• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fasting for health?

Lark

Fasting for three to four days once a month for life?

What do you think? I dont think that I can do this, since I have type two diabetes, although I think that I could do this without real difficulty. I've been able to adopt a pretty rigourous diet in contrast to what I was eating and drinking before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I know that on the day that I got the news I vowed not to drink anything but water and restrict my coffee intake to three cups a day. I did it without difficulty (I would have drank about ten to fifthteen cups of coffee a day and drank soft drinks, diet coke mainly, constantly and hardly drank water).

My fitness is going to be concentrated upon actual fitness training and exercise because I like that, although I know also that you could be in appearence lean muscled or athletic but have internal problems which are not visible as a result of diet and eating habits, enough to consider stuff like this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Everyone's got their gimmick that works for them that pushed them from unhealthy to healthy. For me, so far, my gimmicks are workout DVDs, running outside and then walking after, oatmeal, and green smoothies. I've never considered fasting, and although I sort of did just that (liquid only diet for 2 1/2 days very recently) and had no issues with it at all, I would still at least tell your doctor of your intentions so that they have a heads up just in case. I'd also commit to it entirely, at least for a year, to see if it is something you will resent along the way and end up really disliking. My immediate thought is to steer people away from anything resembling resentful crash-style diets since people struggling to find a weight loss routine tend to gravitate towards quick fixes instead of finding long term solutions that work for them. But! I don't know your habits, and you seem quite sold on the idea.

I watched a program on Netflix that sold me on green smoothies (the program had nothing to do with smoothies.. it was juicing.. but I digress) and it turned out to be a wonderful solution to the problems I was having (getting parents to eat an assortment of veggies, consuming enough veggies in a day, etc.) with some adjustments.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I didn't watch the video, but I don't think fasting for 3-4 days sounds like a good idea. Especially not with diabetes! Better just to eat healthily on a regular basis and keep up a good exercise regimen (both of which I need to get back into...).

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Fasting is so hard for me.. I'm actually attempting one right now. Kind of like a ritual.

Not sure how long I'll last.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i fast for about 3 consecutive weeks each year: no food or water from sunrise to sundown.

i find that (after the initial period of wild longing for food) i am highly focused, productive and energetic. i gain so much time back during the day; time spent preparing/waiting for food, consuming it, recovering after eating it. :D i am always the first at work and usually accomplish more by noon than i do during the entire day, during non-fasting periods.

i have been doing this for about 10 years now. and i don't just jump into it; i mentally prepare myself leading up to my fast. during, i rise before sunset and eat very nourishing food and drink a LOT of water. a fast trains my mind and body in a very unique way—they seem most in harmony during a fast.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to fast for spiritual/religious reasons. I don't do it anymore because it triggers biliary colic attacks. I do remember that it put me in a different frame of my mind. Sharpened my awareness in strange ways. I had to approach a certain way in order for it to work, too. It's hard to explain.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Fasting for three to four days once a month for life?

What do you think? I dont think that I can do this, since I have type two diabetes, although I think that I could do this without real difficulty. I've been able to adopt a pretty rigourous diet in contrast to what I was eating and drinking before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I know that on the day that I got the news I vowed not to drink anything but water and restrict my coffee intake to three cups a day. I did it without difficulty (I would have drank about ten to fifthteen cups of coffee a day and drank soft drinks, diet coke mainly, constantly and hardly drank water).

My fitness is going to be concentrated upon actual fitness training and exercise because I like that, although I know also that you could be in appearence lean muscled or athletic but have internal problems which are not visible as a result of diet and eating habits, enough to consider stuff like this.

This is the second post of yours that I have read that mentions Type II diabetes. I would really get with a nutritionist before fasting. Some diabetics can and some can't and definitely your endocrinologist about your foot issues.

Lark

This is the second post of yours that I have read that mentions Type II diabetes. I would really get with a nutritionist before fasting. Some diabetics can and some can't and definitely your endocrinologist about your foot issues.

I have type two ceecee so that's part of the reason its an interest and I mention it, I wouldnt do any of these things without seeking professional advice first but I like to post them as talking points. I dont assume you guys are all Drs or anything :laugh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Fasting is very good for the health as it gives the stomach rest to do refresh because it is the reason of the good and the bad health. So, fasting is good for the health.

Excellent point. :dry:

Montgomery456

Some people do fasting for the weight control purpose and they get success in their purpose through fasting.
Fasting helps to burn the fat and also control the cholesterol level which in return reduce the excessive body weight.

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
I used to fast for spiritual/religious reasons. I don't do it anymore because it triggers biliary colic attacks. I do remember that it put me in a different frame of my mind. Sharpened my awareness in strange ways. I had to approach a certain way in order for it to work, too. It's hard to explain.

Yes me too. The religion I grew up in, we would fast once a month for 24 hours, give the money you would have spent on food to the poor. Although I never experienced sharpened awareness. Just cranky or sad, weak, exhausted. Other people mentioned a heightened spiritual sensitivity, but I did not experience anything like that ever.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Fasting has dire consequences on the endocrine system and I'm not sure if it has to be encouraged that lightly.