First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    19 Fahrenheit or Celsius?
    Fahrenheit
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Fahrenheit
    Are you albino?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Are you albino?
    Not even close.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Guy V. Malaxia View Post
    I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but you all who get the winter blues every year should look into taking some vitamin D supplements. Deficiencies have been linked to an overall depressed mood. It's a difficult nutrient to adequately incorporate into the diet for several reasons, and unless you're bathing in the sun every day you're most likely not getting enough.

Anecdotally, I've been taking about 10,000 IUs a day for a few months now and I feel great. There's a lot of competing research on how much should be taken, but it's pretty much common consensus that what's advocated as the current DRA is borderline deficient.
    It's obviously not the cause of my problem, because my depression starts in the spring.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    SAD could just be a signal that you're living in the wrong place for your body.
    I hate to say it, but MOVE! I have had SAD all my life even living in California and all it took was one winter in Missouri to really kick into a deep deep bad place. Moved back to California and I still get it, but not nearly as bad. I've just kind of accepted that "I live for spring summer fall". As for winter, I just hunker down and "get through it...". Getting through it means don't lose your good habits from the other seasons: exercise, vitamins, social connections, no comfort carbs. However, at the end of the day nothing really ever helps except MOVING. Even temporarily: every year since I was a teen I've gone to Mexico or Hawaii or somewhere with sun in December for a week vacation and it was like a resurrection! Somehowe that would be enough to then carry me through to the spring (the reminder that it's just the stupid season and there is a cure that comes every year, the season will change.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I hate to say it, but MOVE! I have had SAD all my life even living in California and all it took was one winter in Missouri to really kick into a deep deep bad place. Moved back to California and I still get it, but not nearly as bad. I've just kind of accepted that "I live for spring summer fall". As for winter, I just hunker down and "get through it...". Getting through it means don't lose your good habits from the other seasons: exercise, vitamins, social connections, no comfort carbs. However, at the end of the day nothing really ever helps except MOVING. Even temporarily: every year since I was a teen I've gone to Mexico or Hawaii or somewhere with sun in December for a week vacation and it was like a resurrection! Somehowe that would be enough to then carry me through to the spring (the reminder that it's just the stupid season and there is a cure that comes every year, the season will change.
    Sounds like you have "I hate winter" syndrome. But do you have any real depression symptoms?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Sounds like you have "I hate winter" syndrome. But do you have any real depression symptoms?
    Look I'm not going to to try to "prove" that I have SAD, but I know the winter months for me have always been more challenging then I think they're supposed to be most people. It would interfere with my life like depression does in a clinical depression case. Was I ever on the doorstep of hurting myself? No never. Was I horribly numb and wanting to just sleep for 5 years and wake up when "things are all better" YES.

I think what clued me into all this is that a couple of times growing up I/we (family) thought I was depressed but then I would get better. We thought nothing of the season. Then, looking backwards, we all realized that without fail it had been the past 5 winters. Then I moved to Texas for school to a more southern latitude and I'd still get it but not as bad. I graduated and came back to California and I sure enough had it again. I remember my room mates in that February joking after I came to life, "man we weren't sure you were gonna make it! ... We're glad to have you back though!". The next fall I was in Missouri. When I got there I was for a new good job and pretty chipper and eager ENTP self. By winter I was almost legit clinical depression (it's really effing dark there!). basically had a breakdown and quit the job. I remember crying at night, planning to just go AWOL and get a plane somewhere and never show up to work. Then I realized I was have a breakdown and should just quit.

This year was my first winter working outside and my symptoms were much more manageable. Of course I'd still have winter blues, but nothing that made me want to hibernate for 5 years until "life is better".

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Look I'm not going to to try to "prove" that I have SAD, but I know the winter months for me have always been more challenging then I think they're supposed to be most people. It would interfere with my life like depression does in a clinical depression case. Was I ever on the doorstep of hurting myself? No never. Was I horribly numb and wanting to just sleep for 5 years and wake up when "things are all better" YES.

I think what clued me into all this is that a couple of times growing up I/we (family) thought I was depressed but then I would get better. We thought nothing of the season. Then, looking backwards, we all realized that without fail it had been the past 5 winters. Then I moved to Texas for school to a more southern latitude and I'd still get it but not as bad. I graduated and came back to California and I sure enough had it again. I remember my room mates in that February joking after I came to life, "man we weren't sure you were gonna make it! ... We're glad to have you back though!". The next fall I was in Missouri. When I got there I was for a new good job and pretty chipper and eager ENTP self. By winter I was almost legit clinical depression (it's really effing dark there!). basically had a breakdown and quit the job. I remember crying at night, planning to just go AWOL and get a plane somewhere and never show up to work. Then I realized I was have a breakdown and should just quit.

This year was my first winter working outside and my symptoms were much more manageable. Of course I'd still have winter blues, but nothing that made me want to hibernate for 5 years until "life is better".
    Thanks for going into more detail, but as for your solution to the problem, in my case I would have to move to Alaska to feel better. So regarding my situation, I feel better (stronger, more energetic) in the winter when it's cold and ugly outside, and feel worse (low dysthymic mood) during my favorite season of the year, summer.

Spring is starting to feel like it's here, and it sure is one of the best mood-enhancers.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Spring is starting to feel like it's here, and it sure is one of the best mood-enhancers.
    Sure it is for some people.