User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: BMI

MBTI
    STP

my BMI is 29 right now. I dont think anyone around me would consider me fat or obese.

I try to balance my BMI with a mixture of building muscle and keeping my fat under control.

5'9"@195lbs
    Just to give an idea...39" waist/hip(I dont know exactly where to measure), but I wear a 34" pants comfortably without overhang...fit into some 33" pants comfortably
    46" around my chest
    52" around my shoulders.

all this is cold and not flexing or sucking in, just standing normal.

when I was in highschool my BMI was 19 and I was extremely fit and in shape, but skinny. One of those ripped martial artist types.
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    What's your BMI?

How do you feel about it or, rather for some folks, what do you think concerning it?

Do you think that BMI or fat-muscle ratio is more important?

And what's your current level of fitness?

*I know these are personal topics but they're kind of interesting and I'd like to know what people's take on the subject is.
    I'm not sure how to calculate this, the person at the gym used to do this but I stopped seeing them, now someone I see because of my diabetes does it.

That said one of my goals is to reach and maintain my BMI, at the very least maintain it but I'd like to reach a shockingly high level of personal fitness to be honest, like olympian, even if I'm never going to do any of those sports in question.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not sure how to calculate this, the person at the gym used to do this but I stopped seeing them, now someone I see because of my diabetes does it.

That said one of my goals is to reach and maintain my BMI, at the very least maintain it but I'd like to reach a shockingly high level of personal fitness to be honest, like olympian, even if I'm never going to do any of those sports in question.
    Lark, I wish you the greatest success. I applaud you for wanting a high level of fitness. It is my belief that fitness should be for everyone who wants it, not just those who compete in sports.

Lark, I wish you the greatest success. I applaud you for wanting a high level of fitness. It is my belief that fitness should be for everyone who wants it, not just those who compete in sports.
    I agree, I saw a Nike ad or something once which had the tagline "the sport of fitness has arrived", mind you it showed a hyper fit assembly of people taking part in a hardcore training group, like hand stand press ups and step aerobics with weights/bar bells which I dont think everyone needs or should aspire to either, when it comes to training I'm a bit of an interovert presently and can appreciate anyone feeling that way.

There's something wrong with the way physical education is taught in schools, that it is games or athletics or track and field, general fitness through a variety of training approaches would do far better, in which you could be in competition with others, I've no problem with that at all, but ultimately the competition or goals are about your self and you're own fitness.

Also, its too late for me, I've got diabetes, hopefully it'll never become type one with all the crap that goes along with that, or kill me, but if I knew what I do now about diet and fitness as insurance against this kind of thing you can bet that when I was fit I would have maintained that. It would have been my sole priority and I dont think physical ed teaches any of that, there's no one, I believe, who wants to be unhealthy, unfit and inactive.

Enneagram
    9w8

I agree, I saw a Nike ad or something once which had the tagline "the sport of fitness has arrived", mind you it showed a hyper fit assembly of people taking part in a hardcore training group, like hand stand press ups and step aerobics with weights/bar bells which I dont think everyone needs or should aspire to either, when it comes to training I'm a bit of an interovert presently and can appreciate anyone feeling that way.

There's something wrong with the way physical education is taught in schools, that it is games or athletics or track and field, general fitness through a variety of training approaches would do far better, in which you could be in competition with others, I've no problem with that at all, but ultimately the competition or goals are about your self and you're own fitness.

Also, its too late for me, I've got diabetes, hopefully it'll never become type one with all the crap that goes along with that, or kill me, but if I knew what I do now about diet and fitness as insurance against this kind of thing you can bet that when I was fit I would have maintained that. It would have been my sole priority and I dont think physical ed teaches any of that, there's no one, I believe, who wants to be unhealthy, unfit and inactive.
    I completely agree with you on this Lark. I think phys ed should be about being healthy, not winning competitions. I have nothing against competive sports for people who want to participate in them, but I never did. My goals are always to make me better than I was, not better than someone else. I love your input. Thanks so much.

I completely agree with you on this Lark. I think phys ed should be about being healthy, not winning competitions. I have nothing against competive sports for people who want to participate in them, but I never did. My goals are always to make me better than I was, not better than someone else. I love your input. Thanks so much.
    I developed that thinking relatively late in life, I think I was beginning to push my twenties and had been to one or two gyms and started to read about exercise and realised that what I was doing was my own independent learning of a phys ed nature and, like with a dozen other subjects, I wondered why the hell school could not have been like that instead of the way it had been, when it felt like the pysh ed teachers couldnt be bothered or hated that class and was just dying for some of the pupils to lose it and start a fight with them so they could thump them and get them expelled.

My experience of school was pretty poor, I hated it and have no good memories of it.

Enneagram
    9w8

I developed that thinking relatively late in life, I think I was beginning to push my twenties and had been to one or two gyms and started to read about exercise and realised that what I was doing was my own independent learning of a phys ed nature and, like with a dozen other subjects, I wondered why the hell school could not have been like that instead of the way it had been, when it felt like the pysh ed teachers couldnt be bothered or hated that class and was just dying for some of the pupils to lose it and start a fight with them so they could thump them and get them expelled.

My experience of school was pretty poor, I hated it and have no good memories of it.
    Sometimes I think that the best way to learn is to be mentored one on one, or at least one teacher and a small group of students to work with over a number of years. Our society doesn't really allow much for that, then again, I guess most don't, but in a dream world [my dream world] a dedicated teacher would take a handful of youngsters and work with them daily until they had learned all they needed to learn to go out into the world. Like I said, that's in my little dream world. haha.

Sometimes I think that the best way to learn is to be mentored one on one, or at least one teacher and a small group of students to work with over a number of years. Our society doesn't really allow much for that, then again, I guess most don't, but in a dream world [my dream world] a dedicated teacher would take a handful of youngsters and work with them daily until they had learned all they needed to learn to go out into the world. Like I said, that's in my little dream world. haha.
    Its similar to my own, films like Karate Kid or the series Kung Fu probably influenced it but I've always believed in the model of a master tutoring a novice to the point when the student becomes the master (OK that may be star wars I'm channeling now).

Enneagram
    9w8

Its similar to my own, films like Karate Kid or the series Kung Fu probably influenced it but I've always believed in the model of a master tutoring a novice to the point when the student becomes the master (OK that may be star wars I'm channeling now).
    Well, whatever you're channeling, it's rubbed off on me! Cause I see it exactly the same way! I believe that is the way any true art is refined. It must be personal.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    19.0 and I think bmi is bullshit because I am not fit or healthy. I actually got a higher employee discount at my old job just because my bmi/cholesterol/blood pressure were low. it was supposed to be incentive for healthy eating or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    My BMI is 26, but my body fat is 12% so I am in no way overweight. I never use BMI when counselling clients, just body fat percentages and muscle mass.
    Wow and exactly. My BMI is 22 so right in average range. BMI is a Number to use when you're looking for quantifiers. Body fat percentage is more useful and for health other numbers like resting heart rate and blood pressure.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari