User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

@jixmixfix
    I can't stop smoking
    That's what I thought too... Until I just did it. Cold turkey. Cravings were bad the first several days and then died off altogether. Now I just have the remembrance of how much I love smoking because it really is enjoyable, but it's not a craving/overwhelming feeling. My grandpa who I've always admired (and is now deceased) kind of inspired me with his story. He smoked for 20 years or something, and ran out of cigarettes one evening while watching TV. He told me "I just didn't feel like running out to the store and buying these things anymore, so I quit right then and there and haven't touched them since."

Good luck.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    @jixmixfix

That's what I thought too... Until I just did it. Cold turkey. Cravings were bad the first several days and then died off altogether. Now I just have the remembrance of how much I love smoking because it really is enjoyable, but it's not a craving/overwhelming feeling. My grandpa who I've always admired (and is now deceased) kind of inspired me with his story. He smoked for 20 years or something, and ran out of cigarettes one evening while watching TV. He told me "I just didn't feel like running out to the store and buying these things anymore, so I quit right then and there and haven't touched them since."

Good luck.
    I end up stopping for a few days until I see friends or people smoking a cigarette then I end up wanting one really bad.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    think of something to disgust you about it daily. watch those horrid truth campaigns.
    after it leaves your body...you can can do it. you can control the mental part if you really want to. imagine yourself with a tracheotomy.

True I just came back from a physical though and the doctor said I'm perfectly healthy so I kinda know in the back of my mind I can get away with smoking for the time being even if I don't want to.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

e-cigarettes aren't a bad diversion as a step in the right direction for stopping smoking. You are still smoking and have the nicotine, but not the more harmful aspects of cigarettes. They also actually smell good.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    1. Use the patch AND the gum, and stock up so you don't run out. Do it religiously and without fail, even if the patch breaks you out and makes you itch, just do it. Patch up and chew yourself a big ol wad of nicorette and make sure you have enough supply for at least two months.

2. Don't give up. It can take several attempts before you're actually able to quit for good. Don't give up on the idea that you can quit. If you start smoking again, start quitting again, too. Do it as long as you can; as soon as you are able, do it as long as you can do it again; proceed, gaining time not smoking as you go. Eventually you will let go of it.
    All of this, but most importantly, if you don't really want to quit, you won't. I successfully quit 4 years ago with the patch. I too never thought I could quit, until I did. I'm a health nut now.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Just throw the pack away and once in awhile when you're around smokers offer to buy one for $0.50 just to keep yourself sane (limit yourself to 3 a week maybe)
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    e-cigarettes aren't a bad diversion as a step in the right direction for stopping smoking. You are still smoking and have the nicotine, but not the more harmful aspects of cigarettes. They also actually smell good.
    Be afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Just throw the pack away and once in awhile when you're around smokers offer to buy one for $0.50 just to keep yourself sane (limit yourself to 3 a week maybe)
    I would feel embarrassed being 'that guy' who asks to buy loosies. Even gas stations who sell them judge people who do!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    1. Use the patch AND the gum, and stock up so you don't run out. Do it religiously and without fail, even if the patch breaks you out and makes you itch, just do it. Patch up and chew yourself a big ol wad of nicorette and make sure you have enough supply for at least two months.

2. Don't give up. It can take several attempts before you're actually able to quit for good. Don't give up on the idea that you can quit. If you start smoking again, start quitting again, too. Do it as long as you can; as soon as you are able, do it as long as you can do it again; proceed, gaining time not smoking as you go. Eventually you will let go of it.
    This.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years. I tried quitting over and over. To finally stop once and for all, I chewed huge amounts of nictotine gum all day and even chewed it as I was going to sleep. Furthermore I kept on chewing it for the next 5 years. I didn't want to stop the nictotine gum until cigarettes were so far back in my past that I couldn't even imagine picking up a cigarette again. It's now been 10 years since my last cigarette (and five years since my last piece of nicotine gum).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I quit smoking in 2004 and I'm still chewing the gum.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't recommend getting someone else to hold you accountable if you have extremely irritable withdrawals because that can be a huge strain on relationships.

I know because I tried it once. It worked for a day and I went from my quiet, loving self to "BITCH, give me that motherfucking cigarette or I KILL you."

Not good.