• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blood Types and Donating.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've learned recently that I had type AB+ blood, which is one of the rarest blood types (about every 3 in 100 people has AB+.)

Jokingly, I wondered why I have not given blood yet. I did think of many times of giving blood, but I often thought I wasn't a good candidate for giving too much blood.

If people knew about blood types, AB+ people can only give blood to other AB+ people. However, AB+ people can receive blood (without other complicating factors) from any other blood types from the ABO+/- group. Since my blood type only benefits my blood type (other blood types have no use for it), the other blood types (especially O+/-) would be more in demand than my AB+ blood. So I've learned, even if I wanted to donate blood, I might just be turned down because my blood is not in demand anyways.

But since a few events recently, I've found that I can donate platelets and, especially, plasma. Plasma for AB blood type is like blood for O types, plasma from AB types can be given to other blood types without problems (again, as long as there aren't complications.)

For those who have donated platelets or plasma, how is the procedure compared to donating whole blood? Do you get woozy like you do having whole blood drawn from you?

I plan to see if my local blood drives are willing to receive my plasma and platelets (if I am fit and healthy enough for it, anyhow.)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard donating plasma is a longer, more painful process.. but some places will pay you for it.. which, while donation is commendable.. it can't hurt to get a bit of pocket change, as well, right?

You might want to contact your local hospital about blood/plasma etc drives in your area. They'll give you a ton of free info.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard donating plasma is a longer, more painful process.. but some places will pay you for it.. which, while donation is commendable.. it can't hurt to get a bit of pocket change, as well, right?

I am learning it has a longer process, but that is the only thing I do know.

Interesting, but there isn't a guarantee that the plasma would only go towards hospitals, is that correct? I would be willing to get some pocket change if it is needed.

You might want to contact your local hospital about blood/plasma etc drives in your area. They'll give you a ton of free info.

I do plan on visiting one ;). If I am able to donate platelets and plasma, I would be willing to do so.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I donate whole blood every few months at the blood center... I'm type A-, which is one of the uncommon ones, though I can donate to any type A or AB thanks to the negative type... I tend to donate blood out of fear that I'll be in a horrible accident and will need a transfusion :ninja:

plus, I like the snacks that they offer afterwords :blush:

it's funny, but they're always pretty excited about my blood type when I wander in and they phone stalk me when I'm up for a donation again and haven't gone in :unsure:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I donate whole blood every few months at the blood center... I'm type A-, which is one of the uncommon ones, though I can donate to any type A or AB thanks to the negative type...

Being able to help 4 different blood groups are still very helpful :)

I tend to donate blood out of fear that I'll be in a horrible accident and will need a transfusion :ninja:

That is the thing about the AB blood type, the plasma is especially important for people in trauma (such as burn and car crashes) aside from the blood loss itself. The people can extract more plasma out of me and leave my blood in my system (if they'd wish.)

They do say that they try to match a person's blood as close as possible because it'll mean less possible complications.

Usehername

On a mission
You should always donate, no matter your type. Someone needs your blood.

:yes:

They direct mine to the NICU babies & those going through chemo.

I just donated yesterday.

Usehername

On a mission
I am learning it has a longer process, but that is the only thing I do know.

Interesting, but there isn't a guarantee that the plasma would only go towards hospitals, is that correct? I would be willing to get some pocket change if it is needed.

I do plan on visiting one ;). If I am able to donate platelets and plasma, I would be willing to do so.

IIRC it only saves lives if it's free; if you're getting paid, it's for research purposes and most often pharmaceutical research that makes $$, not scholarly research figuring out cures, etc.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For those who have donated platelets or plasma, how is the procedure compared to donating whole blood? Do you get woozy like you do having whole blood drawn from you?
I got the impression that they can separate plasma from blood and only need a ordinary blood donation (I have no idea about platelets). I remember being told something like that anyway. I think they can do that if you don't fit some of the criteria (like having lived in countries with malaria or maybe having a particular sexual history) for your blood be used - maybe certain of diseases and problems aren't carried in plasma, or something like that.

I donate whole blood every few months at the blood center... I'm type A-, which is one of the uncommon ones, though I can donate to any type A or AB thanks to the negative type... I tend to donate blood out of fear that I'll be in a horrible accident and will need a transfusion :ninja:

plus, I like the snacks that they offer afterwords :blush:

it's funny, but they're always pretty excited about my blood type when I wander in and they phone stalk me when I'm up for a donation again and haven't gone in :unsure:
Yeah, I donate like 3 or 4 times a year and they always ring me and chase me down. I'm O- which is the one type that everyone can have (and something like only 9% of the population have it - well in NZ anyway) so they practically roll out the red carpet for me. :D

It's pretty much the only truly virtuous and charitable thing I do - partly because I really hate doing it. I hate needles, the sight (and thought) of blood makes my stomach turn, and I find the whole process is rather creepy (all those people lying there in those weird chairs with needles in their arms - ugh, yuck). Every time I do it the nurses hover over me asking me repeatedly if I'm OK because I go white as a sheet and look miserable. :laugh: OMG! My heart is beating hard right now - I feel sick just writing about it! :shock:

What made me do it the first time was being told a statistic which said 80% of the population will need a blood transfusion some time in their life and only 5% of the population donate blood. After hearing that I thought I kinda had to do it at least once so I wasn't a total hypocrite. I remember, that first time that the nurse said afterwards, "Well done! You've saved up to 3 lives!" - and that just blew me away. I did it the second time to prove I wasn't a pathetic baby about it and then a 3rd time to really prove the first 2 times weren't just co-incidence. After that I just kept going. I think I've done it 12 times now.

And yes the snacks are good. I'm always happy when I'm some place where I can have as many free lollies and chocolate biscuits as I want, without being monitored and judged over it. :devil:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10431]Rail Tracer[/MENTION] ... I was reading on that and found it to be kind of funny- that the universality of donorship reverses for plasma from whole blood :laugh:

and [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] I totally understand that, as the sight of my own blood makes me faint :blush: (the blood of others, however, doesn't faze me, which makes me sound rather sociopathic :shock:). I like it how they even tell me from time to time how many lives I've saved since I've started donating blood!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
... I was reading on that and found it to be kind of funny- that the universality of donorship reverses for plasma from whole blood :laugh

Yes, it is something like:

O- can give red blood cells to all blood types. They are universal red blood cell donors, but they can only receive red blood cells from other O- people. O-, along with O+ are universal plasma receivers.

AB+ can receive red blood cells from all types, so they are universal red blood cell receivers. Things reverse when we are talking about plasma. AB+/- are universal plasma donors and can give their plasma to all blood types. However, AB+ and AB- can only receive plasma from other AB+/- people.

However, when we are talking about actual whole blood (red blood cells, platelets, and plasma) than that blood should only be given to the same blood type. That is, unless the people drawing the blood decided to separate the components.