• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"How much sugar in a can of cola?"

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sick.

I remember someone mentioning that a while ago, but it looks scarier in a video.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, about 8 teaspoons of sugar in one can.

You'd be damned to know how much salt is in canned food too. In a typical canned food, you are taking in 4/5 of a teaspoon of salt.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
My left butt is made of sugar. I got it as a replacement when I lost my real butt from a freak accident involving three cats and a can of tuna.

Permabanned
My left butt is made of sugar. I got it as a replacement when I lost my real butt from a freak accident involving three cats and a can of tuna.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"How much sugar in a can of cola?"

Exactly the right amount. :drool:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
already knew that. but coca cola in usa has high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener, which is way worse than regular refined cane sugar(used in some other countries, at least whole eu i think, because high fructose corn syrups import and use in foods is regulated in eu, cuz poison).

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lucky for me, I've never liked the stuff.

The sodium in canned foods-- and pretty much anything else except fresh food-- is astonishing.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why I drink hard liquor instead :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I drink hard liquor instead :)

lol, hard liquor is worse.

Alcohol has the same priority with medicine. You'd more likely go through alcohol before you go through the food you digest. Which means, you are more likely to be deficient in nutrition... the more you drink.

Or something to that effect.

Lucky for me, I've never liked the stuff.

It is too bad for me I still like those stuff :(, I've actually limited the amount of soda I drink drastically though. More water > Soda

Best case scenario is to replace soda with water little by little.

The sodium in canned foods-- and pretty much anything else except fresh food-- is astonishing.

They should really make it so that potassium is a mandatory label in the U.S. I would be happy to compare what kind of companies only use sodium. They may scream regulation all they wanted to, but I'd love to see Sodium and Potassium side by side on the label.

People would not believe how prevalent sodium is in most foods and even other products. I was comparing a lower sodium can of soup and a pack of bacon.
The can of soup: 24% DV of Sodium <----- it is no wonder my family like to douse the can with high amounts of water (even though it says to not dilute.)
3 pieces of bacon: 8% DV of Sodium (~4 servings for the package, 12 pieces of bacon)

I've started getting that nasty feeling thinking about how much salt is already in store bought food combined with the added salt people throw into their foods to make it taste good. :sick: I mean, this is COMPARING bacon to soup. Especially for a nation that seems to take in more than enough sodium but only close to half of what is needed when it comes to potassium.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
If eight teaspoons of sugar are in a can of soda, how much soda is in a can of Francium?

I think I hear about eight dump trucks worth.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Let's face it... basically all processed food is bad for you, especially when compared to non-processed alternatives. Way too much sugar and salt, yes - but also way too much of those 10+-syllable items for preservation, emulsification, binding, etc. And that's the stuff you buy in a grocery store. I stumbled upon this article the other day on the McRib and almost wanted to gag (sorry, any McRib aficionados, it's not my thing). But the thing is... processed food is designed to be cheap, easy, and fast ... and it is. That's why people eat it.

Saying that, even though I don't drink soda or eat fast food, I eat way too much bad stuff. These are my main weakness. And ice cream. Sigh. I'm thinking about starting a new diet in a couple of weeks (group at the gym's starting it together) that would basically eliminate processed foods, sugar, etc. It will be hard :p.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
In addition to the sugar, one of the most problematic things about drinking cola is the amount of other electrolytes it takes to neutralize the acidity (a byproduct of sugar) and to balance the sodium in pop leaches a lot of important minerals from the body, which most North Americans are already way short of. The effects do not show up for a long time, but will manifest in the form of many diseases and effects that we typically associate with aging (digestive issues, cancer, osteoporosis, greying hair, wrinkling skin, hardened arteries, heart disease, arthritis, candida/unsufficient good bacteria in the stomach to digest food, edema, varicose veins and so on), but which are more related to over-acidic pH in the body and nutritional deficiency. I'm speaking from my own personal experience and deeply regret my poor eating/drinking habits throughout my teens and twenties (insufficient vegetables, too much pop), which I'm paying for in needless health problems in my thirties. Drinking diet pop will not deal with the acidity issue (even though it uses synthetic sugar rather than real sugar) nor with the sodium issue (all carbonated drinks contain a lot of sodium).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In addition to the sugar, one of the most problematic things about drinking cola is the amount of other electrolytes it takes to neutralize the acidity (a byproduct of sugar) and to balance the sodium in pop leaches a lot of important minerals from the body, which most North Americans are already way short of. The effects do not show up for a long time, but will manifest in the form of many diseases and effects that we typically associate with aging (digestive issues, cancer, osteoporosis, greying hair, wrinkling skin, hardened arteries, heart disease, arthritis, candida/unsufficient good bacteria in the stomach to digest food, edema, varicose veins and so on), but which are more related to over-acidic pH in the body and nutritional deficiency. I'm speaking from my own personal experience and deeply regret my poor eating/drinking habits throughout my teens and twenties (insufficient vegetables, too much pop), which I'm paying for in needless health problems in my thirties. Drinking diet pop will not deal with the acidity issue (even though it uses synthetic sugar rather than real sugar) nor with the sodium issue (all carbonated drinks contain a lot of sodium).

Yup, safe to say that cola is really only something for special occasions. With that said, I really do need to drink less coffee, which I am sure isn't any healthier....