First 12345 Last

Thread: Probiotics

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

So I went to Earthfare today to check out their gluten free stuff. For lunch, I had a gluten free chicken burrito, and a bowl of 0% yogurt with gluten free granola which is SUPER GOOD! Just had frozen GF jambalaya which was very good as well. One thing I've noticed today is that I'm not ravenous! I read online that GF is low in fiber, which keeps you feeling full longer? For those of you who are GF, where do you get your fiber from?

Does anyone have any good recipes they can share? I don't mind frozen food, but the jambalaya was so good, I might as well make a big pot of it and keep some in the freezer.

@fidelia, I am trying to cut as much sugar out of my diet as I can stand. It's so hard because I love sweets, but it really irritates my stomach. Have you tried Truvia? I put it in my yogurt with fruit and granola and that keeps me full for hours.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

What is Truvia?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What is Truvia?
    It's a brand of Stevia. I tried baking with it and it was disgusting. Sugar subs tend to bake terribly. I prefer Xylitol. I forget what they have in common but sugar alcohols tend to create digestion issues but not Xylitol. However, Xylitol is most like "real sugar" or something...I forget why I preferred it but it must have been a good reason. :P It is preferred amongst hard core low-carb dieters. Strangely, the brand I bought of xylitol is just Xylitol with a capital 'X' like buying a pound of Sugar brand of sugar. It used to be hard to find but I found a big pack of it at one of the new 'whole foods' like grocery that popped up. There are a LOT of spin-offs of Whole Foods and Trader Joes popping up around Northern CA.

As for probiotics, your doc would have best recommendations but I covered my bets and got one that has a mix of different strains. Acidipholus (sp?) is common and is what's in most yogurt. Bifidinus (sp?) is supposedly the most prevalent strain in your gut so I look for brands with that.

I think I also wrote this in your blog, but fermented soybeans may not be tasty nor smell good but it is considered almost medicinal in eastern asian countries. You can buy 'essence of' it in pill form online and in some Asian grocery stores.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    It's a brand of Stevia. I tried baking with it and it was disgusting. Sugar subs tend to bake terribly. I prefer Xylitol. I forget what they have in common but sugar alcohols tend to create digestion issues but not Xylitol. However, Xylitol is most like "real sugar" or something...I forget why I preferred it but it must have been a good reason. :P It is preferred amongst hard core low-carb dieters. It used to be hard to find but I found a big pack of it at one of the new 'whole foods' like grocery that popped up. There are a LOT of spin-offs of Whole Foods and Trader Joes popping up around Northern CA.
    Xylitol gave me very bad digestive issues, FWIW ....... I threw the bag away within 1 hour of using it, it was that bad :P
    Truvia is Stevia + Erythritol, often considered the least symptomatic of the sugar alcohols. Xylitol is generally the most "sugar-like" of them though.
    I definitely think of truvia as ... a sweetener that goes with "certain" things. Putting it on a bowl of blueberries & cream works extremely well I've found
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Xylitol gave me very bad digestive issues, FWIW ....... I threw the bag away within 1 hour of using it, it was that bad :P
    Truvia is Stevia + Erythritol, often considered the least symptomatic of the sugar alcohols. Xylitol is generally the most "sugar-like" of them though.
    I definitely think of truvia as ... a sweetener that goes with "certain" things. Putting it on a bowl of blueberries & cream works extremely well I've found
    I can't eat anything with Xylitol, Sorbital, Erythrito, etc. Truvia (Stevia) so far, hasn't bothered me. I mix mine with yogurt and fruit.

The up side to being diagnosed with IBD is that I lost a lot of the weight I gained when I was having kids. Prior to that, I just couldn't seem to get passed a certain weight which was really frustrating.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I don't trust any fake sugars. I think they give you cancer so I'm fine going without. I don't eat a ton of sugar anyway. This summer has been saying good-bye to the last few things - good chocolate, homemade chocolate pudding with whipped cream, fudgesicles and iced coffee.

Hey Cze Cze, if I'm looking for the fermented soybeans in pill form, what do I call them?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I've been reading about fermented foods. Am already doing yoghurt (homemade). I've heard of kefir, but never tried it. What's it taste like? Already eating sauerkraut.
    I'm just cutting out white sugar/corn syrup. I don't eat loads of sugar, but some and I think it can't help to reduce that load on my system.
    it's hard to explain. it's kind of like a combination of a yogurt smoothie and sparkling grape juice but tangier
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

mmm I do love kefir .... it's like a creamy & sour yogurt smoothie with a slightly nutty aftertaste (probably from the bacteria remaining in your mouth fermenting things) and very subtle carbonation-like tang to the tongue.
    Need to buy some soon!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Where do you buy the grains? Are they gluten free?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I'm pretty sure they're gluten free since they're just bacterial+yeast cultures, although I don't know where to buy the grains--some health food stores might carry them, probably something you'd want to call around first to find out.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so