physically healthy weight and grapple with psychological dysfunction. For me, losing weight is hard because it's so tied up in psychological struggle and self-esteem.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It's hard because it's hard! Lol. People think it's easy to get off the couch and break a sweat? It's not but its necessary. Eventually, feeling good and healthy gets addicting.

You have to be disciplined. At least, at first. It gets easier once it becomes habit. It's a lifestyle change! Not just a choice. Healthy living (emotionally, physically) has to be a priority for you - not just losing weight. That's a benefit.

Educate yourself. No diets!!

Set realistic expectations. Above all - No excuses. You're in control of you.

I'm 34 and have recently hit a wall with losing weight so I joined a jujitsu gym. I'm hooked and the workouts are showing me how much time I wasted on elliptical and moderate weights. I wasn't pushing myself hard enough. So, find a workout that works for you. I'm in the best shape of my life now.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It's hard because it's hard! Lol. People think it's easy to get off the couch and break a sweat? It's not but its necessary. Eventually, feeling good and healthy gets addicting.

You have to be disciplined. At least, at first. It gets easier once it becomes habit. It's a lifestyle change! Not just a choice. Healthy living (emotionally, physically) has to be a priority for you - not just losing weight. That's a benefit.

Educate yourself. No diets!!

Set realistic expectations. Above all - No excuses. You're in control of you.

I'm 34 and have recently hit a wall with losing weight so I joined a jujitsu gym. I'm hooked and the workouts are showing me how much time I wasted on elliptical and moderate weights. I wasn't pushing myself hard enough. So, find a workout that works for you. I'm in the best shape of my life now.
    That's why I think purchasing a decent heart rate monitor is the single most important tool for fitness, whether for weight loss (the calorie burn calculating ones are handy here) or increased athleticism. It's very easy to slack off, so having the stupid thing beep at you when you've dropped below a certain heart rate zone is helpful for letting you know that you need to step it up. It also helps to save time...you can see that your heart rate has adjusted to a certain activity and that your calorie burn is not as high anymore, so you can either move on to another more intense/efficient activity or move up in time/frequency/intensity. You won't run into the problem of "oh shit, I'm not losing as much weight running two miles three times a week as I used to...what's happening?"

It also gives you some data to play with, which in conjunction to keeping track of your calories/macros, gives you a sense of control over the various factors that contribute to weight loss/fitness/increased performance. So you can change things and experiment to see what factors are key to conditioning your body at any specific point in time.

P.S. - I try to write without using the universal "you," but I was lazy this time and I don't feel like editing again. So, @MPD2525, when I say "you" I am not referring to you personally.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I wasn't pushing myself hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    That's why I think purchasing a decent heart rate monitor is the single most important tool for fitness, whether for weight loss (the calorie burn calculating ones are handy here) or increased athleticism.
    What I've found works for me is to have a friend or a gym mate to exercise with. Especially if the other person has more experience to get you through. Sort of like an unofficial coach to push you to do more.

Things like play catch up with that friend (he/she might be faster) which makes you run harder.
    Having that same friend look at you work on free weights (no fear of not being able to bench your last rep since the person there can help you out.)
    Once you can catch up to a reasonable spot with that person, both can help push each other further.
    One person can pester the other to exercise and get motivated to move.

So whether it is getting healthy, losing weight, or gaining bulk, it is sort of a mutual benefit to have another person to exercise with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

It's hard because it's hard! Lol.
    Lol, truth. No pain, no gain - er, loss.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    pop
    Socionics
    A.B

In my general observation people usually fail to lose weight, because they are not actually committed and strong at back of their mind. As for the purpose, first of all you need to be firm on your stand and do whatever it takes. With out any lame excuses.
    Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

MBTI
    XXFP

I don't think it was mentioned, but I think the fixation on weight is a mistake.

Health =/= being a certain weight.

Weight is, however, a convenient metric to measure, but it's only roughly related to actual overall health.

Unfortunately, "health" is harder to measure.

Personally, I want to stay fit and healthy and be able to stay active for a long time while keeping up a certain baseline level of athleticism now in the present. The weight is pretty unimportant.
    Last edited by Bamboo; 03-16-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I don't think it was mentioned, by I think the fixation on weight is a mistake.

Health =/= being a certain weight.

Weight is, however, a convenient metric to measure, but it's only roughly related to actual overall health.

Unfortunately, "health" is harder to measure.

Personally, I want to stay fit and healthy and be able to stay active for a long time while keeping up a certain baseline level of athleticism now in the present. The weight is pretty unimportant.
    Yeah like I saw a girls lacrosse team today while I was in Panera Bread, they were high school or college age, and they were all about my build (I mean in terms of having things like hips and/or breasts and muscle, and not being at all waif-like or thin). None of these girls were what I'd call slender, but they were all extremely healthy and fit. They were so muscular they could probably break your neck with their thighs.

MBTI
    INTP

"Nahhh that's crazy talk, fat people must just be unaware of the benefits of dieting and exercise!"

People may not live in the real world. Their body does.
    Look at the first rule in physics:
    Weight is the counter measure of gravity.

Apropos gravity is the counter measure of weight.
    Think thin.