• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paleo-diet

Lark

Anyone tried this? Is it even a good idea? I mean I can get the idea of a more natural diet and less processed foods but the substitutions of some sorts of almond flour for regular flour or coconut oil for butter make me wonder if it is only a matter of complicating eating and making it a chore

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did it for a while. Healthy food. Fruits, vegetables. Cave man diet. Can't be bad for you. It worked really well but I couldn't keep it up though. Like Pizza and stuff like that to much.

Lark

I did it for a while. Healthy food. Fruits, vegetables. Cave man diet. Can't be bad for you. It worked really well but I couldn't keep it up though. Like Pizza and stuff like that to much.

Which has been my experience too pretty much, plus a lot of health professionals insisting that I should eat carbs and that paleo is bad for you.

I've been looking into something called a bullet proof coffee as a morning kick.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Paleo is not bad for you. It just has a bad reputation because of the name and the false belief that it's a good diet because it's how our ancestors ate and so we should too.

Paleo is all about eating high quality meats (grown without hormones and antibiotics, and grass-fed), high quality fish, a plethora of vegetables and fruits, eggs, seeds/nuts, and healthy fats. It's about cutting crap out and focusing on nutrient dense foods. Some people cling to their relationship with grains, but it's not a necessary part of our diet and many of the proteins in grains are problematic because it takes longer for our bodies to break them down comparatively, and this can lead to immune responses in the gut because the body wants simple amino acids and can get a bit dysfunctional and "angry" when exposed to too many proteins which haven't had time to break down. Because the gut is the entrance to our body and comprises approximately 70% of our immune system, as well as hosting a complex microbiota which basically commands us via the gut-brain axis, it is imperative to keep our guts healthy and inflammation free.

This is why so many people with autoimmune disorders attempt Paleo or similar diets. It's important to note that restricting too many foods in an effort to reduce autoimmune response in the gut can lead to reduced food tolerance. This happens because the disease process still exists in the body despite limiting diet, and this hyperactivity of the gut can result in attack on more simple amino acids in other foods, such as vegetables. For this reason, extremely restricted diets, such as the AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet which restricts much more than the Paleo diet should not be continued for more than 6-weeks and should be used more as a quick fix for severe gut inflammation/autoimmune disorders. Furthermore, diets such as these should be looked at as lifestyles rather than restrictions and should be paired with exercise and mindfulness, thereby treating the body as the complex interconnected entity it is.

End nerd speech.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've been looking into something called a bullet proof coffee as a morning kick.

Man, that's what the Tibetans have been doing for probably hundreds of years with yak butter. But the paleo diet or low carbing, in general, isn't bad for you at all. Especially since you already have a metabolic issue with diabetes - restricting carbs and processed food is necessary.

Lark

Man, that's what the Tibetans have been doing for probably hundreds of years with yak butter. But the paleo diet or low carbing, in general, isn't bad for you at all. Especially since you already have a metabolic issue with diabetes - restricting carbs and processed food is necessary.

Yeah, I know right? I definitely know from the way I physically feel that paleo is good, that no carbs is good, but the medical professionals always come back to this lousey balanced diet wheel which has a piece of everything in it and the recommendation that I eat carbs.

Just dont get it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah, I know right? I definitely know from the way I physically feel that paleo is good, that no carbs is good, but the medical professionals always come back to this lousey balanced diet wheel which has a piece of everything in it and the recommendation that I eat carbs.

Just dont get it.

Really? You don't see a nutritionist to help you with a diabetic or pre-diabetic diet? I can only go by what they do with my dad who has been pre-diabetic for years and is just needing meds now. It's not no carbs but right carbs. Whole wheats, legumes (chickpea and lentil), sweet potato, Greek yogurt, bulgur, oatmeal, berries and vegetables like squash. You can get low carb pasta online and low glycemic white rice.

Something like this wheel is more in line for a diabetic.

356D68F100000578-3648125-image-a-12_1466259308875.jpg

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Like most diets, it's fine as long as long as you really do it.

Most don't. You get a bunch of hipster/foodies who pretend to do it but don't have the will power to actually give up food they like so they make " paleo cakes" and " gluten free-bread." Doesn't count.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Like most diets, it's fine as long as long as you really do it.

Most don't. You get a bunch of hipster/foodies who pretend to do it but don't have the will power to actually give up food they like so they make " paleo cakes" and " gluten free-bread." Doesn't count.

I don't understanding people doing gluten-free if they haven't tested gluten intolerant, sensitive or have Celiac disease. That diet sucks balls, unless you need it to be pain and inflammation free to keep the gut healed. I've had several paleo frozen entries though - they're quite good when you need something fast.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't understanding people doing gluten-free if they haven't tested gluten intolerant, sensitive or have Celiac disease. That diet sucks balls, unless you need it to be pain and inflammation free to keep the gut healed. I've had several paleo frozen entries though - they're quite good when you need something fast.

I've never been tested for gluten intolerance but I'm currently doing a round of Whole 30, a paleoish elimination diet. At the end of the 30 days you slowly reintroduce foods to see how you feel eating them. I already know I'm sensitive to dairy, and if it turns out I"m sensitive to wheat to I'll probably eat loosely gluten free afterwards. There's really not a great way to test for food sensitivities, meaning it's not an actual allergy but it just makes you feel like crap.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
With a diet you do, I would always do it not to strict. If you want to loose pounds, the most important thing is only to eat under your daily calories limit, like 200-300 kcal less. If you are obesly overweight, you will automatically eat almost 2000 and more less, if you do that.

All unprocessed food, what is basically paleo is good for you. But its not important to never eat pizza again. Its only always important to keep your sugar intake in check. In Germany we have a very old bakery tradition and people eat like tons of crap baked goods all day. Many of them suffer from diabetes later. I basically untrained that habit in my regards. I quit eating sweets and quit drinking sweets and after a few months, my cravings for it seized to exist. Its like an addiction the body has to get out of.

Now if you eat a steak, potatoes, some vegetables, your cereals in the morning and some fruits with quark in the evening, you live the healthy life. A burger or pizza a week wont kill you. The problem with fast food at all, is only bad fats that are produced while its being made in unhealthy kitchens. And that your food becomes to one-sided, lacking minerals and vitamines.

I dieted that way from 286 lbs to 209 lbs right now, in about a year, 5"10. Have a pretty good fat free mass index now at around 24, still some pretty resilient fat handles left covering the muscles. I am a bit fucked in that regards, if I would even eat lesser, I'ld need to train a lot to keep muscle mass, but on low food I lack ambition plus I lack time due to the job. So I eat pretty much and train 1-2 times a week. That way I kept the 209 constant for two years. 194 lbs would be my dream goal :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
My personal preference in men is fit with a little layer of fat over top. I don't mind a small belly or love handles one bit, but he has to let me grab it all.

I digress.