User Tag List

12 Last

Default Supplemental To The Gym

I'm going to the gym lots at the moment but its not enough and I was wondering about "days off" or exercises or home equipment to supplement the gym, what do you own? What do you think is essential? So far I figure a jump rope and beyond that press ups, sit ups and squats are pretty much it.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm going to the gym lots at the moment but its not enough and I was wondering about "days off" or exercises or home equipment to supplement the gym, what do you own? What do you think is essential? So far I figure a jump rope and beyond that press ups, sit ups and squats are pretty much it.
    What do you do at the gym? One doesn't necessarily need to exercise longer, merely smarter.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Precisely. Studies show that people who worked out within their capacity for 30 minutes showed equal or near it results to people who did the same activity for an hour+.

I never go to the gym.. but I DO supplement my workouts. Sometimes I feel like caca, or I'm sick, or I ate too much or ran out of time. And doing something is still better than doing nothing.

I have my hard-core work out DVDs that I try to get done 2-4 times a week. But! Sometimes in the mornings when I'm motivated, or when I'm the opposite.. I have this old-lady-ish DVD that's called "Walk At Home".. And all you're doing is walking in place and listening to this girl sound a little like pac-man (walk-walk-walk) for 20 minutes. It doesn't really get my heart rate up on the first mile, but even if that is all I do I feel like putting some effort into it is better than nothing.

For you though.. I HIGHLY recommend a yoga DVD. Even if you're not flexible at all (I'm about as flexible as my box-spring mattress) attempting to do the stretches and work the muscles that way is really helpful.. both for your gym visits and for your overall goals. You'll recover from gym trips faster, and you'll be gaining the flexibility and stability you need to offset harder work outs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I have my hard-core work out DVDs that I try to get done 2-4 times a week. But! Sometimes in the mornings when I'm motivated, or when I'm the opposite.. I have this old-lady-ish DVD that's called "Walk At Home".. And all you're doing is walking in place and listening to this girl sound a little like pac-man (walk-walk-walk) for 20 minutes. It doesn't really get my heart rate up on the first mile, but even if that is all I do I feel like putting some effort into it is better than nothing.
    Any workout DVDs you would recommend? I do mostly martial arts at the gym and have to catch up on other things at home due to schedule constraints.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Any workout DVDs you would recommend? I do mostly martial arts at the gym and have to catch up on other things at home due to schedule constraints.
    Oh yes. It depends on your style, but I'll give you my go-to DVDs.

If you would like a dance DVD - Dance off the inches Hip Hop Party. http://www.walmart.com/ip/8001856 It's not really hip hop music... just generic pop-ish music in the background. But! It's the only dance DVD that hasn't made me want to vomit, roll my eyes, throw something, or scream. The steps are easy, do-able, and actually make you sweat by the end of it.. So not too hard, nor too easy. (The last dance DVD I bought I watched it for 10 seconds and then shut it off. Nothing has beat this DVD.)

If you're sick, feeling lazy, or too sore to do a different work out: Walk At Home http://www.walmart.com/ip/10208735 It measures out miles, you need nothing, and it's a mild work out designed to get you to walk 1-5 miles in one single space. She's a bit cheery and up-beat, and she's got a gentle disposition aimed at beginner level training.. If I've got it in my mind that I refuse to do my work outs, this is what I turn to.

If you want to really make muscle definition, lose weight, and train, there are two different ones I cycle through. 1 month of one, 1 month of the other. Rinse, repeat.
    The Biggest Loser: http://www.walmart.com/ip/4321207 All of the DVDs are viable, but I like the original one the best. The workouts are challenging, have several levels for all fitness types, and the only equipment you really need is a set of weights and maybe a mat. I've been sore for days after this work out even after a 9 month deployment full of army PT and training in the desert.

AAannd Jillian Michaels 30 day shred: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jillian-Mi...-Frame/8744608 (Ripped in 30 is almost the exact same way, but different work outs and a bit more advanced overall, I'd recommend either.) Easy to follow levels of fitness, clear-cut times of how long you'll be doing an exercise so that you aren't giving up and then cursing for giving up towards the end, and she ensures to hit upper body, lower body, back, shoulders, chest, and abs in every single work out. Again, minimal gear with just weights and maybe a mat.

To be honest, I'm still looking for a Yoga DVD I like.. So far, my favorite one is this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/10741379 I get impatient with stretching easily... This one, having 15 minute increments, is one I can stick with. The guy has other DVDs, and he really knows his stuff, but he has no idea what an impatient person (especially one that isn't flexible) wants out of a work out and his DVDs reflect that and frustrate me easily. This one is the only one I've found thus far and it's another good one to do if you're feeling sick or lazy.

I've tried a LOT of DVDs in my day.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I like hiking and other fun activities as supplemental to the gym.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ A good point. I go snowboarding once a year, which really makes me focus on working out my legs in preparation (a muscle group a lot of men actually get lazy on) to go and not be useless by the 1st run.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, you can try hiking, or ice skating, or golf (if you have the money). Perhaps tennis too. But if you're training 3 times a week and pretty hard, I believe you shouldn't push yourself more than that.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    What do you do at the gym? One doesn't necessarily need to exercise longer, merely smarter.
    I usually do sixteen or twenty minutes cross trainer at highest effort level I can, then I use the resistance weight machines (low row, shoulder press, lat machine, crunch machine, another one which exercises biceps I think) sometimes if I'm able I'll then do a further twenty minutes of cycling.

MBTI
    INTJ

Swimming is very good exercise and helps all around easily.

I also train Aikido and found that yoga or pilates helps in gaining control and flexibility as well as decreasing the amount of muscle pain overall.