• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So how much weight do you think I need to lose?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Weight is less important than BMI, (Body Mass Index). BMI is a measurement of body fat as a percentage.

If you're looking to be more visually attractive it will likely require intense exercising. And exercising can change body composition.

To avoid frustration with scales and lbs. (which can vary with salt intake etc.) I'd suggest a good scale with BMI measurement. That way you know how much fat there is/can decide how much more to take off as you watch your progress.

BMI is a measurement body mass not body fat. BMI is also inaccurate, you need to look at body fat percentage.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BMI is a measurement body mass not body fat. BMI is also inaccurate, you need to look at body fat percentage.

Well there are several ways to assess bodyfat.

So if you want to get more or need to get super-accurate for some reason, you could use a number of available methods to determine bodyfat. But with added costs. So if you want to spend money, some are:

Scale - no bodyfat measurement but most already have one. Added cost $0.00

BMI Scale - provides better idea of bodyfat but doesn't account for muscle mass. Takes height & weight into account. Cost less than $40.

Water Displacement Test - highly accurate (+/- 1.5%). Requires professionals trained to use special equipment. Repeat visits to facilities that perform these evaluations get costly.

Bod Pod- utilizes air displacement technique. Patient gets in a sealed atmospheric chamber. Accurate but costly around $45/visit.

Skin Pull method. Calipers are used to pull skin and measure its thicknesses at 6 to 9 locations. Two are needed to do it. You could probably ask a friend to do the back/arm measurements, and learn the test and evaluate the results.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still say you're doing this shit for the wrong reasons U. I would say use an calorie calculator to find your daily caloric needs and a bmi calculator to get yourself into a healthy body fat percentage for your height. You also have to take into account your unique body composition. I imagine if you worked out more you would tend more towards a muscular build than a leaner one so you could afford to be in a slightly higher range on BMI. As for being attractive, just maintain a level of fitness that gets a response from the women you find attractive. You have fairly high standards, so this means you may be shooting for an athletic build for yourself which in a man 10% body fat would be around that level.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ouch...play nice.

If I'm choosing between being nice and being truthful, I'll take truthful every time.

Chicks dig guys with confidence about their body and personality. Therapists can help with that.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I'm really out of shape enough to need a physical therapist. I can still move. Maybe a personal trainer, but not a physical therapist.

A psychotherapist. psychologist, counselor, psychiatrist, whatever. Someone who can help with your massive self-confidence issues which are far more off-putting to women than a non-perfect body.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I'm choosing between being nice and being truthful, I'll take truthful every time.

Chicks dig guys with confidence about their body and personality. Therapists can help with that.

Ohh. You want..for ladies?!
Dang..Why didn't you say so! I wrote all that stuff up there! Lol

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Where do you go about judging that he has self-confidence issues? Even if he does why do you keep telling him he needs to see a therapist. This is the second time I've seen you tell him to go see a therapist.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still say you're doing this shit for the wrong reasons U. I would say use an calorie calculator to find your daily caloric needs and a bmi calculator to get yourself into a healthy body fat percentage for your height. You also have to take into account your unique body composition. I imagine if you worked out more you would tend more towards a muscular build than a leaner one so you could afford to be in a slightly higher range on BMI. As for being attractive, just maintain a level of fitness that gets a response from the women you find attractive. You have fairly high standards, so this means you may be shooting for an athletic build for yourself which in a man 10% body fat would be around that level.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been working on building my muscle tone on the upper half of my body. My lower half was always stronger and it is muscular.

I don't know what makes my standards high -- I'm not looking for models or anything.

Not necessarily. As a people watcher, I see women almost exclusively paired up with a muscular build, which I am attempting to work on myself (I actually developed a habit) -- that is the key difference between this thread and the plastic surgery thread.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been working on building my muscle tone on the upper half of my body. My lower half was always stronger and it is muscular.

I don't know what makes my standards high -- I'm not looking for models or anything.

Not necessarily. As a people watcher, I see women almost exclusively paired up with a muscular build, which I am attempting to work on myself (I actually developed a habit) -- that is the key difference between this thread and the plastic surgery thread.

That's RIGHT, Man!!!! CRUSH IT at the gym!!! Be a FUCKING BEAST. Own it!! Make it a part of your lifestyle!! And if the girl goes away, keep your habits, be your own man!!

Circumstances and people come and go, so control you and live like you are a king!!!

:solidarity:

Girls want a man with a six-pack. Every other sort of message you hear from girls is just their insecurities speaking, so to speak. They LOVE IT! Who wouldn't..what girl wouldn't want that, given she's not insecure? Right-none.

You might have to install a revolving door in your house, with all the girls that will be coming through there, but that's a minor thing, considering. Then you can find a good one. :)

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

Really:huh:

I have lived in a few places around the world and...this isn't my experience at all. Maybe you live is very different.

I have no reason to lie about it...personally I am muscular...

but as a people watcher myself I would say women are much more inconsistent in what guys they find attractive, compared to us guys. I have regularly seen everything from skinny guys, to completely average guys, to athletes & bodybuilders, to out-of-shape but rich businessmen, with pretty girls.

Likewise, I've seen all kinds of reasonably good looking/good figure guys who can't get a girl because they lack confidence.

I'm not saying you shouldn't work out...I think you should...neither you should go to therapy as I don't buy into that...just sayin' it's not that direct of a relationship in my experience.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's RIGHT, Man!!!! CRUSH IT at the gym!!! Be a FUCKING BEAST. Own it!! Make it a part of your lifestyle!! And if the girl goes away, keep your habits, be your own man!!

Circumstances and people come and go, so control you and live like you are the king!!!

:solidarity:

You might have to install a revolving door in your house, with all the girls that will be coming through there, but that's a minor thing, considering.

Well, I won't go to the gym (don't like going in public places), I do push-ups in the comfort of my own home, which is practically bench pressing with numerous other benefits. Even though I'm not yet in shape, I'm noticing a difference, as my shoulders are now broader (or at least my mind is telling me that). But for whatever reason, I feel more attracted to myself.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but as a people watcher myself I would say women are much more inconsistent in what guys they find attractive, compared to us guys. I have regularly seen everything from skinny guys, to completely average guys, to athletes & bodybuilders, to out-of-shape but rich businessmen, with pretty girls.

How about out-of-shape non-rich people? What is it with people saying that appearance doesn't matter and yet at the same time being out-of-shape is a big no-no?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I won't go to the gym (don't like going in public places), I do push-ups in the comfort of my own home, which is practically bench pressing with numerous other benefits. Even though I'm not yet in shape, I'm noticing a difference, as my shoulders are now broader (or at least my mind is telling me that). But for whatever reason, I feel more attracted to myself.

Gym, house, good. You're on a Great Path!!

See it's working :D Feeling more attracted to yourself boosts your confidence! Get ready for some magic to happen! Good things are going to start happening :).

Keep pushing. Go about your day. Your life. You planned your work. Your worked your plan. The work will start bringing you the similar 'look' back. Aka ladies.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gym, house, good. You're on a Great Path!!

See it's working :D Feeling more attracted to yourself boosts your confidence! Get ready for some magic to happen! Good things are going to start happening :)

Not yet, I'm afraid.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
How about out-of-shape non-rich people?What is it with people saying that appearance doesn't matter and yet at the same time being out-of-shape is a big no-no?

Dude please..did I say appearance doesn't matter? give me some credit. I would have to be an idiot to say that.

You said you see girls - by which I guess you mean pretty girls - almost exclusively with muscular guys...I am just giving my 2 cents to say that isn't my experience.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

Circumstances and people come and go, so control you and live like you are a king!!!

QFT!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dude please..did I say appearance doesn't matter? give me some credit. I would have to be an idiot to say that.

You said you see girls - by which I guess you mean pretty girls - almost exclusively with muscular guys...I am just giving my 2 cents to say that isn't my experience.

True, you didn't. I apologize.

A lot of other people do, however.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
From what i've noticed girls want a guy with personality and confidence for the most part. THe body building thing is just a confidence booster for your own lack of self esteem.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what i've noticed girls want a guy with personality and confidence for the most part. THe body building thing is just a confidence booster for your own lack of self esteem.

What causes the confidence boost from body building?