• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Supplements

Lark

I'm taking Omega 3 at the moment, a multivitamin which I've stopped taking, and I've got some chromium and cinnamon extract on order because I've read about Holford's recommendation of those suppliments along with a low GL diet for controlling type two diabetes and reversing the dependency on meds like mitformin (spelling).

What suppliments do you use or recommend and for what? I see people drinking different sorts of shake or suppliments at the gym and wonder what all that is about apart from making them do disgusting giant dumps in the toilets before I go to use them.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Chromium is really good at controlling sugar cravings, if you're having to cut out sugars from your diet i highly recommend it to help.

Otherwise, in terms of shakes/supplements that people are taking at the gym, it depends on what you're using them for as to what to take.

Jaguar

If by chance you're thinking of using metformin, there's a tendency for it to deplete B-12 in the body.
Just Google: Metformin B12

wolfy

awsm
Protein, I like Gaspari. Some kind of multi and fish oil. Creatine is good for training, and I like pre workout supps, but they are just personal likes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Fish oils, men's multi by Optimum Nutrition, and the occasional protein shake.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]

There is only one supplement I mostly use, and that is a multivitamin.

I don't use the other 90% of supplements because supplements don't have to be proven that it actually does what it says it does. The standard for vitamins and supplements don't go through a rigorous test like antibiotics and medicines go through. But doctors are willing to tell you to be careful when taking supplements anyways.

So except for the daily multivitamins, there ARE some supplements I do use from time to time like protein, garlic(bad breath odor ehhh,) and omega-3.

As for all those stuff you see at the gym, they are either self-made protein drinks, or loads of supplements(often pill form) geared towards people building muscle. There are loads of them if you are willing to look at a vitamin/supplement store like GNC or something. As a personal preference, I don't touch those supplements... only protein.

Lark

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]

There is only one supplement I mostly use, and that is a multivitamin.

I don't use the other 90% of supplements because supplements don't have to be proven that it actually does what it says it does. The standard for vitamins and supplements don't go through a rigorous test like antibiotics and medicines go through. But doctors are willing to tell you to be careful when taking supplements anyways.

So except for the daily multivitamins, there ARE some supplements I do use from time to time like protein, garlic(bad breath odor ehhh,) and omega-3.

As for all those stuff you see at the gym, they are either self-made protein drinks, or loads of supplements(often pill form) geared towards people building muscle. There are loads of them if you are willing to look at a vitamin/supplement store like GNC or something. As a personal preference, I don't touch those supplements... only protein.

Yeah, I know that about suppliments, its part of the reason I always buy cheap generics rather than brands because I do believe that the majority of it is snake oil sales, although I do hear the ones I mentioned cited frequently in the literature about controlling colestoral and diabetes though.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
None. I never can keep up with any daily medicine. I always fall off the way-side, no matter how good my intentions.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Flaxseed oil, coconut oil, multivitamin, vitamin c, joint health supplement w/ calcium and shark cartilage, chromium picolinate, whey protein and casein.

I'm happy with the results so far, but it's hard to tell what is working. :alttongue:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use and would recommend an antioxidant blend for anti-aging

Did you happen to take a multivitamin with iron? Usually men's multivitamins remove it. Multivitamin is one of the best things you can take. I would recommend one with a joint cushioning blend to minimize damage from workouts

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
multivitamin, calcium and fish oil. :)
I've been on a veggie kick lately, too, with lots of spinach. I feel I'm much less dehydrated.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Selenium + multivitamin (A, C & E). Coenzyme q10, cod liver oil + glucosamine...

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Selenium + multivitamin (A, C & E).
896%5C5052004032896%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Coenzyme Q10
883%5C5051622642883%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Cod liver oil + glucosamine...
409%5C0000003037409%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Been taking these everyday since posting this, I blame the Coenzyme Q10 for my 'sleepless nights'.

I take those plus, as of yesterday;

Rosehip
036%5C5052004034036%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Hair, skin, nail thing.
1215438164-Firstchoicepharmacy.co.uk.jpg

Benefiber
(Twice a day).
Benefibre.jpg

MBTI Type
ISTP
AST sports science multi pro 32X is highly recommended by many people and it's what I use as well, most any 1-a-day is fine though. I take this along with a fish pill, twice a day and call it good.

MBTI Type
ISTP
ON's pro-complex is the best protein mix I've found. Instead of just whey protein it has a variety of sources like egg albumen which gives you a more well-rounded profile for muscle repair and growth.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I take:

Turmeric caps: 4x800mg
N-acetyl glucosamine: 5x750mg
N-acetyl cysteine: 2x600mg
Acetyl L-carnitine+alpha lipoic acid: 2x1600mg
Iodine (liquid kelp): 800mcg
Sometimes: B-complex

I don't take a multi because I don't think they work, but I do make green smoothies pretty often.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fish-oil based omega 3, expired by a year now, and once/daily instead of the 3x/daily they wanted me to take.

probably not doing anything, but eh, I have them, why not. I probably won't buy more, at least without researching a bit more to see if they have proven results. When I bought them a few years ago they seemed a little more promising. I'm pretty skeptical about supplements in general - will occasionally take a multivitamin if I'm getting sick or eating worse than usual or something.

Pretty much ALL supplement claims are based on massive overinterpretation of scientific findings, or worse, not based on any evidence at all. Even the ones that seem most promising (omega 3, vitamin D) show inconsistent results in population studies.

That's for healthy people, of course, not people who have specific deficiencies or needs.