User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 28

  1. #11
    Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp
    Posts
    832

    Default

    I see some of my friends still going to the gym, not knowing where their money might go and where they're better off. Idiots.

    My advise is...it's all at home. Food is just a paper weight now. You put it on the table, but not on the plate; you'll now be eating curls. Treadmill? how about just do it on the lawn, it's a free country. Your property has anything imaginable that's in a gym, + your money: put that where your stomach knows best. treat yourself mang.

    then you'll have your abs.

    Enjoy your free country.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oh yeah, I can do those, with relative ease too, I always wonder if I'm doing them wrong.
    You can make them more difficult by lifting arms and/or legs.

  3. #13
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Yeah. A typical floor day for us:

    3 sets of the following:
    - 20 crossfit situps (cross your legs, lay back, sit up without lifting the legs and feet from the ground.)
    - 20 moderate speed bicycles
    - 10 Leg lifts
    - 10 Toe touches (legs in the air straight up, back on the ground, lean up and try to touch your toes.)
    - 10 V-ups (Hands over your head, extended straight, legs straight as well. Lift yourself up into a "v" then set back down.)
    - 1 minute of planks, alternating between lifting left leg/right arm and right leg/left arm.

    Rest for a minute or two, and repeat.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #14
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    I've been on a program for the past 10 weeks that emphasizes core work. Things to look at:

    1. Plank
    2. Side planks

    When the plank is easy:
    1. Plank on stability ball
    2. Back and forth / circles / figure 8 plank on stability ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdCuZ0Mfio

    And recently, the following two exercises have been added, and they KILL me.
    1. Spiderman Crawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7rv...eature=related
    2. Lateral Crawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzIZjRXGUcY

  5. #15
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    The best thing is probably to just 'put the fork down.'

    Seriously, losing weight happens through diet mostly. You can work your abs all you want but they wont show until you are pretty lean, and most people cant reach that level.
    It doesn't mean you're not fit though. You can't seem my six pack, but I'm more fit than friends who is much leaner.
    I entirely agree.

    • A visible six pack is all about an absence of fat. Everyone has a six pack, but for most it's obscured by excess weight.
    • There's no such thing as "spot" or "targeted" weight loss. People have predispositions to gain weight in certain areas, and specific exercises don't change that.
    • Given the above, specific exercises can make your abs bigger or add definition to them. However, unless your stomach area is mostly fat free, that's not going to help.
    • Therefore, diet is the primary means to a six pack, followed by cardio exercise and weight lifting, then other core/ab exercises. (That's not to say the core exercises aren't good for other reasons.)

    If you don't lose the fat, you're never going to have a visible six pack no matter how fit you otherwise are.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I've been on a program for the past 10 weeks that emphasizes core work. Things to look at:

    1. Plank
    2. Side planks

    When the plank is easy:
    1. Plank on stability ball
    2. Back and forth / circles / figure 8 plank on stability ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdCuZ0Mfio

    And recently, the following two exercises have been added, and they KILL me.
    1. Spiderman Crawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7rv...eature=related
    2. Lateral Crawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzIZjRXGUcY
    I've done those last two things before, years ago when I was doing Karate, and I also did something called the crab, in which you have your back towards the floor and hands and feet on the ground and sort of "run" sideways, I like those and dont have difficulty with them (which is surprising considering I cant do press ups).

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I entirely agree.

    • A visible six pack is all about an absence of fat. Everyone has a six pack, but for most it's obscured by excess weight.
    • There's no such thing as "spot" or "targeted" weight loss. People have predispositions to gain weight in certain areas, and specific exercises don't change that.
    • Given the above, specific exercises can make your abs bigger or add definition to them. However, unless your stomach area is mostly fat free, that's not going to help.
    • Therefore, diet is the primary means to a six pack, followed by cardio exercise and weight lifting, then other core/ab exercises. (That's not to say the core exercises aren't good for other reasons.)

    If you don't lose the fat, you're never going to have a visible six pack no matter how fit you otherwise are.
    The whole reason I want a "six pack" is because I see it as the final evidence that I have beaten my body fat issues once and for all but I dont think that simply losing weight will make it materialise, my arms and legs did not have muscle definition until I did weight training or resistance training and they dont really have that much muscle or definition yet, just the beginnings of it or potential.

    Diet might be important, at least in the sense that you need to proper fuel which is perhaps neutrition rather than "diet", but I think exercise is what promotes so called "weight loss", you can starve or switch up what you're eating all you like, it'll probably be a good way to mess up your blood sugars but it'll achieve nothing.

  8. #18
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Seymour is right. 6-pack abs are entirely a function of body fat percentage. Very low body fat percentage... Generally the 8% range, plus or minus, for males. If you can do planks and those exercises I mentioned easily, you have enough abs for a 6 pack. You just gotta focus losing the fat that covers them.

    Nutrition and diet are extremely important as well. Exercise triggers your body to try to make changes like burning fat or muscle fiber hypertrophy, but it's the right nutrients at the right time that enables those things to happen. Exercise without proper nutrition is mostly a waste of time, and slows your progress at best and leads to pleatues, or fat gain, at worst.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Seymour is right. 6-pack abs are entirely a function of body fat percentage. Very low body fat percentage... Generally the 8% range, plus or minus, for males. If you can do planks and those exercises I mentioned easily, you have enough abs for a 6 pack. You just gotta focus losing the fat that covers them.

    Nutrition and diet are extremely important as well. Exercise triggers your body to try to make changes like burning fat or muscle fiber hypertrophy, but it's the right nutrients at the right time that enables those things to happen. Exercise without proper nutrition is mostly a waste of time, and slows your progress at best and leads to pleatues, or fat gain, at worst.
    Well so far the exercise is working for me, I feel great and am shedding weight in fat.

  10. #20
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well so far the exercise is working for me, I feel great and am shedding weight in fat.
    Awesome! Diet doesn't have to be perfect. IF you start stalling with weight loss, then you might want to look into it. But certainly no need to fix whats working.

Similar Threads

  1. Real quotes of you - post them. And your MBTI type
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11-29-2016, 04:04 AM
  2. There's Nothing You Can Do About It
    By Such Irony in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 01:32 AM
  3. SIMPLE QUOTES can you spot cognitive functions?
    By liYA in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  4. Is there a test you can do to find out your friends type?
    By Thinkaboutit in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO