User Tag List

12 Last

Default What's this gluten free deal?

Why are people trying to live gluten free?

I've no idea what this is about and knowing that if I'd known about all the diabetes causing things years ago I'd have done a lot differently I think I should find out about this, also anyone else know of any other dietary trends which are important?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Gluten-free diets are medically indicated with celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis, and IgA nephropathy. Sometimes people find benefits with Crohn's disease and a few other conditions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

1.) People are becoming more aware of cases of celiac disease and other forms of gluten intolerance.

2.) Some people ran with that and decided to go all "bread is evil for everyone"

End result: a lot of people found out they really can't have gluten and decided to cut it out (yay!), some people bought in to the hype and started to cut it out supposedly be healthier or lose weight (still skeptical here, obviously), and some people are cutting it out just to do what everyone else is doing (and wasting their moneys on overpriced GF stuffs...)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

There's a whole lot of speculation out there going around (only 1 scientific study I know of so far-- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599 -- done in mice though) that gluten is actually bad for you, particularly modern strains produced from cross-breeding and such. I dunno, but I discovered by accident when I started doing low-carb that wheat does cause some ... GI "issues" I'd had in the past but never understood the cause of (cause I never thought to give up wheat, who would?). I figured this out when I started bringing carbs back into my diet.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Anew Leaf

I know from experimentation with myself that gluten free living is far healthier for me than not.

The book "Wheat Belly" is a pretty good read with science behind it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I tried gluten free for about a month just to see what all of the fuss was about. No difference detected, either in the overall disposition of my body or weight. Luckily I don't need to lose, so there wasn't a big let down in that arena. Shopping became quite tedious, though.

I'm getting a little tired of the whole moralizing about food thing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I've dropped gluten and dairy and I feel so much better.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    1.) People are becoming more aware of cases of celiac disease and other forms of gluten intolerance.

2.) Some people ran with that and decided to go all "bread is evil for everyone"

End result: a lot of people found out they really can't have gluten and decided to cut it out (yay!), some people bought in to the hype and started to cut it out supposedly be healthier or lose weight (still skeptical here, obviously), and some people are cutting it out just to do what everyone else is doing (and wasting their moneys on overpriced GF stuffs...)
    +1. I think it makes sense to try it if you have a lot of GI issues, because why not? Otherwise, I doubt it'll make you any healthier.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I hadn't realized before, but there are a number of scientists who think that gluten and poor thyroid function can be connected. I think it probably has to do with the greatly increased gluten content in wheat that has occurred in the last years. There have been droves of people diagnosed with celiac's and gluten intolerance where 10 years ago it was an extremely rare condition. While some of the population may have been underdiagnosed, I think the problems have worsened.

Unfortunately, if you develop celiac's, it can also leave you more susceptible to other auto-immune disorders. If I had it to do over again, I would have eaten more carefully earlier in my life (more fruits and vegetables) and maybe not cut out gluten, but de-emphasized it in my diet, since it is very pervasive already.

brainheart

My daughter has celiac and it caused her multiple, terrible GI problems when she was younger. She'd also get really moody and irritable. Lots of screaming and crying and pain. Poor girl

Now that she's been GF for years she's so much better.

Because she has celiac I've been primarily GF for quite awhile now. Because it's a genetic disease it comes from either me or her father. He developed an autoimmune arthritis two years ago and has had GI issues his whole life, so I told him he should get tested for celiac. I said I'd do the bloodwork too, but in order to do that I had to start eating gluten again. Reintroducing it to my diet, I had immediate brain fog, fatigue, and ADD symptoms I haven't had in awhile. I never made the connection before, back when I was diagnosed with Adult ADD, that those symptoms had gradually disappeared in the last several months and that's when I rarely ate gluten anymore. Feeling so dumb and tired definitely triggered some depression as well.

Long story short, I'm done with gluten. I haven't gotten the bloodwork back, but I don't really care what the result is. I know what makes me feel better, so that's what I'm going to do.