User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Working out, better overall self image.
    Yeah after I exercise I am always like DAMN am I good looking.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Working out, better overall self image.
    So is it more of a placebo than anything?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    So is it more of a placebo than anything?
    No it's the minds natural way of rewarding itself for an accomplishment.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

No it's the minds natural way of rewarding itself for an accomplishment.
    It's strange because after I work out and look in the mirror, I have trouble determining whether I objectively look better or if my mind is just telling me I do.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I still say you're doing this shit for the wrong reasons U. I would say use an calorie calculator to find your daily caloric needs and a bmi calculator to get yourself into a healthy body fat percentage for your height. You also have to take into account your unique body composition. I imagine if you worked out more you would tend more towards a muscular build than a leaner one so you could afford to be in a slightly higher range on BMI. As for being attractive, just maintain a level of fitness that gets a response from the women you find attractive. You have fairly high standards, so this means you may be shooting for an athletic build for yourself which in a man 10% body fat would be around that level.
    I think the idea of diligently counting every calorie that goes into your body is silly and pointless.

Here's how you do it...

The more exercise you do, the more you can eat, and vice versa. Just use logic and don't eat too much junk food if you're interested in slimming down a bit.

IMO, you look fine, but if you want to lose weight, that's fine too. Do whatever makes you happy, but try not to obsess over it.

Permabanned

It's strange because after I work out and look in the mirror, I have trouble determining whether I objectively look better or if my mind is just telling me I do.
    You should feel better because the body releases endorphin's a "feel good" sensation in the brain. http://www.webmd.com/depression/guid...ise-depression

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

From your picture, I can't tell about your weight because the T-shirt is baggy. I think people are right that you look like you could have a lot of muscle if working out. You do have an intimidating look in that picture, and you look a lot different than when you made that silly video singing a goofy song where you look like Jayne from Firefly.
    Probably the only "objective" aspect of appearance is health, so working out will just gradually make you healthier.

It has always been a source of fascination to me how people perceive their own appearance and how that influences the perception of others. It doesn't seem to be tied to how they actually look. I have seen many homely people who think they are really attractive and beautiful people who think they are ugly. It really is a mystery how irrational the mind can be about these things. It has always bothered me because I'd like to have objective evaluations of myself, but find that is one of the hardest areas to think clearly. My impression is that self-image has a great deal to do with emotional development and how parent and peers treated us when young and impressionable. It is not clear to me how much we can alter those emotional imprints, but improving health is always a good thing, so that makes sense as the best place to start.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Weight is less important than BMI, (Body Mass Index). BMI is a measurement of body fat as a percentage.

If you're looking to be more visually attractive it will likely require intense exercising. And exercising can change body composition.

To avoid frustration with scales and lbs. (which can vary with salt intake etc.) I'd suggest a good scale with BMI measurement. That way you know how much fat there is/can decide how much more to take off as you watch your progress.
    Um, BMI is an estimation of your body fat percentage based on weight and height, so really the only thing you'd be monitoring if you focused on that IS weight. Also, you don't need a scale that calculates BMI...all you need is a scale that measures weight, and then you can plug that into any of the thousands of free BMI calculators on the internet (or, better yet, learn the formula and make your own in Excel or something simple.)

There are ways to measure body fat percentage independent of weight, but BMI is not one of them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTx

You don't look over weight.

Stop making these kinds of threads.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    You don't look over weight.

Stop making these kinds of threads.
    Qft.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug