User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: BMI

Enneagram
    9w8

Default BMI

What's your BMI?

How do you feel about it or, rather for some folks, what do you think concerning it?

Do you think that BMI or fat-muscle ratio is more important?

And what's your current level of fitness?

*I know these are personal topics but they're kind of interesting and I'd like to know what people's take on the subject is.

Permabanned

On a scale of 1-10, ten being as fit as I've ever been (able to play hours and hours of soccer and basketball..) maybe a 6. I'm hungry, and I have a cold.

What's there to feel?

Enneagram
    9w8

Haha...Xisnotx, if you are hungry and have a cold, maybe hunger pangs and that horrible pressure feeling of a stuffy nose?!

Well, I knew I was talking to feelers and thinkers so I thought I'd ask the question both ways! Facts are fine. And 22.6 is fine, too. From what I understand, it looks like a pretty healthy number.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

19.0 and I think bmi is bullshit because I am not fit or healthy. I actually got a higher employee discount at my old job just because my bmi/cholesterol/blood pressure were low. it was supposed to be incentive for healthy eating or something.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

My BMI is 23.1.

There are no accurate indicators for body composition assessments. All methods for obtaining body fat have their inaccuracies with the most accurate still being 2-3% incorrect. The only true way to really gauge a person's body composition is to kill them and take apart their adipose tissues and weigh everything individually (this is not sarcasm).

BMI has a major flaw which doesn't include the fact that people have different compositions in terms of fat mass (FM) and fat-free mass (FFM) and only calculates a person's body weigh in comparison to their height. An example could be Shaquille O'Neal from the lakers who weighs a little over 300 pounds but has a body fat percentage of 4%. He is highly trained and fit yet would fall under a category in BMI that would make him grotesquely obese. BMI is a decent indicator for an overall assessment of someone's calculated risk for developing adverse health conditions. We see people that fall into the obese and under weight categories tend to have an increase health concerns such as diabetes, cardiac vascular disease, hypertension, anemia, bullemia, anorexia, and decrease in immune system functions.

The Fat-muscle ratio you mention is going to be correlated to the body composition test of hydrostatic weighing. It's a method where an individual's land weight is taken and then they are placed onto a weight scale submerged in water and another weight is taken. The idea is that the fat density is 0.9kg/l and fat free mass (skeletal muscle, bones and water) have a density of roughly 1.1kg/l. With some mathematical calculations the scaled under weight gives us a projected body composition number for an individual where we can calculate the body fat by taking the weight of the Fat Mass and dividing it by the entire Weight of the Body. This has the smallest room for error but the results can be skewed heavily depending on diet and hydration levels. If someone were to drink 2 liters of water and not urinate before being weighed, they would weigh 2 pounds more and those 2 pounds would be counted as fat free mass which would lower the body fat % result. If you include a heavy meal and drinking some water, one can fluctuate their weight by 4-5 pounds and throw the accurate results off.

My current belief is that studies have shown BMI to be an outdated system. It has it's purpose as I've stated above but it's merely a guideline. The most fascinating thing about the human body to me is that way we see adaptations through different stresses on the body. If you're working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle you'll see the benefits and reap them. I wouldn't pay close attention to BMI except for the overall big picture related to health concerns. I'd be more concerned about body fat because there are close links to cardiovascular diseases based on higher percentages of fat. Most importantly, just do what it takes to feel great about yourself

My current level of fitness is pretty high. I run 5 times a day for cardio and lift weights 3-4 times a week depending on rotation.
    Random facts about me:
    I'm 6''0.5' and 170 pounds.
    BMI is 23
    Body fat from electrical impedance is 6.3%~7.1%. Hydrostatic weighing body fat result is 5.7%.
    5K (3.1 mi) running time is 18:58
    10K (6.2mi) running time is 51:15
    12 mi running time is roughly 2 hours.
    Bench press is 3 sets of 245 pounds at 5 reps
    Leg press is 3 sets of 630 at 10 reps
    Pull ups are at 5 sets of 12 reps with 45 pound plate hanging on me
    Dips are at 4 sets of 30 reps with 45 pound plate hanging on me

My BMI is 26, but my body fat is 12% so I am in no way overweight. I never use BMI when counselling clients, just body fat percentages and muscle mass.

Enneagram
    9w8

Chana, Scienceresearcher, & Wolfy,

Thanks for your replies. SR, thank you for the well-thought-out information. It is very helpful.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    What's your BMI?

How do you feel about it or, rather for some folks, what do you think concerning it?

*I know these are personal topics but they're kind of interesting and I'd like to know what people's take on the subject is.
    My BMI is solidly in the normal range, towards the upper end I think.

I think BMI is fairly accurate if you're of average height, musculature, and build/bone size. I am all of those, more or less, so it's probably pretty accurate for me. I'm not sure how accurate it'd be for me if I gained a lot of muscle (or fat) or lost a lot of fat, because I've never done any of those things. I think BMI and fat-muscle ratio can both be helpful across a population, since they average fairly well, but for an individual it makes more sense to go with a more personalized evaluation taking into account real fitness, strength, body fat%, whether they're malnourished, etc.

My current fitness level I'd give a B. I'd say it's passing as far as how active I am (especially in the summer), but I have some areas that could really use improvement (cardio, ugh) and some that I'd like to refine a bit (strength training). So more or less in line with my BMI, I guess.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    What's your BMI?
    18.5-18.8 [just gave the range; my weight fluctuates by 2-3lb, generally]

It's just another number. Looking at mine, one may lecture me about being near the underweight range, but that's because BMI doesn't factor in things like bone frame. My dad was tall/lanky, & my mother is a petite person. I got his height and her bone structure.. if I got up into the higher areas of 'normal' weight for my height, indicated on most BMI charts, I'd start looking a bit thick. A friend of mine is only a little taller than I, but she has the bones of a viking, so her frame easily carries like 155lb of lean muscle, & she appears outwardly to have similar proportions to me. Weird how that works.

It also doesn't factor in how much of your weight is muscle. I have male friends whose BMI will indicate they're overweight, when they're just pure meaty muscle. I've also known some rather solid women with HUGE breasts - so while they appeared to be in the normal range of healthy weight, their racks would tip the scale & they'd be calculated as "obese." Dumb.

So, ultimately it's just one piece of the puzzle, & there's only so much insight one can draw from it.

Just as BMI is one piece of the puzzle, as I said above- muscle to fat ratio is another piece. BMI's a general compass, whereas muscle-fat ratio is more specific to the inidividual, so, both of these calculations have their own importance in terms of gauging one's current physical condition.

Strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd say muscle-fat ratio is what more people will notice. Muscle is more compact, so even some people who weigh more than others will appear to be lighter, etc.

I've been less active than I used to be, due to some medical issues, so I'd say my fitness level is less than it was [I had more muscle tone, etc back then], but I could still do all the same things I used to do for fitness maintenance.. it'd just suck for a couple weeks, haha. I'm in 'average' condition, I guess? I'm not naturally an athlete, but I ain't no sissy.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Looking at mine, one may lecture me about being near the underweight range, but that's because BMI doesn't factor in things like bone frame. My dad was tall/lanky, & my mother is a petite person. I got his height and her bone structure.. if I got up into the higher areas of 'normal' weight for my height, indicated on most BMI charts, I'd start looking a bit thick. A friend of mine is only a little taller than I, but she has the bones of a viking, so her frame easily carries like 155lb of lean muscle, & she appears outwardly to have similar proportions to me. Weird how that works.
    Yeah, I think this is true. Sounds like I have a similar build as you.

Maybe 4-5 years ago, my bmi was in the 18 range too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly less than that now, though, due to the activity level I have (in the summer months especially - more endurance-y, intense, high cardio/calorie-burning mountain climbing and long hikes), as compared to back then when I wasn't doing as much.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ