User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I have reverse SADD. I get pretty severely depressed in the spring, and feel elated and well in the fall.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    U mad? Cyclical insomnia, depression and parkison cannot simply be cured by moving 7-8 parallels south and-or by a string of sunny days. Of course the border between illness and not is always subjective, so from that POV you are right. SAD could just be a signal that you're living in the wrong place for your body.
    If you have to put on a coat then you're 'living in the wrong place for your body'.

Your body has homeostasis with your environment. If you get left out in the cold, you die. Just because you can survive some place due to constructed protections does not mean you are or are not living in the right or wrong place.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I'm sort of in the Pacific Northwest too......... totally started affecting me when I moved here. Eventually I had to get the indoor daylight lights and take vitamins everyday. Also maybe try blocking out all the windows when it is rainy and go outdoors a lot when it is sunny.....
    yeah, it can get pretty bad. I'm gonna have to give it up and get some lights. We actually had a little sun today and despite the cold, I opened the window, put on some music and started singing! That's pretty bad.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I have reverse SADD. I get pretty severely depressed in the spring, and feel elated and well in the fall.
    People have that too it's not as common I just don't see how though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think it has to do with whether you are a solar or a lunar personality.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yes, I've had seasonal affective since I was like 12 that has turned into bipolar with a roughly predictable seasonal pattern. I find that having a routine helps, and just make sure you're getting as much awake times during sunlight as possible. I use a broad spectrum white light in the winter mornings, and that's helping immensely this year. It does have some bad side effects when you first start using it. (Irritability/ insomnia), and it takes a couple weeks to start working. Insurance sometimes pays for the light if you have a diagnosis.

There are some studies saying blue light helps SAD people, and some that promote the broad spectrum white. I am sensitive to the white, it makes the bipolar worse if I'm not medicated properly. Some people do have those kinds of reactions to it. Anyway, they run from about 60 dollars to 300 dollars. Mine was 60, it's cute and called "lightphoria". Only reason it was so cheap is because it's small and you have to keep your face like nine inches from it which makes it hard to do other things. I'm not a morning person anyway so I just stare at it half asleep for 15 minutes when I get up. With this method, I went from sleeping 14-15 hours in the winter to 7-9. Hope this helps.

(Edit: Also, read amazon reviews about these lights, they are hilarious!! This one family was facing the dumb thing at the grumpiest person at the breakfast table in the morning and were like "our whole family is happier!!" )
    I heard that seasonal effective disorder can turn into bi-polar is it because your symptoms went untreated? I've noticed that my symptoms tend to be the worst during the darkest days of the year right around Christmas. Over here in Canada the summers stay bright up until 10:00pm and the winters get dark around 4:30- 5:00 that's an average of 5 hours less sunlight it's quite a bit. Strangely enough my body/mind gets used to the crappy whether around February and it doesn't affect me as much. The sad lamp I bought was quite expensive because I wanted something that works, and it seems to be helping I hear you can make your own lamps as well. The one I have only has 4 fluorescent bulbs attached to one another pretty basic for such an expensive lamp.http://northernlighttechnologies.com...lite-desk-lamp

Permabanned

I think it has to do with whether you are a solar or a lunar personality.
    Well from what I've read most people have winter Sad and few have spring/summer sad. I've read that Spring/summer sad has more to do with being anxious around that time than depressed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It feels like an overwhelming melancholy. True, it's not the same as a clinical depression kind of numbness -- it's more vivid -- but it's all-pervasive and interferes with functioning to some extent. Or, since I live where it gets way too hot and humid for about five months of the year, maybe it's just that I'm dreading summer.

Permabanned

It feels like an overwhelming melancholy. True, it's not the same as a clinical depression kind of numbness -- it's more vivid -- but it's all-pervasive and interferes with functioning to some extent. Or, since I live where it gets way too hot and humid for about five months of the year, maybe it's just that I'm dreading summer.
    Wanna switch houses?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes! Yes please! That's a great idea!