User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My personal budget (living alone) right now for groceries is $50/week.... and i have to put eating out into that (along with living supplies).

It's not necessarily easy, I do a lot of bargain shopping, but it's not hard either -- I haven't been eating poorly and might even get more red meat than I used to. Many of the meals I make, I have leftovers for the next 2-3 meals. If I needed to do a $10 week, I suppose I could.

I buy a lot less diet soda than I used to.

It always just seems to be a trade-off between what you can scrape by with and enjoying your food a bit.
    So, you buy all the food you need with that, along with light bulbs, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, lotion, laundry detergent, paper towels, Kleenex, air freshener, dish soap, wood cleaner, glass cleaner, tile cleaner, carpet stain cleaner, toothpaste, mouthwash, and a toothbrush? You could easily spend $50 on all those things alone. I can't see how you do that, even if you just buy the cheapest brand of each regardless of quality.

I'm really sad for you that you can't afford much diet soda any more.

And it's honestly hard to imagine anyone spending that little on food, even without that. You must be starving.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, you buy all the food you need with that, along with light bulbs, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, lotion, laundry detergent, paper towels, Kleenex, air freshener, dish soap, wood cleaner, glass cleaner, tile cleaner, carpet stain cleaner, toothpaste, mouthwash, and a toothbrush? You could easily spend $50 on all those things alone. I can't see how you do that, even if you just buy the cheapest brand of each regardless of quality.

And it's honestly hard to imagine anyone spending that little on food, even without that. You must be starving.
    I think Jennifer would be doing something seriously wrong if that was the shopping list every week!

We are a family of 5 and spend about $175 a week. That includes paper product, hygiene and cleaning products. Even with that budget I have to look for sales and watch what I buy. I can easily go up to $200 without much effort. A few months ago I seriously started taking a closer look at what I was buying because I felt that we had a lot of wasted food (produce was going bad in the fridge, stuff in the pantry we never ate, etc.).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

You must be doing a lot of cleaning, wiping, showering, laundry, blowing your nose, and oral hygiene to be buying all that stuff every week!

We usually buy that kind of stuff once a month, unless we run out of something, and then we buy those items as they are needed.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My personal budget (living alone) right now for groceries is $50/week.... and i have to put eating out into that (along with living supplies).
    Hey neat, that's almost exactly what I spend, though I don't keep to a budget, I only track what I spend (average over last 4 months = 134/month groceries, 60/month on eating out)....I spend a bit more on food than I need to though, because I'd rather spend a bit extra to eat well rather than spending it in other areas.

I've seen your link before, somewhere, quite a while ago, but it's still just as fascinating. It's amazing how little families in poor countries spend on food, but I guess they don't have much money to begin with...I was kinda shocked at $341/week, too...I grew up in a family of 6 and it wasn't anywhere near that....I think it was around 200 if I recall (my mom discussed it with me once).

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ath, it's actually really easy if you know how to shop and have simple tastes. I think I eat better than most students, although I eat significantly less fast food.

Most of that "household" stuff you mentioned, you don't use very fast...I spend maybe an average of 10/month on everything you said, if even that.

MBTI
    yupp

my last grocery bill was $130. I only go about once every two weeks or more, I hate shopping I feel like I'm being judged for what I buy. I haven't really been to the store since the end of April so when I go back I'm going on a big shopping trip this weekend with my mom. I don't eat out that often maybe once a week if that and it's usually some where cheap. So I don't think I spend a lot of money on food, but I'm really bad at budgeting, I actually had to go look at my bank statement to figure out how much I spent on food.

hopefully the person I end up marrying will be good with money.

of course I can make one of those frozen meals easily last me two meals.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm glad I live in a country with economic and political stability.

I spend about $50/week.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Most of that "household" stuff you mentioned, you don't use very fast...I spend maybe an average of 10/month on everything you said, if even that.
    Exactly. It was a large expenditure up front, but long-term? Meh. It all takes a long time to get through, and hopefully runs out all at different times so you never have to pony up dough for a lot of it at once.

(For reference, when I moved in in March, I bought a 4-pack of toilet paper and a 3-pack of paper towels. I'm still either on roll 1-2 of the paper towels, might be roll 1, and on roll 2 of the toilet paper. I usually have two box of kleenex out and did go through one of them, but that's been the fastest...)

So those things aren't issues, at least for single people, once the start-up cost is paid. However, I do know that buying for a family of 4-5, you go through the paper products faster. (Maybe 8-packs of toilet paper every few weeks? Paper towels the same? I'm not sure.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i could go through a 4 pack of toilet paper in a few days!
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.