User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Default Knee Problems Thread

I'd like to hear about your experiences with knee problems! Specifically, what you have been able to achieve in the way of rehabilitation.

I have patellar subluxation. My knees caps started coming out at age 11. From then on I gradually became less active. At age 18, when I had arthroscopic surgery, I basically became unable to do much of anything on my legs.

As a kid I was very athletic. As a teenager, I was a dancer. At this point I feel very defeated by my knee issue. I have slowly been gaining weight and am always down about my inability to do things I love to do.

The doctors don't really have much to say about this.

Anyone have experience in this area? Would love to hear some stories.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

My husband is 33 and needs both knees replaced due to injuries sustained while in the military. He's actually lucky he didn't lose his foot. As his unit was patrolling/doing a sweep of a road the driver of the 8-ton truck freaked out at the sound of gun fire and swerved... He ended up running over two of his guys. The first guy is now in a wheelchair from his injuries, and my husband has spent the last three years rehabilitating. He's had two scope surgeries in his left knee and one scope surgery in his right knee to remove damaged cartilage. I can't remember what it was they did to save his foot, but they did it to relieve the pressure. He barely has any cartilage left in his left knee, and will likely develop arthritis before he gets them replaced. No doctor wants to replace it because of his age and the replacement knees lifespan.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    My husband is 33 and needs both knees replaced due to injuries sustained while in the military. He's actually lucky he didn't lose his foot. As his unit was patrolling/doing a sweep of a road the driver of the 8-ton truck freaked out at the sound of gun fire and swerved... He ended up running over two of his guys. The first guy is now in a wheelchair from his injuries, and my husband has spent the last three years rehabilitating. He's had two scope surgeries in his left knee and one scope surgery in his right knee to remove damaged cartilage. I can't remember what it was they did to save his foot, but they did it to relieve the pressure. He barely has any cartilage left in his left knee, and will likely develop arthritis before he gets them replaced. No doctor wants to replace it because of his age and the replacement knees lifespan.
    What insanity! I imagine he must have a lot of difficulty with activity. I feel arthritic at times. The doctors have told me the same exact thing about knee replacement. I just think... couldn't I just have them replaced again? Why won't you let me enjoy working knees while I'm young??
    ( . )( . )

Had a run-in with chondromalacia patella/patellofemoral pain syndrome last fall... eased up on exercise a bit while the symptoms calmed down, did some strengthening and flexibility exercises, now it still gets achey at certain points (hiking downhill prolonged etc), but mostly better, and I know how to manage it. Will have to maintain that strength/flexibility for my whole life probably or else it will come back, that's what it seems like for now at least, when I slack off it begins to get irritated again.

In my anatomy class we watched a knee replacement surgery, very crazy and cool. The lady was pretty young (40s) although not so young as you guys I'd imagine. But still, they wanted to replace it because she was young and had young children. Weird they want you guys to wait.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Had a run-in with chondromalacia patella/patellofemoral pain syndrome last fall... eased up on exercise a bit while the symptoms calmed down, did some strengthening and flexibility exercises, now it still gets achey at certain points (hiking downhill prolonged etc), but mostly better, and I know how to manage it. Will have to maintain that strength/flexibility for my whole life probably or else it will come back, that's what it seems like for now at least, when I slack off it begins to get irritated again.

In my anatomy class we watched a knee replacement surgery, very crazy and cool. The lady was pretty young (40s) although not so young as you guys I'd imagine. But still, they wanted to replace it because she was young and had young children. Weird they want you guys to wait.
    So you do your physical therapy exercises daily? What sort of ones do you do?
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'd like to hear about your experiences with knee problems! Specifically, what you have been able to achieve in the way of rehabilitation
    After 5 years and lots of money, zilch.

I have patellar subluxation.
    Sounds familiar. I don't think any one specific injury is to blame, my knee just isn't mechanically sound. Physical therapy didn't really accomplish much, just as it didn't really improve my shoulder either.

As a kid I was very athletic. As a teenager, I was a dancer. At this point I feel very defeated by my knee issue. I have slowly been gaining weight and am always down about my inability to do things I love to do.
    I know exactly what that's like.

Do your hands/wrists/elbows/shoulders work okay?

The doctors don't really have much to say about this.
    Yeah, my doctors have pretty much run out of ideas for my knee and all the other stuff that's wrong with me.

My knee is just the tip of the iceberg. The last 5 years have been like a really long episode of House, except none of the things I have are life threatening (at least not directly), and there are no attractive women. I'm 23 going on 80.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

So you do your physical therapy exercises daily? What sort of ones do you do?
    Try to stretch daily (hamstring primarily, but feels good to stretch everything, so I do that while I'm at it) and do the strengthening a few times a week as part of leg workout. I think the stretching is actually the most important for me.

My anatomy professor said that knees are a "total mess of a joint" and it's kind of true.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

What insanity! I imagine he must have a lot of difficulty with activity. I feel arthritic at times. The doctors have told me the same exact thing about knee replacement. I just think... couldn't I just have them replaced again? Why won't you let me enjoy working knees while I'm young??
    Oh yeah... He has his good days, and he has his rough days. I think it's really hard on him because he used to be an avid wrestler, and now he can't do any of that stuff without winding up sprawled out on the couch the next day. That's what I don't understand about knee replacements. I guess it must be something in the way they are replaced that makes them hesitant to replace them again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    My anatomy professor said that knees are a "total mess of a joint" and it's kind of true.
    Ugh, the knee and shoulder are both so complex when it comes to joints. I hated trying to remember all that in anatomy.