User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 23

  1. #11
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Make animal sounds in my car. Walk around the mall. Sleep. Get on type c.

  2. #12
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Something I’ve personally noticed (in retrospect, about myself) is that I refused to acknowledge a lot of the things that stressed me out in the past because I felt like they shouldn’t stress me out- as if figuring that out (coming to the conclusion they “shouldn’t” stress me out) would make the stress go away. But it doesn’t make the stress go away. Especially in situations where getting stressed sorta went against an ideal in my head about how people could act towards one another (and the ol’ saying “be the change you want to see in the world”), and if something seemed remotely petty I was having none of it- so if it was just embarrassing to be stressed out about it then the stress turned into anger at myself for not meeting my own expectations, I think. Instead of accepting there was some feeling of urgency in me to deal with a problem, I’d try to force myself to ‘let go’ of believing something needed to be fixed (and because it kept being a problem for me, it turned into a bigger and more generalized bad feeling).

    If I could go back, I’d point out that the judgment I consistently had about my own reactions was actually counterproductive. And I’d try to teach myself to hold off on that judgment long enough to honestly pinpoint exactly what’s making me feel stressed; no matter how whiny or petty, since I wouldn't have to tell anyone or act on it and the important thing is just to notice it- that opens a space to acknowledge even the most embarrassing of feelings in a way that is more honest with myself.
    Fuck, I still do this. Oh well.

    @SilkRoad, I know people have been telling you to exercise (since that's the advice everyone always gives), but I've found that it really doesn't permanently sooth anxiety. Especially going on walks or other low-impact types of cardio where your mind can drift about, it's bad because you can get into the same lacunae of anxious thought without much restraint. It's only when I do shit like exercise myself into the ground that I feel better, and that's only because I go from ultra-focused during exercise to being too tired to even think afterwards. Sort of like having someone knock you in the head a couple of times to stun you into a stupor...it works for a second, but then it goes away once you recover.

    Although, I guess it could be that NOT exercising makes things worse. I don't know.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  3. #13
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    @SilkRoad, I know people have been telling you to exercise (since that's the advice everyone always gives), but I've found that it really doesn't permanently sooth anxiety. Especially going on walks or other low-impact types of cardio where your mind can drift about,
    Everyone gives it because is the single most effective way of dealing with stress and anxiety. It's rated higher than anti-depressant, for example. You have to have an elevated heart rate - not just walking, but jogging or running. The impact isn't immediate (ie: become stressed, go running), it just allows your body to deal with stress better. Kind of like sex, actually.

  4. #14
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Fuck, I still do this. Oh well.
    Oh I still get hooked too. I'm just saying that's my own personal "if I could go back 10 years and tell myself something"- or at least it's one of the top 5.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  5. #15
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Something I’ve personally noticed (in retrospect, about myself) is that I refused to acknowledge a lot of the things that stressed me out in the past because I felt like they shouldn’t stress me out- as if figuring that out (coming to the conclusion they “shouldn’t” stress me out) would make the stress go away. But it doesn’t make the stress go away. Especially in situations where getting stressed sorta went against an ideal in my head about how people could act towards one another (and the ol’ saying “be the change you want to see in the world”), and if something seemed remotely petty I was having none of it- so if it was just embarrassing to be stressed out about it then the stress turned into anger at myself for not meeting my own expectations, I think. Instead of accepting there was some feeling of urgency in me to deal with a problem, I’d try to force myself to ‘let go’ of believing something needed to be fixed (and because it kept being a problem for me, it turned into a bigger and more generalized bad feeling).

    If I could go back, I’d point out that the judgment I consistently had about my own reactions was actually counterproductive. And I’d try to teach myself to hold off on that judgment long enough to honestly pinpoint exactly what’s making me feel stressed; no matter how whiny or petty, since I wouldn't have to tell anyone or act on it and the important thing is just to notice it- that opens a space to acknowledge even the most embarrassing of feelings in a way that is more honest with myself.
    Yeah. Judging yourself like that gets nowhere fast.

    I remember I had a pretty big split personality at one time. Aspects that I would not let myself be for various reasons had split off into compartmentalized fragments, that I'd switch into and act out - some times not even remembering that I did it.

    When I learned to stop judging these parts, and acknowledged that they were there, and even allowed them to release their grievances in a relatively safe manner, there stopped being a split and they integrated.

  6. #16

    Default

    @SilkRoad - There is very little I can add to the excellent advice already here. Just a couple thoughts -

    1. I believe it was mentioned that exercise has been proven to be more effective than anti-depressants for long-term relief of depression.

    2. Yoga has been proven to reduce the physical markers of stress. Stress alters our blood and genes which triggers diseases. I am living with a stress-related autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis) that I will have the rest of my life. I am fortunate that I am responding very well to the medications as 50% of people with RA are unable to work within 10 years of diagnosis. It is HUGELY important to reduce those markers in your body. Yoga is amazing. I love it. If you just want to do it at home, go to YouTube and look for Dr. Melissa West. She has over 150 full-length classes online and puts out a new class every week.

    3. Meditation has also been proven to reduce stress and improve your physical health. I had to find a stress relieving replacement when I quit smoking 2 1/2 months ago. Meditation and yoga have worked very well. I have noticed that I am not as depressed, I think more clearly and can handle the day-to-day stressors much better.

    Hope this is helpful to you.
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

  7. #17
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Many people who do excellent performance on a job feel stressed. I've been prone to stress at some times and I feel the stress is like an animal. Predicatable at times, irrational at times. I find comfort in recognizing the times when I should be stressed about something and when not. In the first situation, I get up and do something. In the latter situation, I can just shrug it off with the good old "it's just my brains doing crap things to me" mentality.

    It doesn't always work so well tho. Same as with seasonal affective disorder (SAD). I know my feelings are out of place, but I feel them nevertheless. If I'm not sure what causes some feeling, I'm less likely to overreact to it when I know the feeling isn't valid; I become conservative over the feeling and tend to downplay it's effect. OTOH, when I know my feelings are "valid", I tend to follow them more closely. I think this approach helps me. I'm not sure if it would help you, but I'd hope so.

  8. #18
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better at the moment. I'm working on more exercise, less caffeine etc. I think less caffeine has already made me feel a bit better. When i was a bit younger I didn't drink much coffee because sometimes it upset my stomach. In recent years I had concluded it no longer had that effect on me. But having concluded caffeine no longer affects me I've been drinking far too much and just feeling both strung out and lethargic at the same time - also concluding that this is just my "normal" big city life feeling. Which I don't think it is.

    Anyway, any more thoughts are still appreciated. Thanks,
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #19
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Torch the fattest bowl my bong can handle in one hit.

  10. #20
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Torch the fattest bowl my bong can handle in one hit.
    Yeah, not one of my chosen options...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

Similar Threads

  1. Do you feel you're not up to your type?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO