User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I can only think of one time someone said I was getting too thin, and he was being facetious. There were times when I got mocked by other kids for being fat. And my last name. And a variety of other stuff.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Especially when I was younger I used to receive a lot of comments that I'm too skinny and should eat more. I was very shy so I just smiled. Now when I get this, I usually ask "Eat what?" since that's mostly relatives. It is annoying indeed. Ironically, the relatives who do this aren't fat. If that was someone who's fat, instead I would get a little nasty with him... But I bet an observer would think that I'm a bad guy for telling him to eat less and he's a good guy for telling me to eat more.

That's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I hate how it's considered unacceptable to fat shame but it's usually perfectly okay to make derogatory remarks about thinner girls such as, "Men aren't attracted to twigs," or, "Eat a sandwich sometime."
    It's unacceptable to fat shame? Seriously? Have you ever read a forum having anything to do with weight? Because based on the predominantly heinous things people say, it doesn't seem "unacceptable" to shame those who are not super thin...

I subscribe to the STFU & MYOFB concept @Ivy posted. No one needs to be shamed for their body. That helps no one. Too fat or too thin, being ashamed doesn't lead to better outcomes. How well do people care for things they're ashamed of? People should love their bodies so they will show them the greatest possible care. IMO.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I used to get that a fair bit when I was younger. I don't know why it didn't bother me. Usually everything bothers me. Now it's going to bother me that I don't know why it didn't bother me -- I'm about as thin-skinned as they come. It's not that I am without vanity. I like to look nice or at least not look bad. I guess maybe I never felt like I looked bad and the intent of the commenters did not feel malicious, just . . . well, like a kid that hasn't learned manners yet more than anything. Like if somebody stepped on my toe in a crowd but never realized they had done it. Kind of blundery or something. I've been hurt a lot worse by people insulting my character, intelligence, or socio-eco status, etc. Body is just brain transport device that people are inexplicably obsessed with.

My mom, OTOH, *hated* the comments. She is 5'6" and was under 100 lbs, if I remember correctly. She used to wear multiple outfits at a time so that she wouldn't look so thin . It makes me angry to think about it because she was straight up beautiful and yet has always felt very insecure about her appearance.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    It's unacceptable to fat shame? Seriously? Have you ever read a forum having anything to do with weight? Because based on the predominantly heinous things people say, it doesn't seem "unacceptable" to shame those who are not super thin...

I subscribe to the STFU & MYOFB concept @Ivy posted. No one needs to be shamed for their body. That helps no one. Too fat or too thin, being ashamed doesn't lead to better outcomes. How well do people care for things they're ashamed of? People should love their bodies so they will show them the greatest possible care. IMO.
    I mean outside of the Internet. You can't exactly tell someone they're fat and need to lose weight without being rebuked. I agree with you completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I mean outside of the Internet. You can't exactly tell someone they're fat and need to lose weight without being rebuked. I agree with you completely.
    yes, I would agree with that. With that caveat, there is a double standard toward very skinny people, women in particular.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Ah I just re-read what I put. I meant to specify those close to me. Not any old people.

And in my own subjective judgement the person has to be really, really ill in that condition and it has to affect their life quite severely to get any response from me. The thing is I dont like people pussy-footing around with those who have REAL weight issues.

It's only fairly recently ive started thinking like this as well, I used to subscribe to the 'mind your own business' side, but that sometimes does more damage than good. But once again I will remind that this is only those of great closeness to me. Also this is not a case of walking in and going "oi you...you're too fat, get on that treadmill" it's more a case of actually seeing if they want to help themselves first and sitting down to talk with them and try to understand their side of this.

If anything, though, im still too passive with most people. I apologise anyhow, because I was in a bit of a rush and didn't really think that post through.
    As a fatty, I can tell you you're not telling your fat (or thin) loved ones anything they don't already know, and if comments and offers of "help" really helped it would have worked one of the first 1000 times they heard it from everyone else. IMO it's best just not to comment on people's bodies at all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    It was me.

You made me - the person who repped you - sound like a real A-hole.

I also said you looked beautiful and that I liked what you've done with your hair - curls I believe.

Dammit woman I like that picture. Don't be a prude. Upload it back.
    wasn't you.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As a fatty, I can tell you you're not telling your fat (or thin) loved ones anything they don't already know, and if comments and offers of "help" really helped it would have worked one of the first 1000 times they heard it from everyone else. IMO it's best just not to comment on people's bodies at all.
    I think you are assuming too much and projecting a dislike of pressurising busy-bodies onto me.

On the other hand, my original post does make me seem like a pressurising busy-body....
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Oh here's an idea, I could just reply "You're too fat and you need to eat less."
    Good point.

But are they right? Why would they be saying that?