User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Does anyone here suffer from seasonal effective disorder?

aka seasonal depression or "winter blues"? what are some strategies and coping techniques that help you deal with this issue?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

My uncle does and I think I exhibit some traits. There are special lamps you can buy for inside the house that are supposed to help. Also, exercise, proper sleeping habits, and nutrition are supposed to help stave off depression in general.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    My uncle does and I think I exhibit some traits. There are special lamps you can buy for inside the house that are supposed to help. Also, exercise, proper sleeping habits, and nutrition are supposed to help stave off depression in general.
    Yeah another thing too is to take vitamin D supplements since the main source is the sun.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I didn't quite believe in SAD until I moved to the PNW...holy crap the transition between Florida and here.

I take a lot of vitamin D. I need to buy one of those lamps...do they even help? I use some aromatherapy. It helps a little.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I didn't quite believe in SAD until I moved to the PNW...holy crap the transition between Florida and here.

I take a lot of vitamin D. I need to buy one of those lamps...do they even help? I use some aromatherapy. It helps a little
    Yeah well if you buy a lamp they are fairly expensive but could be worth it. Northern light technologies make the best ones. I didn't realize how vitamin d deficiant i was until i got a test done recently by my doctor i take up to 4800 iu a day now. If you see sunlight its always best to go out the sun produces 10,000 to 20,000 iu per hour.

MBTI
    INFJ

Sockeye Salmon and Albacore Tuna both have lots of vitamin D (about four or five times that in a cup of milk)
    You of course can't eat that every single day but it's a good choice for a boost.

Vitamin C is also really helpful I find, red bell peppers, kiwi, and obviously oranges are quite good. I will eat craptons of all these, I'm practically a fruitarian with all the fruits I eat.

I've also found that oranges help a lot with my joint problems (helps with collagen) and just depression in general.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't think SAD is an illness...it's normal to feel less energetic when there's less sunlight around. What is lost in the winter it's usually made up by being more manic during the spring days.

FTR, Vitamin D is only a very small part of the equation - the biggest problem is direct lack of sunlight which does not deplete melatonin in our body.

If you see sunlight its always best to go out the sun produces 10,000 to 20,000 iu per hour.
    If you're above the 40th parallel, only from end of February to early November.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm sort of in the Pacific Northwest too......... totally started affecting me when I moved here. Eventually I had to get the indoor daylight lights and take vitamins everyday. Also maybe try blocking out all the windows when it is rainy and go outdoors a lot when it is sunny.....

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't think SAD is an illness...it's normal to feel less energetic when there's less sunlight around. What is lost in the winter it's usually made up by being more manic during the spring days.

FTR, Vitamin D is only a very small part of the equation - the biggest problem is direct lack of sunlight which does not deplete melatonin in our body.

If you're above the 40th parallel, only from end of February to early November.
    I don't think cyclical insomnia is an illness, it's normal to be tired and have difficulty sleeping if your internal clock is out of wack.
    I don't think depression is an illness, it's normal to feel emotionally numb and lack all drive for months after a negative experience.
    I don't think parkinson is an illness, it's normal to get all shaky if your neurons' myelin sheets are degenerating due to counter circuits
    i dont th..

Any freaking illness is based on a trait we have that is made dysfunctional beyond what is normal.

I have SAD, believe me, feeling nearly clinically depressed for 3 months a year EVERY YEAR for no other reason than lack of sun IS an illness and is NOT the average : "well, its winter, im a little tired."
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    aka seasonal depression or "winter blues"? what are some strategies and coping techniques that help you deal with this issue?
    go out at the times of maximum illumination. Buy a high lumen lamp and expose yourself to it 30 mins a day, esp after waking up, you can use it while you are changing for example.
    vitamin D
    Eat outside when you can (or close to a window)
    Drink a coffee in the morning
    Stay physically active (it's cold outside? Well, walk faster!)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE