User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I can't even begin to respond to all of these, but thanks to everyone for all your input!

The one question I have, off the top of my head: @UniqueMixture, you said that you want rest days between workouts, but I had always heard that you only wanted rest days if you were thinking of working out the same parts of your body each day. As opposed to lower body one day, upper body the next day. (@SD45T-2 reinforced my thinking with a post to that effect.) So UniqueMixture I was wondering if you could elaborate on that a little?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

One of the best threads in this part of the forum.

I love those movie clips, I've found others for how to use other machines in my gym, about as good, if not better than the staff who work there. Cheers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Really? Weights before cardio? This is interesting.
    I believe the rationale is that since you burn sugars before fat, and cardio is designed to burn fat, you want to do weights first to burn your sugars off first so that your cardio can be devoted to burning fat. I've only learned this recently and have tried it once... I'm more comfortable doing cardio first so it's a switch.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I believe the rationale is that since you burn sugars before fat, and cardio is designed to burn fat, you want to do weights first to burn your sugars off first so that your cardio can be devoted to burning fat. I've only learned this recently and have tried it once... I'm more comfortable doing cardio first so it's a switch.
    Is it using weights which are difficult but which you can do plenty of reps with? Its more of a cardio lifting then I think, when I lift I try to lift just outside of what I can lift with the view that the last three before I cant lift at all do the "good" in terms of building muscle.

Really? Weights before cardio? This is interesting.
    Training is usually sequenced skill work, speed work, strength work, endurance work. It is better to do cardio in a depleted state as the goal is burning body fat and you'll burn a bigger percentage easier when energy depleted.

Anew Leaf

I really like doing the plank as it works your entire core.

I tend to do a routine that works out all major areas together. I do 3 reps of that routine which is around an hour. Then the next day I either do nothing or I do cardio. Then I do weights again the day after that. You want to be making wonderful tiny tears in your muscles that get repaired in the time off, so you can go back and tear them up again.

It's strange how this actually works.

I would like to summon @Halla74 since we all know he is the master of this.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Training is usually sequenced skill work, speed work, strength work, endurance work. It is better to do cardio in a depleted state as the goal is burning body fat and you'll burn a bigger percentage easier when energy depleted.
    Where did you learn this stuff?

Where did you learn this stuff?
    Books, the net, school. That is from the The Science of Sports Training. I wouldn't recommend it as a book for you though. This would be a good book for you The New Rules of Lifting For Life. I don't have that one, but Alwyn Cosgrove is a good author and the contents seem a good fit for you.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Since I'm trying to limit my TypeC time, I don't really have enough time to go through this whole thread still, but nonetheless I can already tell that this thread is becoming a great resource. Some of the posts -- especially on the first page -- were a little over my head, but they could be a next step once I figure out how all this stuff works.

Off the top of my head, two people I wanted to respond to. Firstly:
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Push ups off the knees are still effective, you're only reducing the load by changing leverage. I don't understand what your limits are in terms of equipment and time. Tell me that.
    I've got a full university gym at my disposal, designed to serve the student body plus all our various sports teams, so I'm not really limited in terms of weights/equipment. Time-wise, I think I've got two mornings a week, one hour each morning. So my schedule would be running Monday Wednesday Friday, gym Tuesday Thursday. Maybe also gym on Sunday, depending on how intensely I want to go about this.

But anyway, one effective trick is to lower slowly to build up strength, increase reps over time and then try moving to the next level.
    Amateur question: how can you tell when you're ready to increase reps? Just when they get easier and you get the vibe that you could do more if you wanted? I don't want to just do the same number of reps every day and stagnate.

Secondly: @lauranna, you're right that my being an ESTJ will make all of this easier. And your suggestion of writing everything down was a VERY good one. Nice way to hold me accountable.

EDIT: Two other questions for everyone.
    1) What are your recommended upper-body stretches, for before and after lifting?
    2) When you're at the gym, how much time do you allot yourself between machines? Do you pretty much run from machine to machine? Presumably you try to complete your whole routine in a set amount of time -- or at least, you'd make sure your rest/stretch breaks were a set amount of time -- but I don't know how that would work, exactly.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Amateur question: how can you tell when you're ready to increase reps? Just when they get easier and you get the vibe that you could do more if you wanted? I don't want to just do the same number of reps every day and stagnate.
    Say if you decide to do 12 reps for 2 sets. You choose a weight you can do 13 or 14 times. It isn't your max but fairly hard, then over time you increase the reps, say a rep more each workout. Then when you get to 15 for 2 you increase the weight and move back to 12. You have to play it by ear a bit as well.

Also, I'd do weights three times a week, even if you needed to drop running, since upper body is the focus. Have a weights program?