• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facial scars :(

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I have ever worn foundation in my life. I have really good skin and don't wear much makeup anyway... I'll see how it goes but this might end up being an incentive. ;)

Ah, yeah, foundation's gross, it feels like a mask. I wear the tinted moisturizer cuz it tends to feel less greasy than other high spf moisturizers, resists sweat, etc. It's very sheer in terms of the 'coverage,' thankfully. If you have stuff to protect the rest of your face overall from sun anyway, it's not necessary. Pardon my overkill, haha.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I imagine your comment about wondering why anyone'd want to minimize it may be toward silkroad, but yeah, I tend to feel the same way, they add character. In my case I wanted to make sure it was not that noticeable longterm because I didn't want it to interfere with my acting aspirations or limit that in any way, since I'm passionate about that. So i suppose that can be a factor for some people, as well. Potential external limitations. Ideally they shouldn't exist, but eh, they can and do.

Yeah, I mean the way it was described I thought instantly, "Whoa, nice! <3!" :laugh: But I didn't think of things like acting and photography.. I could see that being an issue to contend with. My scars aren't very noticable at all, no one sees them unless I point them out, but I love them anyways. I constantly look at the ones on my hand from shooting rifles and hot brass kicking back and burning me.

I don't think I have ever worn foundation in my life. I have really good skin and don't wear much makeup anyway... I'll see how it goes but this might end up being an incentive. ;)

I've been very fond of every Lush product I've ever tried.. I'm about to try a scalp treatment from them that people with eczema have been writing about. they've used it on their skin directly instead of in their hair, originally made for dandruff and flaky scalps, and said it's been a wonderful factor for calming eczema.. so maybe you can find a natural product to help if you're into the natural skincare thing. THats about all I have to offer.. I've never attempted to treat a scar before.

I did, however, use Jergens Skin Firming lotion back when they made it, religiously twice a day for a year straight, and it completely diminished the pink stretch marks on my hips from when I went through a feminine growth spurt, going from stick-to-female in like 60 seconds flat. :laugh: So I think those lotions really do help if you never skip a day and make it a conscious effort. I haven't used any lotions on my hips for that in like 6 years and they have not reverted back at all.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I mean the way it was described I thought instantly, "Whoa, nice! <3!" :laugh: But I didn't think of things like acting and photography.. I could see that being an issue to contend with. My scars aren't very noticable at all, no one sees them unless I point them out, but I love them anyways. I constantly look at the ones on my hand from shooting rifles and hot brass kicking back and burning me.

:laugh: Yeah, I like the scar on my foot from my surgery in 2010. It's a story, and plus my heel is filled with bone grafts from dead people, so it could even be haunted. And the other scar on my forehead in the upper left corner, going into my hairline from when I was a kid, when a boy chucked a rock at me, because I made fun of the X-Men [he started it, though, I swear]- my skull was exposed and I got 35 stitches outta that. It's not as noticeable now at all unless I actually pointed it out. But again, yeah, they tell silly stories you can look back on later, and enjoy the absurdity.

There's always the neat added plus of sharing said stories. It's like this innate playground trait of telling people about our hardcore boo-boos and hearing about theirs.. something I hope to never outgrow.

And about the rifles, damn. I went to a shooting range with my friend, who let me fire his AK-47, rifles get really amazingly hot, I couldn't imagine not handling them without super long gloves or something.. steam practically comes off those things. You're badass, mon. :cheers:

Last edited:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], I imagine your comment about wondering why anyone'd want to minimize it may be toward silkroad, but yeah, I tend to feel the same way, they add character. In my case I wanted to make sure it was not that noticeable longterm because I didn't want it to interfere with my acting aspirations or limit that in any way, since I'm passionate about that. So i suppose that can be a factor for some people, as well. Potential external limitations. Ideally they shouldn't exist, but eh, they can and do.

I work in an institution which is partly for training actors, and it's made me think about things like that, it's such a fascinating career path, but your physical looks (race, perceived attractiveness, any "flaws", etc) have such a huge impact - almost seems unfair or out of control. Also, I think I missed this when it actually happened but I saw a news story about an actor who got shot on stage in London - he basically lost one eye - I mean the eye is still there but it looks a bit strange. An awful, traumatic thing to happen and he says it affects his work, too - though I understand he's still had some good parts since then.

KDude

I don't think any male will notice. We are notoriously lacking in detail-orientedness :D

I'd notice.

I wouldn't mind it though. Besides, it'll probably fade. And if it doesn't, corrective procedures over that small an area could be affordable.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: Yeah, I like the scar on my foot from my surgery in 2010. It's a story, and plus my heel is filled with bone grafts from dead people, so it could even be haunted. And the other scar on my forehead in the upper left corner, going into my hairline from when I was a kid, when a boy chucked a rock at me, because I made fun of the X-Men [he started it, though, I swear]- my skull was exposed and I got 35 stitches outta that. It's not as noticeable now at all unless I actually pointed it out. But again, yeah, they tell silly stories you can look back on later, and enjoy the absurdity.

There's always the neat added plus of sharing said stories. It's like this innate playground trait of telling people about our hardcore boo-boos and hearing about theirs.. something I hope to never outgrow.

And about the rifles, damn. I went to a shooting range with my friend, who let me fire his AK-47, rifles get really amazingly hot, I couldn't imagine not handling them without super long gloves or something.. steam practically comes off those things. You're badass, mon. :cheers:

It IS! I can't help but get all prideful when people ask about what happened to my knuckle or my wrist bone. :yes: Im like "WELL! Im glad you noticed! Gather round children!"

47s get ridiculously hot.. I've had a few weapons 'run away' before (when you shoot so much on a gas-cooled weapon that it starts to automatically fire bullets even though you don't pull the trigger.. it happens more-so to machine guns when you don't change the barrel like you're suppose to..) when we were trying to get rid of ammo after a range. It's a pretty cool experience, seeing a barrel turn white from the heat.. its not good for the weapon but :shrug: still cool to do once or twice. The brass landing on you right after firing a round is worse than the weapon itself though. I've seen some pretty rad scars from people having it fall down their shirt collar and getting trapped and pushed into their skin. Its like a branding.

Also, I've told my sister who has a rad scar down her forearm on both sides she could do scarification to her arm.. a design in it and around it might make it more feminine and pretty looking.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP

*grin* Yeah, I can see all that. Maybe someday I'll stop minding. Probably in a few years when I'm smarting less from the whole thing. :p

Also now I want a haunted foot!

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was a narrow wound, anyway. It will be a line, at the worst. I feel like I might be making too much of it. But then, if they offered me plastic surgery (so to speak) they obviously felt it was worth doing something about.

One friend said she thought I was really lucky it hadn't been worse, and then said "you will just look more stunning...and scars are such a great pickup line." :D Glad I have friends to offer different sorts of reassurance!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was a narrow wound, anyway. It will be a line, at the worst. I feel like I might be making too much of it. But then, if they offered me plastic surgery (so to speak) they obviously felt it was worth doing something about.

One friend said she thought I was really lucky it hadn't been worse, and then said "you will just look more stunning...and scars are such a great pickup line." :D Glad I have friends to offer different sorts of reassurance!

People tend to assume plastic surgeon = cosmetic body modification type procedures most of the time, it seems [not that you thought that, necessarily]- but they also specialize in proper wound closure of delicate skin like on the face, &/or complex wound closure, in general. It's kinda good in a way that you were referred to one of them, they'll do a bangup job [no pun intended] - & if you have medical insurance, they will cover it as a noncosmetic expense. :yes:

KDude

plastic surgery

You wouldn't need plastic surgery unless you wanted to reshape your facial structure. More than likely scar removal would be done by laser. And you'd have better results than who it's usually suited for - people who want to lessen acne scarring. Since your scar is just a straight line and probably isn't affecting the "level" or texture of the skin, it'll be even easier to fix.

I don't mean to repeat anything that's probably said before. I've only read the OP.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You wouldn't need plastic surgery unless you wanted to reshape your facial structure. More than likely scar removal would be done by laser. And you'd have better results than whom it's usually suited for - people who want to lessen acne scarring. Since your scar is just a straight line and probably isn't affecting the "level" or texture of the skin, it'll be even easier to fix.

I don't mean to repeat anything that's probably said before. I've only read the OP.

It's not really "plastic surgery" but it is being done tomorrow (when I say "done" I mean cleaned/sewed up/glued or whatever they do) by the plastics unit. I really thought they would just give me stitches right then but they said this way it will lessen the chances of scarring. I am impressed they offered me this - though it does mean I have to go in at 7:30 and be prepared to wait for hours (obviously it won't be their biggest priority of the day.)

I live in a country with public health care, so I'm all good. :D

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It IS! I can't help but get all prideful when people ask about what happened to my knuckle or my wrist bone. :yes: Im like "WELL! Im glad you noticed! Gather round children!"

47s get ridiculously hot.. I've had a few weapons 'run away' before (when you shoot so much on a gas-cooled weapon that it starts to automatically fire bullets even though you don't pull the trigger.. it happens more-so to machine guns when you don't change the barrel like you're suppose to..) when we were trying to get rid of ammo after a range. It's a pretty cool experience, seeing a barrel turn white from the heat.. its not good for the weapon but :shrug: still cool to do once or twice. The brass landing on you right after firing a round is worse than the weapon itself though. I've seen some pretty rad scars from people having it fall down their shirt collar and getting trapped and pushed into their skin. Its like a branding.

Also, I've told my sister who has a rad scar down her forearm on both sides she could do scarification to her arm.. a design in it and around it might make it more feminine and pretty looking.

:laugh: I love that you can't resist making the rifle sort of explode a little.. that's fucking awesome, I'm actually laughing.

:thinking: Scarification, hmm.. I bet I could easily make my scar look like a backward percent % symbol.. maybe I'll draw that on with eyeliner and ask my doctor what she thinks at my next followup, just to give her a fright for a moment- NOOO MY WORK! YOU MUSTN'T RUIN MY WORRRRRK! *she grabs a scalpel, & locks the exam room door*

I dig your recommendation for your sister, though- I've seen that stuff done on some friends, it actually looks cool.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: I love that you can't resist making the rifle sort of explode a little.. that's fucking awesome, I'm actually laughing.

:thinking: Scarification, hmm.. I bet I could easily make my scar look like a backward percent % symbol.. maybe I'll draw that on with eyeliner and ask my doctor what she thinks at my next followup, just to give her a fright for a moment- NOOO MY WORK! YOU MUSTN'T RUIN MY WORRRRRK! *she grabs a scalpel, & locks the exam room door*

I dig your recommendation for your sister, though- I've seen that stuff done on some friends, it actually looks cool.

:D I could see your doctor's sudden frown.. "I told her that Jack is a bad influence!"

Yeah, her scar is on both sides of her forearm--rather large and runs the entire length from elbow to wrist. A good artist could turn that into some incredibly complex henna-like designs, or turn it into lightning bolts running along her arm or something. If I had a huge scar like that, I think I'd do that for sure if I ever thought it looked 'ugly' on me. My sister used to wear arm warmers everywhere because she didn't like it for the first year.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:D I could see your doctor's sudden frown.. "I told her that Jack is a bad influence!"

Yeah, her scar is on both sides of her forearm--rather large and runs the entire length from elbow to wrist. A good artist could turn that into some incredibly complex henna-like designs, or turn it into lightning bolts running along her arm or something. If I had a huge scar like that, I think I'd do that for sure if I ever thought it looked 'ugly' on me. My sister used to wear arm warmers everywhere because she didn't like it for the first year.

Whatever she does with 'em.. I bet there's a killer story about them, all the same.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm thinking about getting a zip-pull tattoo at the top of my big scar. Or possibly an "ACCESS RESTRICTED" stamp. Or both. I keep meaning to get it done in henna to see whether I like it, but never seem to get around to it...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
People don't notice. I have a scar between the middle of my upper lip to the beginning of my nose (so, above my lip) from splitting it on a hose valve when I was three. A plastic surgeon stitched me up. If anything, It makes me happy because it's unique. Don't stress. :)

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Scars are interesting. In my opinion it represents a certain resilience of the individual. It's a conversation starter, something that can be talked about, and something to learn from.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think any male will notice. We are notoriously lacking in detail-orientedness :D

It probably won't have any effect on your attractiveness in either direction. And if somebody has a romantic interest in you they will not only not mind but might actually associate it with you and love it for being a part of you.

Basically, it adds character and makes you even more unique.

Bless you both for saying such things. :bows: