123 Last

Thread: Fat People

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Default Fat People

Is it excercise phobia, not knowing what to put into your body or, a cultural thing?

Why are fat people, fat?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Because they don't burn off all their calories, so the body stores the remainder.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I know it's because they don't burn off fat, I want to know why they don't burn off fat.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Packaged food is low in nutrition and fiber, high in salt and sugar calories, but is cheaper than nutritious, high fiber, low calorie foods.

So it’s a bit more complicated than ‘calories in, calories out.

Because we're all lazy gluttons. Clearly.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Lots of reasons. The whole low-carb vs. high-carb debate in the nutrition world today is about how hormones have a profound effect on this--in that they are the mechanism by which the energy balance is physically carried out & enforced, but how & why hormones get out of whack is the real question, and I'm coming around to the perception that it's partly environment/societal/mental influences (i.e. cheap food happens to be high in calories, it often makes us happy to eat it, therefore we eat lots of it) and the societal factors that enable us to exercise less (cheap & relatively abundant energy allows us to drive instead of walk, keep the house's thermostat high in the winter instead of burning more calories dealing with lower temps, etc) along with internal/innate medical state (i.e. genetics, your body's personal tune in its reaction to stress, any physiological influences your body may have picked up from your mother during your time in the womb, the effect of digestive flora on the availability of calories from food, etc)

The biggest question is, say, how can one person eat 3000 calories/day and be skinny as a twig (and maintain that) while another gains weight readily on it. Lots of stuff going on there and IMO not enough quality research to explain it yet.

(disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a layman who's read a lot of crap.)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

what spirilis said. not the answer I suspect you wanted, though, since it doesn't make thin people more virtuous for taking better care of themselves. I also suspect there are factors we haven't yet fully explored/understood (e.g. endocrine disruption).

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

too many reasons, some of which are:

• the foods that we eat today are designed to be hyperpalatable and are relatively low in nutrient density, so it doesn't have the satiety factor of real, natural foods. They also short circuits the dopamine reward-circuit system so it's easy to exceed caloric requirements without realizing it.
    • more sedentary lifestyle. Not just active exercise but even things like sitting vs. standing makes a lot of difference in energy expenditure over time. Also we just tend to spend less time ambulating than we did before desk jobs became the norm.
    • epigenetics...yeah...something about that.
    • emotional eating - some people haven't really learned to process and deal with their emotions appropriately so they tend to stuff it down with food. I admit I used to belong in this category...I denied it, of course. But true to my Enneagram type, it was because I was so unaware. It's only looking at it in retrospect with the knowledge that I have now that it became clear.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It's kinda difficult to believe you don't actually already know the answer to this.

Some of it is genetic... Some of it has to do with the relationship you have with yourself.

Some may nurture themselves with comfort food/ relaxation... others nurture themselves with healthy food/ lifestyle

My thought is that it should be a bit of both.

People need to learn how to say yes by saying no and vice versa.
    It's not deprivation if you look at it right.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

@spirilis and @Kayness: Nice summation. I guess to add to what you are saying:

1. It's not just about having a high metabolism; some people can eat processed carbs without gaining weight, while others gain weight with even a moderate to small amount.

2. Sedentary jobs can be a huge factor. Did you know that simply standing for 8 hours will burn more calories than sitting for 8 hours and going to the gym for 45 minutes after work?

3. Other medical issues. You can't out-diet thyroid issues or side effects from certain medicines, for example.

4. Once overweight, it is enormously difficult to lose that weight and keep it off. Many people think it's just a matter of a bit of will power and dieting, but in reality the difficulty is on par with quitting smoking. Except you don't have to smoke several times a day to survive. It takes a near-obsessive amount of attention to food and exercise to lose a significant amount of weight, and any dieter who isn't prepared for that is unlikely to succeed.