User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Vaccinating your pets

I've decided not to vaccinate my cat simply because he is an indoor cat and some of the properties/chemicals in these vaccinations are shown to be harmful. Does anyone here give anual vaccinations to their pets? if so why or why not?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I vaccinate. Even when my cats were indoors, I did. The vaccinations for an indoor cat include (at least over here, it depends on which diseases are common in our country) one against what we call cat's disease as it does not even require contact with other cats; the owner can drag the bug with him in the house and get his cat sick that way...and it is a painful and lethal bug with over 60 percent chance of fatality. Alongside with that is the vaccination of Feline Influenza. Over 90 percent of the cat population has a virus which causes this condition as it is transferred by sneezing and therefore extremely contagious. The vaccination keeps the culprits (herpes and Calici for the most part) in check (as most cats have the virus anyways and it breaks through during moments of stress) and also prevents Chlamydia I believe.

For outdoor cats, a vaccination against Feline Leukemia is recommended as it is a devastating colony killer amongst feral cats and is transferred through bodily fluids. FIV is another such killer (as is FeLV, though that is more rare) but unfortunately neither can be vaccinated against effectively. The bitch with cat virusses is that they are sleeper viruses (it is theorized this is due to the solitary nature of the species), which means they remain dormant in a cat for ages, till the right time is to break free.

I know which vaccines are administered to dogs and rabbits but know less as to the risk of not doing so, so I'll refrain from commenting on that.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned

I've vaccinated my cat when I first got him and after that he seems to be fine. My vet told me that his vaccinations are overdue but after looking at some sources his kitten vaccinations are the most important to get for indoor cats.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

True, as their immune system when they are a kitten isnt exactly that solid yet. If the mother was vaccinated then she provides coverage till the age of 9weeks, otherwise the first vaccinations are at 6weeks (and that one is 'Cats disease' as it is so lethal and sneaky).

It is your cat. My in laws have an outdoor cat who is 16 and has never been vaccinated (in fact, we are remedying that this winter as old cats have the same issue as kittens...crappy immune systems). You can definitely get lucky. Or you can play it safe. At least for the diseases that you can actually vaccinate for.

I also have one that was a rescue (she and her brother were pretty much dead by the time they got to me at 4 weeks due to Feline Influenza) and her immune system is just shite. She has both Calici AND Herpes, so when she stresses, she excretes the virus and can easily get other infections. Her vaccination keeps it somewhat under wraps (as long as she isnt chronically stressed), and the other cats get vaccinated as they live with her. Most of them are also rescues so they have one of those two viruses anyways.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Rabies is much less harmful than mysterious "chemicals" in vaccines, definitely.

Even indoor cats can be exposed to the really, really nasty things that vaccinations prevent by catching things like mice and bats that venture (or live) inside, or by the cat getting out, or by another cat sneaking in, etc etc etc. My cat's behind on her vaccinations by far too long (years), but I'm not under any delusions that this is a responsible or health-promoting thing for me to do....
    -end of thread-

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    True, as their immune system when they are a kitten isnt exactly that solid yet. If the mother was vaccinated then she provides coverage till the age of 9weeks, otherwise the first vaccinations are at 6weeks (and that one is 'Cats disease' as it is so lethal and sneaky).

It is your cat. My in laws have an outdoor cat who is 16 and has never been vaccinated (in fact, we are remedying that this winter as old cats have the same issue as kittens...crappy immune systems). You can definitely get lucky. Or you can play it safe. At least for the diseases that you can actually vaccinate for.

I also have one that was a rescue (she and her brother were pretty much dead by the time they got to me at 4 weeks due to Feline Influenza) and her immune system is just shite. She has both Calici AND Herpes, so when she stresses, she excretes the virus and can easily get other infections. Her vaccination keeps it somewhat under wraps (as long as she isnt chronically stressed), and the other cats get vaccinated as they live with her. Most of them are also rescues so they have one of those two viruses anyways.
    I thinking of vaccinating him in a few years he is about 7 years old now so at about 10 it should prepare him a bit better for old age. I just don't believe in annual vaccinations my cat has lasted 6 years without getting sick. He recently got a lipoma removed on his lower back which the vet assured to me was harmless.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Rabies is much less harmful than mysterious "chemicals" in vaccines, definitely.

Even indoor cats can be exposed to the really, really nasty things that vaccinations prevent by catching things like mice and bats that venture (or live) inside, or by the cat getting out, or by another cat sneaking in, etc etc etc. My cat's behind on her vaccinations by far too long (years), but I'm not under any delusions that this is a responsible or health-promoting thing for me to do....
    My cat is indoor or else I would of gave him a rabies shot, I doubt many houses have mice or bats in them to begin with maybe mice if you live near the city. Chemicals can be bad for you, especially for animals.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

It is once a year though and ensures the safety of your animal. They are preventative (though the influenza one can act as a containment as well), for a reason.

When I was growing up, my mom didnt have the money to vaccinate our cats. Granted, they went outside, but we did lose one or two due to FelV (Feline Leukemia) from what I recall. We got lucky for the most part. It does depend on where you live, yes.

I guess Im just biased. Being a veterinarian assistant tends to show you the grim side of things. Which also means I see the bigger picture more clearly perhaps. Vaccinations can help us eradicate some of these diseases, keep them more in check, for the general population in a way. Especially Feline Influenza can use that kind of approach since it is so contagious. And the reason Cat's Disease isn't as rampant anymore is due to vaccination. I remember we had a shelter here suffer a scandal where suddenly all the cats started dropping dead, and they could not figure it out. It was Cat's disease that had wiped them all out, yet they all had been vaccinated.

Turns out that they had forgotten to *re-vaccinate* the animals. And with Cat's disease, it only takes one sick animal or even just a caretaker who drags the bug in on his shoes.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    It is once a year though and ensures the safety of your animal. They are preventative (though the influenza one can act as a containment as well), for a reason.

When I was growing up, my mom didnt have the money to vaccinate our cats. Granted, they went outside, but we did lose one or two due to FelV (Feline Leukemia) from what I recall. We got lucky for the most part. It does depend on where you live, yes.

I guess Im just biased. Being a veterinarian assistant tends to show you the grim side of things. Which also means I see the bigger picture more clearly perhaps. Vaccinations can help us eradicate some of these diseases, keep them more in check, for the general population in a way. Especially Feline Influenza can use that kind of approach since it is so contagious. And the reason Cat's Disease isn't as rampant anymore is due to vaccination. I remember we had a shelter here suffer a scandal where suddenly all the cats started dropping dead, and they could not figure it out. It was Cat's disease that had wiped them all out, yet they all had been vaccinated.

Turns out that they had forgotten to *re-vaccinate* the animals. And with Cat's disease, it only takes one sick animal or even just a caretaker who drags the bug in on his shoes.
    What is the specific name for "cats disease" you are referring to?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

It IS called Cats disease in my maternal tongue

Best guess: feline panleukopenia says google (dutch: Kattenziekte)
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★