User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think being a biphasic sleeper is probably contributing significantly to your problem. Get 9 hours straight every night for a week and then see if there's any difference.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think being a biphasic sleeper is probably contributing significantly to your problem. Get 9 hours straight every night for a week and then see if there's any difference.

D:

I agree, I've thought that as well. I can sleep for that long straight, but it will not alleviate my desire to nap later into the day. Believe it or not, it will cause me to go back to bed sooner... Actually, that reminds me, Oakysage once had the thought of drinking a cup of coffee right before napping, in hopes I suppose that the caffeine will stimulate the mind before any deeper stages of sleep can be developed. Perhaps that will assist my elimination of polyphasic sleeping. A cup, right before napping..... hm. Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I'd somewhat thought that, but I've been told when donating plasma my iron content is almost above the upper range of what they will allow. Perhaps the two are non-correlative? I should get that checked.
    It could be many things. Hypothyroid, apnea, anemia, or something else. If you want to tinker with different variables yourself, couldn't see the harm to that. However, if you feel it's impairing your life, I'd recommend seeing a medical professional.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    It could be many things. Hypothyroid, apnea, anemia, or something else. If you want to tinker with different variables yourself, couldn't see the harm to that. However, if you feel it's impairing your life, I'd recommend seeing a medical professional.
    Yeah. Awhile back I had an endocrine panel. It checked TSH, T3, T4, testosterone, and a few other things I can't remember. I'm on Synthroid.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

D:

I agree, I've thought that as well. I can sleep for that long straight, but it will not alleviate my desire to nap later into the day. Believe it or not, it will cause me to go back to bed sooner... Actually, that reminds me, Oakysage once had the thought of drinking a cup of coffee right before napping, in hopes I suppose that the caffeine will stimulate the mind before any deeper stages of sleep can be developed. Perhaps that will assist my elimination of polyphasic sleeping. A cup, right before napping..... hm. Thank you for your input.
    Your claims about what the outcomes are, so far as we have evidence for, are only true in your broken, biphasic system. I'm saying you need to commit to systemic change for a week and gather data if you want to solve your problem.

This transition period into sleeping as a monophaser for a week is near-guaranteed to show poor outcomes of the kinds you've already described, but you can't figure out your issue without first transitioning into monophasic sleep.

If you don't go through a transitory period in order to see what happens when you sleep as a monophaser for a week, then you don't really want to solve your problem, it means you're quite comfortable with the "bad sleeper" identity. Which is fine and all, but then don't pretend you want to solve it.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Your claims about what the outcomes are, so far as we have evidence for, are only true in your broken, biphasic system. I'm saying you need to commit to systemic change for a week and gather data if you want to solve your problem.

This transition period into sleeping as a monophaser for a week is near-guaranteed to show poor outcomes of the kinds you've already described, but you can't figure out your issue without first transitioning into monophasic sleep.

If you don't go through a transitory period in order to see what happens when you sleep as a monophaser for a week, then you don't really want to solve your problem, it means you're quite comfortable with the "bad sleeper" identity. Which is fine and all, but then don't pretend you want to solve it.

I see. I shall attempt, in the coming week, to measure the time of my 'long' sleep, and extend it to what I would normally get in a full day. The hard part will be not napping D: lol. I'll maybe update this thread with my findings.

MBTI
    ISTP

Ah, like I said, I can sleep anywhere anytime, lol. Thank you for the information.
    Randominity is correct, and this is one of the things you should look into before you start looking to medicate. It's not about the length or ability to sleep, but the type of sleep you are getting.

Assuming your age is correct (mid-20's), things you can try right now;

1) Set a regular sleep time and wake up time, never nap, never deviate from the sleep routine.
    2) Cut out caffeine (namely). If you cannot, leave as much time as you can between consuming and sleeping.
    3) In general, don't drink. Drinking a couple of hours before bed will cause issues. There are lots of other drugs that can be mentioned here, but this is common and highly disruptive.
    4) Excersize - I note that you are physically active, but make sure you get ~30 min (~20min minimum extertion time) where you have an elevated heart rate.

The generic advice is to sleep in the same place and no where else, and don't do anything else where you sleep. It would probably help, assuming you do all the other stuff.

Also, check your environment. Is there a pattern to becoming sleepy? At home, indoors, etc? If you are getting sleepy outside on sunny days, chances are it has to do with the sleep you are already getting; if you never get sleepy, it could be your cues that aren't quite right (like blue light, etc.). A schedule will help either way, probably, but you'll probably need the sleep clinic to see what is "wrong" with your existing sleep.

---

Seeing a doctor after this would likely get you passed through to medication (assuming a lack of depression, stress and so forth). A good doctor wouldn't jump to medicating sleep issues (presuming you don't have a family doctor you have talked with about this before).

---

I didn't realise you are a biphasic sleeper.

1) You cannot nap. Ever.

2) You will never feel fully rested as a biphasic sleeper; it's not that it can't work, but it is never equivalent.

The same comments I made above apply , however there is very little point to a sleep clinic or a solid doctor: in both cases, the answer is to return to a normal sleep pattern.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I suggest avoiding carb rich foods for a while.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Only because you mentioned having high iron: Hemochromatosis
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers