User Tag List

Thread: Garden "gym"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Garden "gym"

I'm thinking about buying a couple of things which I could use in the garden on better days when there isnt any rain, I might ask for some of it for Christmas maybe, although I'm not sure exactly what would be a good idea and was hoping that I could get some suggestions from everyone who is a training fanatic on the forum, maybe @Halla

I know that for the big weights, sometimes refered to as "proper weights", you're going to need a gym, small barbells, dumb bells, kettle bells and the like are no substitute for that but I'm not at that stage of lifting or training yet in any case.

I'm just thinking is there anything which could be easily assembled taken out and set up, disassembled again and taken indoors, especially given that there's changeable weather here and you may want to do that quickly, I'm considering getting a tarpoline in anycase to cover it with or perhaps purchasing an outdoor plastic or wood paddlelocked bunker for storage, I've not decided.

MBTI
    INTJ

http://bar-barians.forumotions.com/

A kettlebell, a weighted vest, and a pullup bar can take you a long ways. Really, though, your bodyweight is enough to give you a good foundation. A sandbag can be used for a lot of good exercises, too, without really having to buy any equipment. If you get a bar and bench you can do most of the major lifts except the squat variations.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Completely agreed. Knowing how to use a minimum amount of equipment is going to give you more out of your workouts. Most people just buy into the consumerism mentality of "these exercises are only good for this one thing" and never get their money's worth.

My exercise equipment that I used before I left:
    - A weighted, padded bar.
    - A pair of dumbbells
    - Workout DVDs/programs

That's really it. I'd LOVE to get a weighted vest, it's one thing I really have my eyes on, and I always liked dumbbells over kettlebells but that's a personal preference nothing right/professional about that. Pull up bars are so so useful too, but I tend to just use whatever I have for that--tree limbs, fence lines, etc. A pair of gloves was free and a pull up bar is, so far, not.. I don't really spend money on work out equipment. Anything I've collected has been either something I picked up at a garage sale, or on craigslist someone was giving away, etc.

Anything is really going to be of use and help you out.. but the more complex you make working out, the less likely you'll be to do it. A few choice items can go a long long way since you're forced to use them for more.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Completely agreed. Knowing how to use a minimum amount of equipment is going to give you more out of your workouts. Most people just buy into the consumerism mentality of "these exercises are only good for this one thing" and never get their money's worth.

My exercise equipment that I used before I left:
    - A weighted, padded bar.
    - A pair of dumbbells
    - Workout DVDs/programs

That's really it. I'd LOVE to get a weighted vest, it's one thing I really have my eyes on, and I always liked dumbbells over kettlebells but that's a personal preference nothing right/professional about that. Pull up bars are so so useful too, but I tend to just use whatever I have for that--tree limbs, fence lines, etc. A pair of gloves was free and a pull up bar is, so far, not.. I don't really spend money on work out equipment. Anything I've collected has been either something I picked up at a garage sale, or on craigslist someone was giving away, etc.

Anything is really going to be of use and help you out.. but the more complex you make working out, the less likely you'll be to do it. A few choice items can go a long long way since you're forced to use them for more.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

All of the above posts I support. The machines are there for more psychological reasons rather than practical. Indeed to build muscle you need some weight in addition to your own, but if you do it correctly, your own body weight can have you solid like a rock. I've got the nickname "Iron Man" for being so taught and cut, but it never was from weights. Push ups, pull ups, resistance and variations of different angles of these will lead the way.
    I N V I C T U S

Banned

It is good if you have you desired machine at you garden, because you can save you time to go to the gym and spent you time their. You can keep your self in fitness by workout in you garden too.
    Last edited by peter_93; 11-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.