User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

knee problems run in my family, and though i've never been atheletic i can feel problems already creeping up on me, my mom says by 50 i'll probably need to get my right knee replaced (that's the knee that gives me the problems)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ

Just do whatever you can.

I had tarsal coalition when I was younger which basically means my foot bones grew together and solidified over time. This effected my posture, caused my arches to collapse, turned my feet out, messed up my calves and hamstrings and probably gave me lower back problems. It got to the point where my feet were like solid bricks and it was incredibly painful, so they went in and cut all the bones back apart.

I still have problems standing for long periods on hard surfaces or running too much. I start out ok but there's eventually an onset of incredible pain if I push it, and I end up with stiff ankles, knees and hips.

My knees seem to hyperextend easily and I'm quite fearful of having them bumped at times. They also aren't very stable so I can easily twist something walking in grass and stuff if I hit uneven spots. Because of this I pick my shoes very carefully and make sure they are light, supportive, with good traction and durability. I can't wear sandals or pumps or flipflops because they just destroy me quickly.

I still try to walk everywhere and just take my time and have to deal with a little pain (some times a lot) but not to the extent that I'm just injuring myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I had tarsal coalition when I was younger which basically means my foot bones grew together and solidified over time. This effected my posture, caused my arches to collapse, turned my feet out, messed up my calves and hamstrings and probably gave me lower back problems. It got to the point where my feet were like solid bricks and it was incredibly painful, so they went in and cut all the bones back apart.
    That is pure insane.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    That is pure insane.
    It was. I had especially bad case of it. I think the only thing worse than the pain before was the pain after the surgery. I vaguely remember the first day as I started to recover and was laying in the bed and progressively went from crying and moaning in pain to delirious and screaming in pain, at which point I got a spinal block and a pediatrician came and did a pretty cool 'hypnosis' trick on me. After that it was all kinda fuzzy but much easier I think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

In the colder months of the year I wear 2 Mueller knee braces just like these everyday >

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-6463-S.../dp/B004N14FDA

I take 6 Fish Oil pills a day and MSM powder. It keeps a lot of the pain away. I got into doing Hip Belt Squats searching for a leg exercise that wouldn't bother my knees and I like doing them because they don't cause my knees to hurt.

My knees get sore lately from all the squatting I do. I am looking into getting some supporters. Anyone know a good brand? They aren't too bad and using a foam roller on the quads seems to help.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfen View Post
    In the colder months of the year I wear 2 Mueller knee braces just like these everyday >

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-6463-S.../dp/B004N14FDA

I take 6 Fish Oil pills a day and MSM powder. It keeps a lot of the pain away. I got into doing Hip Belt Squats searching for a leg exercise that wouldn't bother my knees and I like doing them because they don't cause my knees to hurt.

My husband uses those braces a lot too... Or, at least he should be. He doesn't want to use braces because he doesn't want to become dependent on them. Fair enough. I just wish he'd think about the pain he's in and decide which is better... I've been trying to convince him to take fish oil, but he hasn't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    My knees get sore lately from all the squatting I do. I am looking into getting some supporters. Anyone know a good brand? They aren't too bad and using a foam roller on the quads seems to help.
    Foam rollers are awesome.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have slowly been gaining weight and am always down about my inability to do things I love to do.
    You can run it by your doctor/physiotherapist, but I've heard that swimming is the least stressful exercise for your joints, and biking (on a properly sized bike) also shouldn't be hard on your knees.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    You can run it by your doctor/physiotherapist, but I've heard that swimming is the least stressful exercise for your joints, and biking (on a properly sized bike) also shouldn't be hard on your knees.
    Oddly enough, swimming helps my MIL with her knee problems, but my husband said swimming makes his knees hurt worse. I'm not sure what the deal there is. I wonder if his isn't because he's basically down to the minimal amount of cartilage in his knees...