First 2345 Last

Thread: Probiotics

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

spirilis, are you on a gluten free diet?

Also, I'm curious... for those who are, what does your daily food intake consist of, starting with breakfast.

As for Truvia, check this out. Looks like I'll be switching to Stevita. Here are the flavors of liquid stevia she recommends.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Breakfast
    2 slices Udi's toast w/ butter and peanut butter and a bottle of homemade veggie juice.

Snack
    Grannie Smith apple and some almonds

Lunch
    Fruit smoothie with yoghurt when I'm really busy or else something like 1 egg omelette and baked beans or soup or something.

After school snack
    Fruit and a slice of cheese

Supper
    Salmon and wild rice and salad with lemon juice for dressing.
    Fudgesicle

Evening indulgence when I do
    Smart popcorn

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Yeah, I found out I was gluten sensitive (not really celiac, but, definitely sensitive) after I tried Atkins and discovered I could stop taking my acid-reflux meds cold turkey without the crippling rebound indigestion I'd get when I tried that any other time. Eventually "cheating" on the low-carb diet and reintroducing wheat brought back the symptoms, which is how I knew.

My meals are mostly low-carb-inspired, with some starches and occasional sugar added in (this year I haven't stuck to low-carb all that well...) as treats. Breakfast is typically a 3-egg omelette w/ goat cheese and some kind of nuts mixed in, lunch is leftovers (meat+vegetables), dinner is similar.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled
    Lunch - Huge salad with lean beef or chicken on it, lemon juice and olive oil for dressing
    Dinner - Same, plus brown rice and some low fat cottage cheese, sometimes a piece of fruit

I eat that for days on end.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Thanks for the info! I don't plan to stop eating fruit or even some other natural sugars - that should be okay, shouldn't it then? What did you experience when you went too far in the other direction? How did you know that you had candida?
    I found out I had a problem with Candida (it's naturally in your body, but if it gets out of hand, then it causes problems) when I saw a guy on a talk show talking about his problems with it. I had chronic sinus problems that allergy shots and other treatments hadn't helped. The guy recommended this book, which I bought. It says to consult a doctor before starting the diet, but none of my doctors put much stock in it, so I decided to try cutting out one or two things on my own and took Caprylic Acid capsules. I didn't feel too great while my body was getting back in balance, but eventually all of my sinus problems went away. If I overdo the caffeine or sugar, the problems come back.

If I remember correctly, the book does recommend cutting out all sources of sugar, fruit included, but from my experience, that's taking it too far. Maybe extreme cases of overgrowth might warrant doing that, but just cutting way back on refined sugars worked for me. I drank a LOT of Pepsi in those days, so that went bye-bye. I used to joke that I put tea in my sugar, so I learned to drink tea without sugar. And I cut back on how much tea I drank, or went with decaf. I cut out sweets.

Another thing about the probiotics--I had asked my mom's allopathic doctors what they would recommend, but none of them had any preferences and weren't able to explain what benefits the different blends had. Hopefully, you have doctors who will be able to give recommendations and who support natural treatments.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Have you tried PB2? It's low calorie/fat, gluten free and really good!

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Have you tried PB2? It's low calorie/fat, gluten free and really good!
    Lady,I order Walden Farms which has zero calorie, zero fat, zero sugar, zero gluten , zero carb foods. I call it Almost Food and get scared introducing bewitched dressings into my system. :/. Low carb alternatives often taste terrible. Any food alternative that tastes GOOD is welcome.

@fidelia

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-N.../dp/B000BD0RRM

Nattokinase
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Lady,I order Walden Farms which has zero calorie, zero fat, zero sugar, zero gluten , zero carb foods. I call it Almost Food and get scared introducing bewitched dressings into my system. :/. Low carb alternatives often taste terrible. Any food alternative that tastes GOOD is welcome.

@fidelia

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-N.../dp/B000BD0RRM

Nattokinase
    I was so excited, until I saw that it has Spelda in it!! :/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I eat 1 to 2 cups of vanilla yogurt a day. I love yogurt. Yogurt is an excellent source of beneficial bacteria (Probiotics)

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    So I went to Earthfare today to check out their gluten free stuff. For lunch, I had a gluten free chicken burrito, and a bowl of 0% yogurt with gluten free granola which is SUPER GOOD! Just had frozen GF jambalaya which was very good as well. One thing I've noticed today is that I'm not ravenous! I read online that GF is low in fiber, which keeps you feeling full longer? For those of you who are GF, where do you get your fiber from?

Does anyone have any good recipes they can share? I don't mind frozen food, but the jambalaya was so good, I might as well make a big pot of it and keep some in the freezer.

@fidelia, I am trying to cut as much sugar out of my diet as I can stand. It's so hard because I love sweets, but it really irritates my stomach. Have you tried Truvia? I put it in my yogurt with fruit and granola and that keeps me full for hours.
    What kind of recipes would you like? I'm an expert chef...I cook for a household of celiacs. I make just about everything. It tastes just as good, if not better than a lot of stuff made with gluten. If my life were at a different place, I'd open up an eatery.

@fidelia, it would be better to restrict your casein consumption until your gut is healed. Sauerkraut and miso would be great choices.

A Kitchenaid mixer will be a must if you're going to make bread or baked goods. I know they are expensive as hell but it is well worth it. Especially when Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and all these other companies charge a fortune for some dried up, stiff slices of carbohydrates that they dare label as "bread". I'm exaggerating a little. They quality is improving but the price isn't. The mixer is a better investment in long-run for cost and quality of product.